The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old March 31, 2015, 08:55 PM   #51
Andy Blozinski

I was slightly nervous about being called out for a very short time. The longer term effect is a little more subtle. Think about it like wearing clothes.
If you had never worn clothes, you would feel more vulnerable about some things than others. Being naked means nothing to you.
Once you wear clothes, you feel more secure when wearing them and feel naked and extra vulnerable when you're not.
Old March 31, 2015, 09:30 PM   #52
suncoastarmory

Ive been carrying for several years now. I was nervous at the beginning and it took me while to feel comfortable enough to carry with a round chambered.
Old April 1, 2015, 12:06 AM   #53
Limnophile

The idea of carrying with a round in the chamber went against much of the hunter safety training of my youth, so after getting my first carry pistol, I researched carry options -- condition 1, 2, or 3 -- while waiting for my first holster to arrive.

I dismissed condition 3 because I at the time my left shoulder was frozen and racking the slide was a painful and by no means fast process. I also, while having lunch in a local park, engaged a local LEO who pulled into the park for a break on the topic. He said he saw little point in carrying a handgun without a round chambered, and that conversation cemented my decision to abandon serious thought of condition 3 carry.

As I debated between condition 1 and 2 I carefully examined my gun's safeties until I had a good feeling how they worked. I concluded condition 1 carry was optimal, but was concerned that my thumb safety could be inadvertently disengaged without my knowledge while being carried. To see whether this might happen, upon my holster arriving, I carried condition 1 without any ammo in the pistol. I felt like an idiot. It was my first time carrying concealed, so I had all the first-timer anxiety about being made as an armed person in addition to being dumb enough to be carrying an empty gun. If made and confronted, I could have remained cool and claimed I had expended all my ammo in a harrowing, but successful, self-defense encounter up the road, but only someone more foolish than me would have bought such a story given the fact that the gun had not been fired since its last cleaning.

Anyway, my test carry resulted in the thumb safety remaining engaged. Further examination of my gun's and holster's safety features convinced me that condition 1 carry was very safe, because, even if the thumb safety did become disengaged, the trigger has to be pulled for the gun to fire, and the holster fully protects the trigger from being moved.

I encountered heightened first-timer anxiety by carrying an empty gun. I think the absurdity of that experience helped me put such anxiety behind me more quickly. And, it had the benefit of being a relatively safe way to carry concealed for the first time.
Old April 1, 2015, 01:09 AM   #54
Water-Man

Got my first License To Carry in 1968. My carry revolver was a 1953 S&W M&P snubby.
Old April 1, 2015, 01:20 AM   #55
BornToLooze

When I started carrying my options were a 4" N frame S&W or a 1911 since that was all I had, and I planned on getting something smaller when I had the money. Now, every time I get a smaller gun so it will be easier to conceal I end up selling it because I'm so used to carrying a full size gun.

And I swear I'm the opposite of everyone else, but since I was young I had a gun won't go off until you pull the trigger drilled into my head, so I carried my 1911 with the safety off and the grip safety taped down for a couple years.
Old April 1, 2015, 02:25 AM   #56
stagpanther

Going on my 6th year now. Where, when and what I carry varies depending on the locale and what the rules are. Generally when I do carry there's one in the well ready to go.

Once I was at a public outdoor event with my loaded lcp in my front pocket in a southern city known for it's high crime rate. Suddenly there was a flurry in the crowd and some really big guys with curly wires going to their ears appeared around me. Next thing I knew there was a former President of the United States and his wife standing next to me. The big guys were looking at me intently while listening to their earpieces--intuition told me to keep my arms and hands as free and clear of my body as I could. Thought I was going to have to change my shorts.
Old April 1, 2015, 03:03 AM   #57
Limnophile

Quote:
since I was young I had a gun won't go off until you pull the trigger drilled into my head, so I carried my 1911 with the safety off and the grip safety taped down for a couple years.
Depending on when those two years were, you might be the man who invented Glock carry.
Old April 3, 2015, 11:25 AM   #58
Stevie-Ray

About 13 years ago now. I was carrying for the first day around the house, and the wife sent me to Meijer for some groceries. Yes, it felt weird, though nobody gave me a second look. It's now natural, and if I leave home without my primary, for whatever reason, not only do I have my BUG on me, but I usually turn around to get it, depending on how far I've gone. Normally, it's on me, right off the nightstand, but there are times, i.e. crawling under a vehicle, working in the yard, etc. where only the BUG resides, but I'm still always armed.
Old April 5, 2015, 10:27 PM   #59
j3ffr0

The very first time I carried I got pulled over for a tail-light being out or expired inspection -- something sill like that. I told the officer I had a permit and I was carrying my weapon. He asked me where it was. I told him right front pocket. He told me just to keep my hands on the wheel at all times.

