The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 20, 2007, 02:46 PM   #1
GJJ

My first reloading order - nearly fell out of my chair

So, I am thinking I might like to reload. I have read much of the ABCs of reloading and even bought a Classic Lee kit.

I put together an order on the Midway USA site for primers, bullets, powder. At checkout, they list an additional $9.99 shipping fee on top of the UPS ground charges. AND, the list a $40 hazmat fee for the powder.

1. Are these gov't regulations or just a way to discourage/gouge reloaders?
2. Do any of these catalog houses actually sell powder with these prices?

Of course, I didn't place the order.

Dave
Old April 20, 2007, 02:52 PM   #2
hodaka

Yes, the powder and primers are best bought locally, or buy a WHOLE lot of each. There is a hazmat shipping fee for both primers and powder, and they are not shipped together.
Old April 20, 2007, 03:01 PM   #3
Abstract

The problem with Midway is that they ship their primers and powder from different locations. Check out Powder Valley. They're cheaper than Midway on both powder and primers, and they'll mix powder and primers in the same shipment, generating only one $20 Hazmat fee.
Old April 20, 2007, 03:13 PM   #4
Mike Irwin
Staff

I like Midway, but I don't like their powder/primer prices, and I don't much care for how they package those items.

That's why I, too, buy from Powder Valley.

A couple of years ago I put together a large group buy on powder.

I'm good for the next probably 10 years.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old April 20, 2007, 03:32 PM   #5
benedict1

+1 Powder Valley

They will combine Hazmat for primers and powder. Some dealers won't.
Old April 20, 2007, 04:17 PM   #6
Castaway

Ain't nuthin' free. To balance out the hazmat charge, I get a buddy to combine an order. Buying in bulk or going to a dealer who also has the benefit of bulk buying can mitigate the charge. Also, look at buying bulk powder. You can get an 8 lb. jug for the same hazmat charge and additionally get a lower price per pound rate.
Old April 20, 2007, 04:17 PM   #7
K96771

See if there are any gun shows around your area. I go over to Philadelphia a few times a year just to stock up on the powder and primers, and pick up a little here and there when the gun shops have them in stock (which isn't a problem around here). Although I too like Midway, I never get my P & P from them due to the prohibitive shipping and hazmat fees.
Old April 20, 2007, 06:24 PM   #8
williamd

Our local club puts together group buys. Works pretty well.
Old April 20, 2007, 06:29 PM   #9
mrawesome22

Buy powder and primers at a store. Even if you have to drive 2 hours, it will be worth it to drive rather than pay the shipping fees. My local powder supplier has lower prices than internet prices, and the only fee I have to pay is sales tax.
Old April 20, 2007, 06:36 PM   #10
BigJimP

Try to buy everything from your local gun club - or a good retail outlet / gun shop. Places like Sportsman's Warehouse are reasonably competitve - but you also need to settle on your recipe and decide which components you really like the best before you lay in too much inventory.

Buying powder in 8lb kegs , primers in case lots, etc will save you a lot of money usually.
Old April 20, 2007, 07:08 PM   #11
CrustyFN

If you are going to buy powder and primers on the internet then Powder Valley is the best IMO.
Rusty
Old April 20, 2007, 07:26 PM   #12
Abstract

Quote:
Buy powder and primers at a store. Even if you have to drive 2 hours, it will be worth it to drive rather than pay the shipping fees. My local powder supplier has lower prices than internet prices, and the only fee I have to pay is sales tax.
Unfortunately, most of us aren't two hours away from your local powder supplier. I've never seen better prices within 6 hours of my house than I can get on the internet.

What does it cost for you to drive two hours? @ around $.45-$.50 per mile, sounds like false economy to me.

Last edited by Abstract; April 20, 2007 at 09:28 PM.
Old April 20, 2007, 09:03 PM   #13
snuffy

Quote:
What does it cost for you to drive two hours? @ around $.45-$50 per mile, sounds like false economy to me.
What are you driving that costs .50 cents a a mile?? My SUV runs for 12.8 cents a mile at current gas prices,($2.83/gal). BUT, 6 hours at an average of 50 miles/hr. = 300 miles. In my car, that's $38.40! Pay the 20$ hazmat!

