The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 10, 2005, 08:17 PM   #1
GLK

Handloading the 38-40WCF advice or tips sought.

I recently acquired a Ruger Blackhawk Buckeye model convertible chambered in 10MM Auto(which I have loaded for 15 or so years) and 38-40WCF which I have never even fired that I recall. I have researched the round somewhat and it is an interesting cartridge in my opinion. I plan to start loading it and was interested in hearing from those that already do. Not looking for loads per se as I will work those up on my own.
I am more interested in and tips or advice that might save me from some startup problems. Die set preference? Type of brass? By the way, I will be loading 180 gr hard cast lead and 200 gr semi jacketed soft point projectiles for the first 1000 rounds. I already have these (500 each)projectiles and they were originally made for 38-40WCF. Of course I realize that I can use most any 40 caliber / 10MM projectile. Thanks in advance for any and all help.
Gary
P.S. Anyone loading this cartridge with blackpowder or black powder substitutes ?
Old March 11, 2007, 08:34 PM   #2
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

I don't think it's too soon to BUMP this one.

I ran a search, looking for some of this same information.

Does ANYONE have some input for us?

Johnny