The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 18, 2006, 08:37 PM   #1
rabid_rob

Help Restoring an old Walther

I bought a Walther PPK/S in my youth, and was advised by a cop to "get your Social Security Number engraved on it under the grip." So of course, I did.

Yeah, it seemed like a good idea at the time. <sigh>

I also managed to wear off a fair amount of finish on the lower frame/grip, probably due to improper care and handling. Now I'm older and a bit wiser. How can I "undo" the sins of the past?

Take a look...what are the options....fill in the engraving somehow, or have it ground down or what?

Next, I'd like to get the whole gun re-blued/refinished, so suggestions for a GOOD place to do the job are welcome.

(last four digits digitally blurred for highly ironic security reasons )

Old December 18, 2006, 08:45 PM   #2
Jim Watson

If your SSN doesn't show with the grips on, why worry about it?

I don't know a good refinishing shop, my guns have character.
Old December 18, 2006, 10:11 PM   #3
Bill DeShivs

The engraving can not be filled in. I would have to be ground off.
But why? The slight amount of rust can be cleaned up. Rebluing the gun will decrease it's value. Rebluing is not like painting your bedroom. Metal is removed in the process. Oil and brass wool will clean off the rust. The SSN doesn't show, so I would say leave it alone.
Bill
Old December 19, 2006, 12:38 AM   #4
Dfariswheel

Here's some top refinishers that can make your Walther look like factory new:

http://www.fordsguns.com/index1.htm
(Highly recommeded).

http://www.apwcogan.com/Greetings.htm
Old December 19, 2006, 12:52 AM   #5
seed

I completely disagree with those who say not to remove the SS#. To me, I don't even like having my SS# on my my SS card, which I have locked up in my safe. That little number gives too much power to anyone who gets a hold of it somehow, and you are the victim with little or no support from the very government who instituted the use of these numbers. I do everything in my power to protect my SS#.

Add to that the fact that your gun is directly linked to you in such a direct and invasive way. It's registration times 10. I don't like that.
Old December 19, 2006, 01:47 AM   #6
James K
Member In Memoriam

Even if you are paranoid, removing that number will be impossible without leaving a deep gouge that will probably show as a gap when the grip is put on. Filling it in could be done, but it would take a very skillful welder to do so without creating the same problem. My feeling is that unless I was planning to use the gun as a throwdown, I wouldn't worry about it. Plus, who knows, it might help you get the gun back if it is ever stolen.

Jim
Old December 19, 2006, 03:49 AM   #7
Hedley

I'm with Jim and the rest of the bunch. Leave it. Whoever did the engraving did a nice job, and if you can't see it without the grips on, who cares? I think people get a little too paranoid about their SS number.

Quote:
Add to that the fact that your gun is directly linked to you in such a direct and invasive way. It's registration times 10. I don't like that.
Since when is having a gun registered to you times ten a bad thing? If he was using it for unlawful activities, I could see your point, but I highly doubt that.
Old December 19, 2006, 05:53 AM   #8
seed

Taking out that SS# shouldn't do any severe damage to the frame (other than to the blueing). I'm too lazy to dig up the thread, but some guy polished out the warnings on the barrel of his Ruger GP-100 and it looked fantastic. The engraving on those things is much more severe than that in the pictures of this Walther.

As for being paranoid about your SS#, well suit yourself. I personally know someone whose own cousin stole her identity and it was and is nothing short of an absolute nightmare to fix all the damage that was done. It has been commonly described as being equivalent to a part-time job to repair all the damage done by a half-knowledgeable identity thief. All it takes is a SS#.

As for having a gun registered in your name...well, I don't like the government or anybody else knowing my business. That's just me, but I am a huge stickler (sp) for privacy. So okay, all my guns are registered to me upon purchase (unless I do FTF). I never liked that for a multitude of reasons...Katrina being just one example of why. I don't even feel like I actually own my guns, but am merely possessing them until the government says I no longer can. That bothers me and if I had my way, they would not even know I owned anything. Call me crazy, but I don't trust them. Putting a SS# on my gun is like putting my name on it, but even worse! Look, my guns are tools that are meant to be used responsibly. I do that. And so that is where the legality should end. Unfortunately, it doesn't. And so I have to protect myself from getting screwed over by numerous entities...the government, first and foremost. Putting or leaving my SS# on a gun is just a big step in the wrong direction towards achieving that goal if you ask me.
Old December 19, 2006, 02:29 PM   #9
James K
Member In Memoriam

Seed, I'll bet the government is tracking your posts right now, using NSA listening devices and black helicopters, and they are right outside with tanks and bombers just waiting to attack.

