The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old March 9, 2013, 11:03 PM   #1
Canardman

45acp wheel gun

Hi all, I did a search without much return. I am a big fan of lever guns and revolvers. I carry a .45 auto as my daily side-kick, but my heart will always be with revolvers. With that said, can I get some input from folks who own revolvers that fire .45acp? Do you like them, are they accurate, is the moon clip more trouble than it is worth???
A local gun shop has a Ruger Blackhawk that shoots .45 Long Colt and .45acp. I have several Ruger products and S&W as well. I'd really like to find a S&W 625-8 (correct me if I have the wrong model #). I have absolutely no experience with revolvers that can fire rimless cartridges but the idea intrigues me and I have ample ammo to run through it!
Thanks for any input, -C-Man-

**EDIT** Guess this would have been better in "revolver" section... Sorry.

Last edited by Canardman; March 9, 2013 at 11:18 PM.
Old March 9, 2013, 11:18 PM   #2
SDF880

I have a S&W Governor and shoot .45ACP's thru it quite often. I have kinda gotten used to the moon clips but do struggle with them every now and then. I have a harder time unloading the clips than loading them. I have all kinds of clips for the Governor and have 2 shot, 4 shot and 6 shot clips pretty much allowing any combo of ammo I want. Right now I run 4 .410 PDX in the first 4 shots and 2 .45ACP +P for last 2 follow up shots. It's my back-up to my back-up and still an experiment/work in progress revolver but I do like shooting .45's out of it!
Old March 9, 2013, 11:35 PM   #3
Canardman

How is it as far as accuracy?
Old March 9, 2013, 11:42 PM   #4
SDF880

I usually run the target out to 21ft and I can get an OK group with it. I don't claim to be anything above an average shot and the gun and probably any gun can shoot better than I can. I do like the build and quality and have been looking at the 625 series too.
Old March 10, 2013, 12:49 AM   #5
The Great Mahoo

I have a S&W 625MG chambered in 45LC that I had cut for moons, it now handles 45acp nicely. I love it, as it lets me shoot the revolver much more often (acp's are much cheaper). Overall, I am quite happy. A bit large for a .45acp with 6 shots (compared to my glock 36), but very nice overall. My only complain with the moon clips is that they are a pain to unload, but a de-mooner tool goes a long way to helping that; using leverage to pop the cases out makes it a breeze with the little $3 tool.

One thing I've noticed; the acp's shot a tad low compared to the colt rounds, but it can be worked around.
Old March 10, 2013, 12:56 AM   #6
Texshooter

Also have the Gov., and shooting .45 acp out of it is some of the most fun I have ever had shooting

Obviously, more accurate than I am. Good for self-defense? I would assume so.

I, also, would like to acquire a Mod 25 or Ruger convert.
Old March 10, 2013, 01:23 AM   #7
drail

I have been shooting a S&W 625-2 since 1988. It is the most accurate S&W revolver I have ever seen. It does not care what kind of bullets you use. It just prints one hole groups all day long. Watch some Jerry Miculek videos on Youtube if you want to see what a great idea S&W had when they built these guns.
Old March 10, 2013, 04:41 AM   #8
rep1954

I have shot the 45ACP in both double action and single action revolvers, the S&W 325, S&W Model 21, Colt SAA, and a custom Ruger OM midsize Blackhawk. I never felt the moon clips were ever a problem but an asset. Being fairly inexspensive you can own enough to load up for plenty of range time before you leave for the range. They make great speed loaders for carry. You dont have to get the real fancy tools for removing cases from the clips as the single one at a time tool works rather well once you get the hang of it. In single actions it's great as the rounds eject so much better than the 45 Colts do not to mention the wide array of ammo offered for the 45 ACP over that of the 45 Colt
Old March 10, 2013, 05:08 AM   #9
natman

45 ACP revolvers shoot great. The moon clips act as instant speed loaders and are easy to unclip if you use the right tool.

The fancy jig looks slick, but either of the simple tools, the lever or the screwdriver works just fine.
Old March 10, 2013, 06:50 AM   #10
Zhillsauditor

I have a 625 and it is one heck of a gun. I'm always on the lookout for another S&W 45acp revolver.
Old March 10, 2013, 07:46 AM   #11
more_bullets

Would you pay $900 for a 625 in excellent shape?
Old March 10, 2013, 08:18 AM   #12
Canardman

Quote:
Would you pay $900 for a 625 in excellent shape?
Um, no. That's a little more than what I would want to pay. I'll rephrase my earlier comment. I would like to find a reasonably priced S&W.
Old March 10, 2013, 09:06 AM   #13
kutz

My Thunder Ranch Smith & wesson Performance Center shoots great.
Old March 10, 2013, 09:59 AM   #14
roaddog28

Canardman,
While I don't have a 45ACP revolver I do have a Black hawk 357/9mm revolver. I find myself shooting more 9mm in this revolver than 357. In fact I don't take the 357 cylinder to the range. I have more fun shooting 9mm rounds. Despite what others say, the accurately on convertables is not bad. I can keep tight groups out to 20 yrds with my Blackhawk. With my aging eyes thats good enough for this old fellow. The S&W 625 is a fine revolver but I have never seen one for less than $850. Thats too rich for me. You can find a Black hawk for a lot less and have just as much fun. Plus if you reload the Black hawk is a better option. If I were you I would go for it.
Good luck,
Howard
Old March 10, 2013, 10:34 AM   #15
arch308