Very strange luck that I would get pulled over the very first time I carried. All I was doing was going to the Sonic to get chili dogs for my wife and I.
Old April 7, 2015, 11:22 AM   #60
indie_rocker

I was so nervous the first time I was stopped by the police after I started carrying, my hands and voice were shaking a bit. Thank God the officer was so casual about it. "Officer, I have a CPL and I am carrying." "That's great sir, where abouts on your person is it?" "Right hip." "Very good, keep it there." It was my birthday, so after a rather intense grilling about whether or not I had drank any alcohol that day he told me to have a nice day and watch my speed, lol.
Old April 8, 2015, 11:26 AM   #61
SauerGrapes

Funny, first day I carried was with my deceased father's S&W 12-2 k frame. Stopped in the notary office to ask them something. (Don't recall what ) I hear their front door open and close, turn around and walking towards me is one of the Ridley township officers.
Don't know why I was nervous. Not like I was doing anything wrong. Last person I expected to run into I guess. LOL

R.I.P.____Murphy
Old April 9, 2015, 07:47 AM   #62
Magnum Wheel Man

It's been almost 10 years now... my 1st ( carry ) gun, an Air Weight J frame in 32 H&R Magnum, local shop didn't have a "good" holster, so I opted for a cheap Uncle Mikes nylon... only one that fit had no retention strap... gun kept falling out, when I'd get out of my 4 X 4 truck... several times it skittered across a drive way or parking lot... just sickened me the cosmetic damage to the coated aluminum frame, on a brand new, discontinued revolver...

I've never been one to pocket carry... always have other stuff in my pockets...

Was I nervous... you bet... I was so paranoid walking into the 1st store with the scanners at the front doors... what would I do if it went off???

1st interaction with law enforcement... I had resolved to tell them if I thought things would progress more than a conversation... never had any issues, but that didn't mean I didn't have stress

thought everyone would see the "print" & know it was a gun... I do like how MN words the law... you can legally carry open, but they ( at least locally ) encourage concealed carry... so if you print too heavily, or your shirt should rise up, there is no legal issues

silly things really...

now I play bar league Texas Holdem, with several officers, a couple lawyers, & a judge... I don't think any of them carries & even have had conversations with my police lieutenant buddy, & I don't think he carries off duty... I may be the only one with a gun at the poker table, & most know I carry, & they still play cards with me
Old April 18, 2015, 01:39 PM   #63
Slimjim9

Why yes, yes I do! Cuz it was just this morning!

Sorry, nothing exciting to report. Just pocket carried my Ruger KLCR to the range, Chickfila, then back home. Still, gotta start somewhere, right?
Old April 18, 2015, 01:50 PM   #64
TxWheels

Started carrying a 1911 .45 almost 50 years ago. Slightly uncomfortable at first. Still carry a 1911 .45 today and never leave home with out it!
Old April 19, 2015, 07:35 PM   #65
power5

About 6 months in. Was not nervous about being made as I often try to guess who is carrying around me and have never been able to know for sure. Yesterday was the first time I was face to face with a cop while carrying. Was on my property after I called about a car parked in my driveway. Both officers had no idea I was armed. I bent over a couple times since my daughters wanted to be picked up as well. So I am supremely confident in my 4 o'clock iwb lc9s setup. And this was in shorts and a tshirt.
Old April 21, 2015, 10:45 AM   #66
smokehouse4444

I definitely remember, as it was important to me to be able to obtain one after my wild-ass past. I was very self-conscious about it and found myself doing those "things" that new carriers do. Fiddling around with it, constantly checking it, constantly checking that my shirt was not riding up, etc... It's just completely natural now, and I actually feel a little "naked" without one. I do work in an environment where you are not allowed to carry, so I just deal with that daily.

I had a lot of good advice on this forum to help with starting up, and eventually have come to a good place with how and what I carry. Same as some...small, medium, and large. I pocket carried with my old Colt Mustang. That has now changed to light gym shorts/dirty property work/around the house jammies with my light, little Taurus TCP 380. Light/small carry (either pocket or IWB) with the new SIG P238.
My primary, almost all of the time carry is the Kahr CM9 with a Sticky Holster. Honestly, this is just one of the very best carry pieces I could own. Doesn't cost much, extremely light, tough, great DA trigger, and it has been 100% reliable from the first day I had it out of the box.
For "bigger" carry, it is the SIG P245, and if I really want to have some firepower, the high cap Springfield XDm 45acp, both with a Sticky Holster.

I have always carried cross-draw, and really preferred that. However, recently I have been checking out appendix carry. I really like that for presentation, but it is not as good when sitting, particularly in the car, and it still makes me nervous having the business end pointing right at my junk, or femoral artery. So experimenting with that.

As an aside, I also often try to guess who is carrying, but usually can't.
Old April 22, 2015, 11:07 AM   #67
Stevie-Ray

Quote:
Why yes, yes I do! Cuz it was just this morning!
Congratulations!