Seriously, the idea of privacy is fine, but realistically, we don't have much, and that is as much due to our own wishes as anything the government has done. I have several credit cards; to get them, I had to give information to banks, gas companies and stores. I have a car; when I bought it, I had to give information to the dealer and loan company. I had to give information to get this internet connection. And so forth. Unless I choose to live in a cave, hunt my own food, and have no contact with other people, I just can't have real privacy.

I realize the problems of identity theft and everyone should take reasonable precautions, but having his SSN in a hidden place on a gun the gentleman plans to keep is not likely to lead to identity theft.

Jim
Old December 19, 2006, 08:16 PM   #10
rabid_rob

Thanks for the the suggestions everyone.

I think I'll just leave the engraving for now. Realistically, I know I don't have much privacy, and as others have said, the number is hidden under the grip anyway. Besides, this PPK/S rarely leaves the safe, and has only seen a few hundred rounds of .380 auto. Cool pistol, crappy caliber.

I do want to get it refinished for sure, and will check out fordsguns.com. Will post some "after" photos.
Old December 20, 2006, 07:32 AM   #11
seed

That's cute Jim. Thank you. Yeah, I consider myself as being some sort of paranoid delusional mall-ninja type who dons camoulflage face paint and carries high caliber weaponry in more than one orfice in case I am surprise-abducted by JBT's in the dead of night. That's exactly what I meant .

The truth is that I don't trust the government and I think it is at the very least a healthy mistrust that all should have. But more than that, I do pay close attention to the goings on in this and other countries by the powers that be and I am only reinforced in my mistrust. Most information, by far is not reported in the mainstream media which is corporate owned and controlled by the elites...just like the government. Start by reading the sites of the various human rights organizations to get a taste of what is conveniently misreported or not reported at all in the mainstream press if you don't believe me. From there, you can find numerous other extremely reputable sources who back up all their information with solid checkable facts.

The example I gave about Katrina is one where gun confiscation from law-abiding citizens did occur and now they are not having much if any luck in getting back their property. Another example of inconvenience (when it comes to government knowledge of your guns) I remember reading about had to do with some politician (up in Washington state, IIRC) who got shot by a 9X18 and the feds went knocking on the doors of all registered Makarov and FEG owners in the area to test their guns for ballistics matching. And there is talk that knocks on the doors of Kalifornia owners of Stag lowers may occur without warning in the not-too-distant future. Etc. Etc. So call me paranoid if you like, but I don't trust the government. And it is my belief that at any point in the future, guns of one or more or all types will be banned by our government.

Oh, I almost forgot. Accepting the inevitability of intrusion of our privacy is one thing. Giving in easily is quite another. Remember that the government works almost entirely for the elites and the highest bidder. Information about you and me is protected less and less for the benefit of such entities as insurance companies and potential employers, of whom we are increasingly at the mercy, thanks to the vilification of popular control and glorification of so-called privatization. Some people (probably not you) find themselves in a spot where they cannot get a job because of some minor weed conviction way back when or because they declared bankruptcy back in '92. Others cannot get medical treatment because they are refused insurance thanks to a previous medical condition and or predisposition to one. And before you call me paranoid, understand that I know people to whom this has happened and or is happening. So NO...I don't trust the government with my information and do what I can to resist giving it to them or anybody else.

That SS# on the frame will probably do nothing of harm to the owner. But personally, I highly prefer it not being there. I can only imagine some sort of bizarre incident where it bites him in the a**. In the unfriendly to gun-owners environment of the present and especially the future, I believe that it would be wise to have it removed. And in case you didn't notice, I feel rather strongly about that.