The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 3, 2007, 03:30 PM   #1
graham82

Another noobie with a question.

I'm hooked. I started visiting this forum late last year and you guys are a great source of info. Thanks to this forum I have already puchased and read manuals, equipment, componets, and reloaded and shot my first reloads safely. Reloading your own is great!

Here is my question. Everything I read says to full length resize all rifle cases for semi-auto's. Why can't I just neck size a fireformed case if it is going to be used in the same rifle?
Old June 3, 2007, 04:22 PM   #2
mrawesome22

You can but it is not advised. Full length sizing is recommended for auto's to increase reliablity. Full length sized feed better since the tolerance between chamber and brass is not nearly as tight.
Old June 3, 2007, 07:48 PM   #3
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

A semi-auto doesn't have as much force to seat the cartridge into the chamber; it lacks the camming force of a bolt-action. If the case is a bit tight (enlarged) from the previous firing, the semi-auto can fail to lock into battery.

Assuring reliability is a major reason for "small base" dies.

Art
Old June 3, 2007, 11:20 PM   #4
steve4102

When a round is fired in a bolt gun the brass expands to fit the chamber and then springs back a bit for easy extraction. Things are a little different in an auto-loader. After the round is fired it can still be under a bit of pressure when it is extracted. This can cause the "head to shoulder" measurement to be greater than the chamber it was fired in. Brass that is too long/fat to fit easily into the chamber can cause problems like jambing and "out of battery" fire.
FL your semi-autos for reliability and safety.
Old June 4, 2007, 10:55 AM   #5
Shoney

Just to add one step further to the excellent comments by Art Eatman and steve4102, consider that unburned powder grains may loadge in the chamber, or that under adverse and/or battle conditons, grit can find it's way into chambers and onto cartridges. Zero tollerance ammo in the chamber will cause problems of jambing, failure to fire out of battery, and out of battery firing.

For reliability, FL resize.
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old June 5, 2007, 11:03 PM   #6
mc223

zap

Last edited by mc223; June 6, 2007 at 05:59 AM.
Old June 6, 2007, 01:59 PM   #7
crowbeaner

I use a SB die to size my brass for my 742 in 3006. The loaded round has to sit on the bottom of the chamber to be able to obturate properly in the chamber and extract. I also stick to medium powders to avoid extraction problems.
Old June 8, 2007, 04:07 PM   #8
graham82

Thanks for all the great answers.
Old June 8, 2007, 08:00 PM   #9
CrustyFN

graham82, congratulations on your equipment and your first reloads. There is nothing like the feeling of shooting your own reloads for the first time. Welcome to reloading and load safe.
Rusty