The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 15, 2007, 07:39 PM   #1
Hoss4x4

20 Gauge-to scope or not to scope

Ok..........I have the rifle question answered, but how about using a 20 gauge for rabbit, if the answer is yes would you recommend a scope?

Flame disclaimer....I am a shooter but not a hunter, I am learning so I can take my son hunting........he and I both want to learn so thank you all for your patients.
Old October 15, 2007, 07:47 PM   #2
hunter33

I have only been hunting for the last 3 years but have been hunting with my father for the last 5 or 6 years.I have hunted many rabbits and say no scope seems like most the rabbits i shoot are running shots.
Old October 15, 2007, 08:22 PM   #3
lockedcj7

20 ga is perfect for rabbit. I use #6 shot heavy field loads and they work great.

I can't imagine why anyone would need a scope on a shotgun. Okay, maybe for deer-hunting with slugs but that's it. I prefer the K.I.S.S. principle. A scope is just something that will get in the way.

I've been hunting for 26 years and I've always shot a shotgun with both eyes open, no scope. Squirrels, rabbits, doves, ducks, quail, turkeys, geese and deer (with buckshot), doesn't matter. Your shots will all be under 35 yds and the rabbits might be running. Being able to lead them like a bird is required, and that means both eyes open and no scope.
Old October 15, 2007, 09:26 PM   #4
tyrajam

no scope! Scoped shotguns are only for deer ot turkey hunting. Have fun!
Old October 16, 2007, 11:06 AM   #5
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Another no-scoper weighing in.

I like these screw-in chokes, having started out when ugly hang-ons were the only way to change chokes aside from changing barrels.

Rabbits are generally gonna be fairly close, so a more open choke is reliable. No need for full choke. I'd say maybe a modified choke, but there shouldn't be any problem with the more open improved-cylinder. I-C kills doves and quail just fine at 30 to 40 yards...
Old October 16, 2007, 11:12 AM   #6
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

And now for ADVICE: Go to the Shotgun forum and start a thread, asking about the fit of the shotgun to the shooter, and about patterning one's shotgun.

Art
Old October 16, 2007, 12:38 PM   #7
FrontSight

no way, man, you want to keep the field of vision as wide as possible and be able to get on target as fast as possible...hence, a bead is all you want. just TRY try to hit a running target like a rabbit with a scope...at most i'd say get a holosight on it if you MUST have some kind of glass, but even that is way too much equipment. just my opinion...
Old October 16, 2007, 12:59 PM   #8
Pahoo

Scrap5000, Could not have put it better myself. On certain game, especially running or flying, you absolutely need the field of view. I might also add that I have always started my kids shooting with open sights. This developes their instinctive shooting skills. Rarely do I introduce the scope for kids starting out and that includes rifles on small game and muzzleloaders. My eyes have seen too many birthdays but I still hunt rabbits with my .20 and no scope. Normally you don't even see the bead but the instinctive shooting kicks in and I get them. The scope has it's place and time for all hunters and this is not it.
Old October 16, 2007, 01:29 PM   #9
Scorch

Scopes for shotguns?? Maybe for slugs, but not for shot. You're only shooting 30-45 yds, and at 45 yds your pattern is 3' across. No scope.
Old October 16, 2007, 02:33 PM   #10
Hoss4x4

Thank you all for the info!! I have my grandfathers 20 gauge bolt action I will try this Friday. You all have been a great help!!!