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old April 20, 2007, 10:46 PM   #14
mrawesome22

Quote:
Unfortunately, most of us aren't two hours away from your local powder supplier. I've never seen better prices within 6 hours of my house than I can get on the internet.
Wow, I can get powder from 3 different places all within a 1 and 1/2 hours drive from where I live. And I live in the middle of nowhere LOL.
Old April 21, 2007, 12:01 AM   #15
dgc940

I'll second that MR22!
I live in a very small town and theres two places to buy powder?
Old April 21, 2007, 01:22 AM   #16
chilie

I have several places around me also but they don't stock much in anything bigger than a lib. so I usually do an order w/ Graf's they combine p & p up to 40 libs. and also have a decent C&R discount. I just devied out the cost of the powder a lib and primers a 1000 divided by the hazmat fee and I see if it's a good deal or not. the more you bye the cheaper that hazmat becomes.
Old April 21, 2007, 05:35 AM   #17
CrustyFN

chilie, does Graf's ship powder and primers together and only charge one hazmat fee? Most places won't do that. I know Graf's has free shipping also.
Rusty
Old April 21, 2007, 02:57 PM   #18
44 AMP
Staff

Hazmat fee

Is not a Govt. regulation. It is a charge levied by the shipper. Years ago, with the same Govt. regs in place, the shippers did not charge a Hazmat fee. Govt. Hazmat regs cover the packaging and the storage and disposal of Hazardous Material. All the shipper has to do is box it up (for your specific order) and put a couple of (correctly filled out) labels on the package. They also have to do a little bit of planning when it comes to loading the truck, to prevent certain clases of hazardous materials being within "x" number of feet of other classes of Hazmat. This used to be done as part of the shipping and handling fee. Then they discovered that they could get away with charging a seperate (and often gouging) fee because it was "Hazardous". We are stuck paying it, because really, where else are you going to go? I think UPS was the first shipper to add a Hazmat fee.

Smokless powder is DOT classified as a flammable solid, and is no more hazardous than thousands of other common materials. Primers are a class C explosive (like fireworks), and there are some regs governing what it can be shipped with, and spacing requirements involving flamable materials.

Best advice is to buy local (if practical), or order in really large amounts, so you only pay once for the Hazmat fee.
Old April 21, 2007, 08:06 PM   #19
CrustyFN

44 AMP,
Thanks, good explanation. I can buy powder local at a fairly good price. The local primers are high and I think I can do better on line even with hazmat. I am trying to get in with two other guys on a group buy for 60,000 primers.
Rusty
Old April 22, 2007, 08:03 AM   #20
chilie

crusty They do combine primers and powder.

"Q: What is your hazardous material fee?

A: A hazardous materials fee (haz mat fee) of $20 is charged to any ground order containing powder, primers, fuse or gun cleaning liquids over 1 quart. This fee is per package with a max gross weight of 70 lbs/package. Smokeless powder and primers can be combined (up to 50 lbs) under 1 haz mat fee. Black powder requires a separate fee and cannot be combined with any other hazardous materials. Hazardous Materials require an adult signature for delivery. ID may be required at delivery for proof of age. See Terms and Conditions for more details."
Old April 22, 2007, 05:38 PM   #21
CrustyFN

Thanks chilie. I will have to check Graf's out and see what kind of price I can get with the C&R discount. I also ran into someone at the IDPA match today that sells cast bullets local. I am thinking about trying some for the 9mm and cut cost down even more.
Rusty
Old April 23, 2007, 01:09 AM   #22
mattgreennra

Hazmat should not be $20 for primers and powder. Even a store with good prices can't beat online prices and 8lb powder kegs. I recomend buying online, but you are gonna have to spend over $300-400 to break the hazmat/store price difference. After that you save money.
Old April 24, 2007, 02:50 AM   #23
45auto45

Gun Shows are a good place for primers. Usually the lager ammo dealers sell them. They buy in such bulk they can sell cheaper. Usually, the Hazmat fee is good up to about 40 pounds an order, so bulk is the way to buy. I just bought primers, $18.95/K for WSPM, case of WSP for $16.95K and WLP $17.95K
Old April 24, 2007, 03:06 PM   #24
brickeyee

"Years ago, with the same Govt. regs in place, the shippers did not charge a Hazmat fee. "

Not really.
DOT added a bunch of rules governing how hazmat must be documented.
Every driver needs to have a record of all the hazmat on the vehicle.
Thus was born the 5 copy little hazmat form slapped on the package.
At each place the box is put on another conveyance, a driver has to peel off and keep one of those little labels.
That way if there is an accidnet he has an immediate record of anything on the truck that is hazmat.
Old April 25, 2007, 01:22 PM   #25
GLK

Although not seen nearly as often now days as in the past, buy primed brass when ever possible. I bought 10,000 pieces of primed 10MMAuto 10 years or so ago and it was at that time cheaper to buy the primed brass than the two separately and there was no hazmat fee.