The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old January 23, 2013, 08:15 PM   #26
Bart B.

Orlando, how, in great detail, do you load your M1; both for single loading and loading a full clip?

If you touch the op rod in any way after the bolt locks into battery, that's guaranteed to make the chambered round shoot its bullet astray. How far depends on how the op rod's fit.

Note also that there may be nothing at all wrong with your rifle or how you load it. People are always part of the accuracy equasion; some a lot, others a little.

Last edited by Bart B.; January 23, 2013 at 08:23 PM.
Old January 24, 2013, 09:49 PM   #27
tank1949

I have an m1A that produced a similar pattern with 43 grains of H4895 and the main group is moa. If I add 2 grains the flyier goes away and group stays the same:MOA. So, I shoot 45 grains of H4895 with 150 SMK.
Old February 6, 2013, 01:12 PM   #28
tank1949

Update

Replaced Schmidt Bender scope on M1 with Night Force. Results is same only tighter for second group. I suspect that since SB is a very bold reticle and almost covers a 3" bull @ 200 yds and the NF is very fine one, is the reason for tighter second group. Still, first shot 7 oclock the next 7 3-4" away at 2 oclock and in less than MOA. At least I have ruled out scope.
Old February 23, 2013, 10:18 AM   #29
tank1949

My M1 floats. The only metal holding stock and receiver together is the trigger group. Another shooter suggested applying recommended ferrel pressure near forward handguard. This would mean a constant pressure pulling barrel downward. Perhaps not having postive downward pressure is why M1 is acting up???? I don't know anyone why has experminted on this?????
Old February 23, 2013, 10:34 AM   #30
Orlando

Grab the rear handguard and forearm behind the stock ferrule and squeeze them together. When you relaese them they should spring back . If there is movement you are good.
The rear handguard should also not make any contact with the stock when squeezed. If so snad off some wood from rear handguard where they contact
Also want to make sure there is no contact in the barrel channel right behind the ferrule with the barrel. I bevel both sides (at the top) slightly . I want atleast 1/8 inch clearance between the barrel and stock
Heres a pic of what I am talking about , not my pic found on the internet
Pic on left is what they look like after removing wood

I really dont think this has anything to do with the issues we are both having ,its more of a overall accuracy mod
I have done everything I can think of as far as stock work and still get the first rd flyer

Last edited by Orlando; February 23, 2013 at 10:41 AM.
Old February 24, 2013, 06:08 PM   #31
Bart B.

Tank1949, when the US Navy's Small Arms Match Conditioning Unit was building the most accurate Garands known to man, they used a 35 pound down pull on the lower band at the stock ferrule. That was accompished by epoxy bedding the barrel group with a 3/16" spacer between the barrel and stock ferrule band and the safety half pulled on. When the rifle was finished and the barrel group fit to the stock, that downward pressure was found to produce the best accuracy. Many of those Garands in 7.62 NATO tested well under 2 inches at 300 yards with a good lot of match ammo.

Before epoxy bedding was used to rebuild Garands, follks would take a matchbook cover, cut it into strips then put one or two under the receiver flats up front on both sides so the barrel group would point a bit higher from the top of the stock where the receiver was normally clamped to. That helped accuracy as it put a few pounds of down pull on the barrel group at the stock ferrule.

Also, grease the contact surfaces of the stock ferrule; it helps the barrel group go back to the same place after each shot.

Last edited by Bart B.; February 24, 2013 at 06:28 PM.
Old February 24, 2013, 08:14 PM   #32
tank1949

Bart and Orlando:

I have installed ferrel. I couldn't remember 3/16 so the match flate shoud add more, at least for testing. I was going to use tim foil. Go back to range this week. I will advise as far as outcome. If this works, I am getting a Boyd lamanated stock for the old girl. I have one on my M1A and love it. A bit heavy but it doesn't warp due to humitity.