The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old December 24, 2011, 10:09 PM   #1
Andy Griffith

Correct Treso nipple # for a Uberti Paterson?

If someone can fill me in on the correct Treso nipple item number for a Uberti Paterson. Am I correct that it is the 11-50-16 or the 5.5x.9 nipples?
I'm going to replace these odd-ball crosschecked nipples for something a bit easier to get out and put the original nipples in the box. I was tight and didn't want to pay the outrageous price for the 4-prong nipple wrench, so I used a Dremel and modified a 3/16" nut driver to fit it- it was a lot of work and it isn't very pretty, but it got the nipples out.

If someone can verify the Uberti Walker numbers as #11-50-13 or 1/4x28 nipples, I'd appreciate it. It's a 1995 (BF) dated Uberti- in case there was a change. I do not have this Walker available until after the first of the year.

These are my first two Uberti revolvers- everything else I've owned have been Piettas.

Last edited by Andy Griffith; December 24, 2011 at 10:25 PM.
Old December 25, 2011, 07:56 AM   #2
mykeal

I don't have a Paterson, so I can't help with that one, but...

I do have a Uberti Walker. Yes, the nipple threads are 1/4x28. As for the Treso part number I believe the 11-50-01 is a better choice. The OEM nipples on my gun are rather tall, 0.627" overall (including the threaded portion). The 11-50-13 Treso nipple is just 0.538" tall overall, with a cone height of 0.327". The 11-50-01 is a better height match at 0.635" overall with a cone height of 0.433".

The important dimension is the cone height, of course, and I don't have that number for the Uberti OEM nipple, but the 11-50-01 is much more likely to be correct. The difference between the two Tresos is rather substantial (0.106"), almost all of it in the cone.
Old December 25, 2011, 09:58 PM   #3
Andy Griffith

Thanks, I'm glad I asked and I'm placing an order on Tuesday.

Tell me one other thing, it seems that in a magazine or book I read years ago, that someone replaced the nipples on a Walker with musket nipples. Am I just mistaking this for something else? Is my memory playing tricks with me? I do know that some of the early reproductions did use #12 percussion caps, which are much larger than the #11's.
Old December 28, 2011, 02:36 PM   #4
mykeal

I suppose it's possible, but I can't imagine why one would do that. Some people just can't keep their tools away from their guns, I guess.
Old December 28, 2011, 03:00 PM   #5
Andy Griffith

Ya never know when a feller is blessed with a lifetime supply of free musket caps.

I just got Estwing framing hammer for use as a nipple installation/removal tool!
Just'a itching to try it out.

Last edited by Andy Griffith; December 28, 2011 at 03:39 PM.
Old December 28, 2011, 03:23 PM   #6
Southron

Walker Repro Percussion Caps

I would advise against installing Musket Cap Nipples on a Walker, even IF I were sure it could be done.

A spent musket cap would no doubt "lock up" a Walker's action IF it fell off the nipple and into the action! [A habit spent caps have when it comes to Colt actions.]
Old December 28, 2011, 03:34 PM   #7
Andy Griffith

Treso nipples on my 1860's have eliminated 99% of cap fragment jams on my 1860's- likely because of the small flash hole. Any other mishap is...user error (me).

I just kind of kidding on the Walker, but they did use #12 caps at one time.

Last edited by Andy Griffith; December 28, 2011 at 03:40 PM.