The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old May 29, 2012, 03:01 PM   #76
Gunplummer

tchunter

You finally figured it out. When you hunt something (You have to be able to hit it) the something will soon get respect for guns. In Pa. we have huge coyote killing contests every year. I don't know what the misconceptions are about on this thread, but you can absolutely believe that no healthy coyote will stick his nose out around an area where they are heavily hunted and trapped. You have more to worry about from uncontrolled dogs and cats getting at livestock around here.
Old May 29, 2012, 09:38 PM   #77
tchunter

I understand about controlling them by hunting them. When I started this thread my gut feeling was that that particular coyote wasn't quite right. Some of the info here has given me more to think about why it would have done that. As for hunting them enough to make a difference I have one major problem, 35,000 acres of corn and 100 hours a week. Winter is the only time I can spend a little time at it. I appreciate all the info posted here, its been a good conversation.
Old May 31, 2012, 05:25 AM   #78
KevK.

My grandfather would pee in an old coke bottle then go out and spread it along the fence to keep the coyotes out. Never once saw a coyote in the yard though we would see them sometimes peeing on the fence.

Side note:
Where I work is a 400 acre campus in the middle of the St. Louis suburbs. The area is considered a nature preserve. We have deer, turkeys, owls, redtail hawks, and coyotes.

The coyotes would sometimes go after family pets when the rabbit population went down.

The coyotes normally are very shy and we only see them from dusk to dawn. There was a particular one that was kicked out of the family group and spent days being un-coyote before he disappeared. During they day he'd lay down in the middle of the parking lots, or along the side walk. We'd have to have coyote watches set up. People started to try and feed it.

It was a bit strange watching an animal behave so out of character we considered having someone come in and put it down.