My Blackhawk 45 with the ACP cylinder is a lot of fun and no moon clips to bother with. I also have the option to use the 45Colt cylinder for hunting.
Old March 10, 2013, 10:39 AM   #16
Canardman

Quote:
Canardman,
While I don't have a 45ACP revolver I do have a Black hawk 357/9mm revolver. I find myself shooting more 9mm in this revolver than 357. In fact I don't take the 357 cylinder to the range. I have more fun shooting 9mm rounds. Despite what others say, the accurately on convertables is not bad. I can keep tight groups out to 20 yrds with my Blackhawk. With my aging eyes thats good enough for this old fellow. The S&W 625 is a fine revolver but I have never seen one for less than $850. Thats too rich for me. You can find a Black hawk for a lot less and have just as much fun. Plus if you reload the Black hawk is a better option. If I were you I would go for it.
Good luck,
Howard
They have the Blackhawk NIB for $549 at my local gun shop. I'm really thinking hard about it. I have a 50th Anniversary Blackhawk .357 and a Single Six. I love the Single Six and have never fired the .357. I figure one of these days it may be worth something NIB. Anyway, with all the Ruger firearms I own, I am not dissatisfied with any of them. (P90, SR556, 10/22)
As far as my statement about a "reasonable" price, let me crawfish a little. That seems to be the going price for them, just more than I want to pay for a "plinker". And I do reload, so this may be the correct option for me.
Old March 10, 2013, 11:06 AM   #17
Seaman

Ahoy C-Man,

I'm just handloading a batch of 45 ACPs for tomorrows shoot. S&W 22-4, (Indiana Jones gun), S&W NightGuard in 45ACP, a 1911 Commander and a 1911 3" Springfield Armory Micro. The revolvers shoot pretty much 1" groups at CCW distances, the 1911s do it quicker.

Moon clips... I use long nose pliers to remove the brass (every tool-box has a pair), and they are easy to roll back on by hand. In action, pretty much as quick change as a semi mag.

They are all part of my CCW rotation and a hoot to shoot.

The best to you. and welcome aboard.
Old March 10, 2013, 11:55 AM   #18
Navy joe

For carry take a look at the 325, an excellent carry piece and one of my favorite guns. To appreciate the classics, skip the 625 and find a used Model 25 if you can. I have and like very much a 625 and a 325, would love to find a 25 to add. Moonclips are great, makes you wonder why speedloaders aren't as great. Dillon sells a tool to de-moon and clip up ammo, but it is not needed. I made a de-mooner out of a piece of pipe and ammo clips in easily by hand. For range use the Rimz plastic moonclips are great, easy to get ammo in and out, don't like them for carry since they willprobably scatter the ammo if you drop them.
Old March 10, 2013, 12:03 PM   #19
Canardman

This won't be my CCW, just a target killer. Thinking on the Blackhawk, it has a loading gate, does the cylinder have to be removed for each reload?
Old March 10, 2013, 12:04 PM   #20
budd

.45 ACP

I have a Taurus Tracker 4 inch in .45 ACP Model 455 I believe. It is fun and accurate and has five shot "moon clips" which is a fast for reloading. The Taurus has proven accurate and reliable and fun.

J.Budd
Old March 10, 2013, 12:47 PM   #21
RickB

I have a Thunder Ranch 22, and an old Hand Ejector Mk. II sort-of converted to .45 ACP via a M1917 cylinder.
The 22 was at the range with me, yesterday.
I have never been able to get more than about 90% reliabilty out of it, even though it's had the factory "Master Action Job", and I'm very careful about seating primers (I think I've had one dud round in any gun other than that revolver, in 20 years of handloading). I'd managed to lay hands on a supply of Federal primers recently, and the gun ran 48-for-48 yesterday, so I'm glad for that, even though I'm still a bit miffed that I have to load special ammo for that one gun.
The old Mk.II still has the .457" bore that the Brits insisted on, so I try to load .454" lead bullets for that one, and it shoots OK.
Accuracy of the 22 is good. In single action, I can shoot it just about as well as anything else for accuracy, but the "half a nickel" front sight can catch reflections that trick you into thinking the top of the front sight is somewhere it's not, and that can cause me to shoot high. With the sun low in the sky yesterday afternoon, the sights were perfect.
Hardly a hassle, the guy who invented full-moon clips should get some sort of lifetime achievement award. All revolvers should have moons.
After seeing one of the tubular demooners, I made one out a dime's worth of half-inch copper pipe; really saves the fingers.
Old March 10, 2013, 01:39 PM   #22
drail

I would pay $900 for a perfect 625-2 Smith. I would not take any amount of money for mine. They didn't make very many and they are tackdrivers.
Old March 10, 2013, 01:39 PM   #23
Ferretboy

there is a .45 ACP conversion of a Welby top break here in Longview WA at one of the Pawn shops.
Old March 10, 2013, 04:52 PM   #24
Petespacking

My Smith 625 5" is very accurate, I'll never get rid of it.
Old March 10, 2013, 05:29 PM   #25
rep1954

Quote:
This won't be my CCW, just a target killer. Thinking on the Blackhawk, it has a loading gate, does the cylinder have to be removed for each reload?
No you don't have to remove the cylinder. The cartridge head spaces on the front edge of the cartridge. The 45 ACP cylinder is chambered to the correct depth to hold the cartridges in the proper position. Operation of the gun remains the same as if you were shooting it with the 45 Colt cylinder.