The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

View Poll Results: mentor or bookworm
Did you learn to reload face to face with a mentor 11 23.91%
Did you learn to reload by reading 35 76.09%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 8, 2007, 08:11 PM   #1
fisherman66

mentor or bookworm learner

Did you learn to hand load from a father or another individual or were you able to pick it up by reading manuals and messageboard posting?
Old June 8, 2007, 08:41 PM   #2
Rimrod

Quote:
messageboard posting?
Not hardly, it was back in the late 70s.
Old June 8, 2007, 08:41 PM   #3
gb_in_ga

I learned from my father, using his equipment, when I was a teenager. Rifle (.308, .300 Savage, 7mm Rem Mag) and 12 ga shotgun.
Old June 8, 2007, 10:24 PM   #4
amamnn

I learned from my grandfather and my father when I was a kid--started at seven. They were sources of important information most of the time, but were also sources of misinformation and disinformation and old wife's (husband's?) tales, as well. Online forums are no better. Experience is the best teacher along with every loading manual you can afford to buy. The Lee "Modern Reloading" book is a good starting place, but remember Richard Lee has his own agenda.
Old June 8, 2007, 11:09 PM   #5
Stargazer

Read, read more and figure it out.

M70 Web Page
Old June 8, 2007, 11:29 PM   #6
mrawesome22

I searched and searched for a mentor.

I put reloading off for years because I couldn't find anyone to show me the ropes. I had an interest since I was about 13 years old.

A few years ago I found this forum. I am very thankful to all the helpful folks on this forum. They held my hand through the whole learning process.

I remember when I didn't even know what case lube was.

Now I have thousands of reloads under my belt.

I try to spread the gospel of handloading to everyone I can. So far I have two converts. My father and my father in law.

I am impressed that 2 years ago I didn't know what case lube was, and now I'm guiding new handloaders.
Old June 9, 2007, 12:27 AM   #7
44 AMP
Staff

Did some reading

And started reloading in the early 1970s. I have made a few rounds since then, from .22 Hornet to .458WinMag. I currently have dies for over 25 different cartridges.

Personal computers did not exist when I began reloading, so no, message boards were not a big factor for me.
Old June 9, 2007, 12:43 AM   #8
DonR101395

From a friend.
Old June 9, 2007, 07:17 AM   #9
hivel37

I learned the basics in the '60's. Mostly from reading.
No shots in the dark when it comes to load information.
I'm still learning.
Old June 9, 2007, 07:35 AM   #10
fisherman66

Thanks for responding. The poll results are different from what I expected. I will see if I can dig up a copy of Lee's Modern Reloading from the local 1/2 priced books. If I can't find it there I'll order one of the press/book combo's from Midway.

Thanks again
Old June 9, 2007, 08:43 AM   #11
Mr Beta

I mentioned to my father when I was about 13 that it'd be cool to learn to reload.
He came later that week with a Rock Chucker Press kit.
Almost 10 years later, I still have the bug.
Old June 9, 2007, 08:57 AM   #12
Shane Tuttle
Staff

A co-worker/friend tought me the ropes. Everything from what a good basic setup should be to how to load carefully. I learned how to load accurately by others and some books. However, I'm still in the baby stages of long distance (out to 600) accuracy.

Sure wish I had a 1000 yard range around here to be mentored....

I'm almost a pure kinestetic learner. So, on-the-job training is best for me. But, I definitely read books, too...

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old June 9, 2007, 11:40 AM   #13
crowbeaner

I learned how to reload by watching and asking questions from a childhood friend's father. I used to watch mim use an old Lyman Tru-line Jr. press. He taught me how to load .357s, .222 magnum, .222s and the occasional 12 gauge. It sure didn't put out the flame, just fanned it. I started loading for myself when I bought my first handgun a Ruger .357 convertible.
Old June 9, 2007, 02:34 PM   #14
Hobie

You didn't provide the choice of "both". I read every written word on the subject and talked over problems with experienced loaders AFTER research.

Hobie
Shooting With Hobie
Old June 9, 2007, 03:46 PM   #15
fisherman66

I assume every hand loader reads the manuals. I was curious how many had just the manuals.
Old June 9, 2007, 08:04 PM   #16
boltgun71

I learned from a friend who shoots. He took me under his wing and showed me how to reload when I was 15, right after I started to get into long range centerfire rifle shooting. He did it on one condition that he made me promise. He purchased everything I needed to start reloading, RCBS Rockchucker Supreme kit, dies, brass, bullets, powder, primers, and two manuals, all as a gift for me. His only condition was that someday I return the favor to another kid when I am older, and teach them how to reload and help them with their equipment if they cant afford it themselves(which I couldn't at the time). I fully intend to keep the promise and am still waiting to find the right kid with a passion for shooting to teach and equip for reloading. With the Lee Anniversary Kit still around, it will be a good kit to purchase for a new reloader I believe.
Old June 9, 2007, 11:02 PM   #17
Trapper L

I learned from some of the best. A Mr. Kline who had a gunshop in San Antonio introduced me to the art. Mr. Kline was also a notable benchrest shooter that shot a near one hole group in Illinois at a practice match for the 1000 yd targets with a custom 308 Norma Mag. The target hung on the wall in the shop until it closed at his death. Then I was brought along more by a gentleman from New Braunsfels by the name of Bob Pease. Any of you older benchrest guys will know the name. I still have some of Bobs hand written notes about accuracy, gun building, and loading. I still have a Remington 40X that he and I put together for 100 yd matches. It has shot a one hole group in the now imfamous Houston Warehouse. Now I pass along the knowledge to at least two Boy Scout groups each year. We go over gun safety and then the different components and then the boys are sat down for a one on one loading session where they get to make 5 of their own rounds. We get to meet at a local gun range and go over gun safety again and then they get to shoot their rounds. Usually, I have them load 357 Magnum rounds- just not mag velocities. I probably look forward to these events more than the boys- it's a hoot!
FWIW, I also learned how to shoot a rifle from one of the best. Ever heard a gentleman by the name of Topperwein? He lived about three miles down the road and we shot what had to be millions of rounds of 22 behind his house. He was quite a colorful guy and the ammo was cheap- free. Winchester would send ammo by the crates.
Old June 10, 2007, 08:45 AM   #18
hivel37

Trapper, my mother grew up in Pleasanton and saw Ad shoot several times. His "indian" targets are all over SA. Wish I had one.

Thanks for helping out with the kids.