The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old February 13, 2014, 09:25 PM   #1
bspillman

Price check please!

I'm thinking of getting a .38 snubbie and wanted to know what the going rate is for ammo these days. I've called a few places and could not find any in stock. Am I out of luck?
Old February 14, 2014, 08:02 AM   #2
LE-28

http://ammoseek.com/

Fill out the form of what you are looking for and it will find ammo in stock if there is any.
Old February 14, 2014, 08:07 AM   #3
Ryu825

Around me it's between $16 -$30 per 50rd box though idk who would ever buy 38 fmj for 30 damn dollars.
Old February 14, 2014, 10:35 AM   #4
g.willikers

Around here, commercial reloads with lead bullets are selling for slightly under $20.
That's the cheapest.
.38 special is probably one of the easiest calibers to reload for.
Have you considered that?
Old February 14, 2014, 11:31 AM   #5
Bozz10mm

Quote:
I'm thinking of getting a .38 snubbie and wanted to know what the going rate is for ammo these days. I've called a few places and could not find any in stock. Am I out of luck?

There is plenty 38 special available online. http://www.gunbot.net/ammo/pistol/38special/ Ranging from 30 cents a round on up.
Old February 14, 2014, 09:03 PM   #6
bedbugbilly

I shoot a lot of 38 spl. and for that reason reload - you might want to consider that. You can save your brass from ammo you buy - or buy range brass for around .07/casing and reload it many times. The last I paid for small pistol primers was around $34.00/1,000 so round that off to .04 per reloaded round for primer. Powder - I use Bullseye - well over 2,000 reloads per pound but go on the high side and say .02 per round for that. Bullet . . . well, you can buy 'em or cast 'em. I cast all of mine. You should be able to buy 'em for around .10/ea. So, thats .10 + .04 + .02 or .16 per round - much cheaper if you cast your own. I didn't figure the casing cost in as it can be reloaded many times. So, at .16/rd. that's $8.00 per box of 50 if you reloaded them.

I don't have much tied up in lead as most of it I have scrounged - so, I figure I have about .06 per round not considering the cost of the casing or lead. My time? Well, I'm retired and reloading is also a hobby. That's some pretty cheap shooting that over time will pay for the cost of a reload press, a set of Lee dies and other necessities.

I never thought I'd see the day when it was chapter to shoot my 38 splx. than it is to shoot .22s. I just thought you might be interested in seeing what reloading could save for you over time. It's not necessary to buy the most expensive equipment - .38 spl. is one of the easiest cartridges to load.

If you decide to go with a .38 and still buy your ammo - don't leave the casings where you shoot. Grab 'em up and either save 'em for when you might reload in the future - or give them to someone who does reload 38s - they'll appreciate having 'em

Good luck to you!.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63