The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old June 17, 2014, 12:28 PM   #1
kraigwy

Wyoming Draws out

Actually they were out on June 12th.

Didn't get my first two choices for elk, got a cow tag as a third choice in Area 38.

Both wife and I got our Area 7 Antelope (but we always have).

Cow elk in are 38 starts on Oct 1st, same as antelope, so I have to get the goat and beat feet to the Big Horns.

Not really a problem, last year we filled three tags and was home by 10:30 opening day. Same with the three years prior except for year before last, I didn't get my goat until about 1pm.

Didn't get my moose tag again, but that takes time from what I understand.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old June 17, 2014, 04:52 PM   #2
Unlicensed Dremel

Very good - where do you live?
Old June 17, 2014, 05:14 PM   #3
AllenJ

Sorry you did not get your first choices but at least you had a backup plan. I drew my usual cow tag in CO and my deer tag here in CA, now we just have to wait for hunting season to get here
Old June 17, 2014, 05:20 PM   #4
jimbob86

Quote:
Very good - where do you live?
Quote:
It could not have been a case of TL,DR.
Old June 17, 2014, 05:21 PM   #5
CarJunkieLS1

I'm glad you got your tags OP. But I'm glad we don't have to draw tags here in Alabama. You pay a hunting permit fee ~$25 and go hunting...that easy

You can shoot a whitetail doe a day for the season and 3 bucks a season. Rifle season in middle of November to January 30th
Old June 17, 2014, 06:49 PM   #6
kraigwy

I live in the NE part of Wyoming (Black Hills)

CarJunky, we do can hunt on gen tags is several places but its draws for the areas I like to hunt.

As for deer I go the general tag route and have no problems, I have a pasture full of them.
Old June 18, 2014, 05:06 AM   #7
hooligan1

I wish you luck sir.
Old June 18, 2014, 05:47 PM   #8
Wyoredman

Sorry I missed your training this week. I really want to get over there and have you teach me a few things.

Anyhow, I drew a zero! No antelope, no elk, no deer, no moose, no sheep, and no goat!

I guess the general season for deer and elk are in my future.

I sure wish my daughter would have drawn something, but she was a blank also.

Our mule deer are pretty much in steep decline around west/central Wyoming. The G&F has made the local general season only 6 days this year, three points or better. Hope it helps, as I haven't seen many around.

I see there are some leftover cow permits for the Atlantic City area, maybe I will buy one of those.

Congratulations to all the successful Wyoming hunters (those who drew tags)!

Kraig, I hope you get a 16" antelope and a nice juicy dry cow.
Old June 18, 2014, 06:33 PM   #9
Unlicensed Dremel

I saw Wyoming (the subject of the thread, no less) - that's what I was asking - what part / city. Ahhh, Black Hills. What's your closest town?
Old June 19, 2014, 08:34 AM   #10
kraigwy

Closet town is Newcastle, I'm 10 miles SE on the SD border.

Wyomingredman: We had a good time. I will have another Clinic and Match Aug 16th, hope you can make that one.
Old June 19, 2014, 08:55 AM   #11
green_MTman

maybe this is a dumb question but why would wyoming need to give out elk tags with a lottery like system.

it must have one of the healthest elk populations in the country and it is least populated states in the country.i think alaska,vermont and wyoming are the three least populated states,not sure on the order.

i could see a place like,colorado,nevada that are heavely hunted states,but wyoming i think only has 400K people
Old June 19, 2014, 09:27 AM   #12
Wyoredman

green_MTman, Wyoming does offer many areas that only require "over the counter" or general tags. The lottery, or Draw, is established for certain areas and types so the biologists can control the number of hunters and the harvest of certain populations. Take, for example, the area around my town. General season opens on October 1st. Anyone can buy a tag and hunt antlered elk from October 1st to October 15th. A drawing was also held for 100 cow elk tags in this area. Those lucky enough to get one of those tags get to hunt from October 15 to November 15. The chances of getting an elk on the special draw hunt are much greater because it is later in the year, 30 days long, and the weather usually starts moving the elk around. (plus you get to hunt for cows and calves)! Hope this answers your question.
Old June 19, 2014, 10:48 AM   #13
green_MTman

OK good,good answer.in vermont you get a buck and late season bear tag with standard license but you must pay extra for early season bear which is when berry bushes are plentyfull.

vermont lottery outs the antlerless deer and moose tags.i am awaiting august 17th to see if i get a moose tag.

the best kept secret in all of american hunting is Massachusetts.loads and loads of deer without loads of woods for them to hide.tons of bear,coyote,bobcat and the mass enviremental police are throwing tags at people and begging for hunters
Old June 19, 2014, 03:47 PM   #14
hartcreek

draws

Washintons draws are now posted. I didn't get drawn for any more special seasons but since I already was drawn for multiseason deer and elk I have nothing to complain about but the cost.......
Old June 20, 2014, 11:03 PM   #15
longranger

I have yet to draw a specific low tag allowance unit in WY for elk or deer.I'm OK with that.I filled all of my general tags with a bow the past 3 years. I love our opportunities here. I see more and better animals here than I ever did in MT.This past winter has definitely put the skids on fawn and calf populations,it goes in cycles and with all the water this year should be really fat and healthy animals.
Old July 5, 2014, 08:04 PM   #16
Unlicensed Dremel

I just got my first elk tag ever, cow only, rifle hunt, Dec 10-12, in the Witchita Mountains wildlife refuge near Lawton, OK. Can't wait. Got lucky in the draw (not as hard as bull tag, but still hard). Should I use the T/C Icon Classic in .30-'06 or the Wby Mark V Ultra Lightweight in .280? I'll probably go with the T/C Icon and some TBBC 180s in factory Federal red box, since the only .280 ammo I have at the moment is factory Hornady Superformance 139 SSTs, and I don't want to spend any money buying ammo. Although I may find time to handload & test some 154 SSTs by the fall. I wouldn't use 154 SSTs for a big bull, but for a cow from a .280, I think they'd be plenty. I also have a hundred 139 Interbonds - that'd be even better, come to think of it.

longranger, you seen the TV show "Longmire"? It's a fraud. Supposedly set in Buffalo, WY, but actually filmed entirely in NE New Mexico (Red River, Eagle Nest, Las Vegas). Where were you at in MT?

Last edited by Unlicensed Dremel; July 5, 2014 at 08:11 PM.
Old July 13, 2014, 10:36 PM   #17
Colorado Redneck

Congrats on your tags and draws!

I live in Colorado (of course) and am chasing points trying to accumulate enough to draw a pronghorny tag before I die of old age.

I envy you living in Wyoming. Newcastle is beautiful country, and it looks like you have had some good rains? That country can be as green as Ireland if you get precipitation. Good luck!
Old July 14, 2014, 05:04 PM   #18
Unlicensed Dremel

Just drive up to Casper during the pronghorn season. Most years they declare an excess (non-drawn) tags due to not enough applicants for the draw, in certain units in that part of the state; then they sell the excess doe tags over the counter, according to a guy I know - I think he said at Academy, for $35 for an out of state doe tag! Plus, what - $15 for your license? He bought six doe tags for $35 each, filled some XL ice chests with dry ice and meat, and drove back home.

Now if you want buck, maybe a different story.