The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old November 27, 2010, 03:27 AM   #1
Jim243

Bushmaster Carbon 15 questions

OK I know I will get flamed for this, but -

I just put one on lay-away today, it appears to be be one of the newer ones with both the ejection port covers and the foward assists.

I am aware of the previous problems with the PO Carbon 15s, but the price of this one just sucked me in on it ($599.00) has the Bushmaster warantee and a really nice trigger pull. I am on a budget and this will be a project gun for the winter. I actual have a good solid AR (Bushmaster Varminter) that does ..15 MOA at 100 as well as other 223s that are even more accuurate, and this is just something to tinker with, dress up and tear appart and rebuild.

This is such a light weight gun (4.5 lbs) that it actually felt great after lugging around 10 pound monsters. Things that will be replaced is the hand guard with a quad rail and the colapsibale stock with a magpul and the addition of front and rear sights. Have thought about a new upper as well as a better bolt (just don't know yet). Haven't taken it apart.

Here is the question - What other parts do you think would make it a better rifle short of replacing the lower and buying a different gun.

Jim
Old November 27, 2010, 03:38 AM   #2
Rifleman 173

How do you plan to use it? Sport competition shooting or for personal defense? I would, in general, suggest that you mount something like a low power scope on it for general tactical work. I'm a big fan of the Millett DMS-1 scope for most close range tactical shooting scenarios or use of a red dot. Either one or both, if you practice with them, will let you make silhouette shots out to about 300 meters or so.
Old November 27, 2010, 09:50 AM   #3
Jim243

Just as a general fun gun for the range or plinking. I have a couple of BSA multi dot open reflex red dots and a 3-9x40 compact BC for 223 that I could use, but I was thinking of getting a Vortex Strikefire red dot for it.

First thing to go will be the hand guard. Suggestion welcome.

Jim

Last edited by Jim243; November 27, 2010 at 10:57 AM.
Old November 27, 2010, 11:53 AM   #4
sonrider657

I think they get a bad rap. I used a stripped Carbon-15 Upper to build my ultralight AR and it runs great.

Old November 27, 2010, 12:38 PM   #5
Rifleman 173

Sonrider, that is a nice looking rifle. Almost sexy even. Good job on that rifle.
Old November 27, 2010, 01:01 PM   #6
MMcfpd

sonrider657, I notice the Bushmaster listing for that upper includes this:
Quote:
Uses modified Carbon 15 Barrel Extension Barrel Assemblies.
What does that mean for someone thinking about building an upper with one? Can you use a standard barrel, barrel nut and delta ring assembly?
Old November 27, 2010, 01:12 PM   #7
Jim243

Sonrider657 - that is one great looking AR, nice job.

OK looks like a picture thread, post them if you have one. I can get some great ideas from that too.

Jim

Here's my old one. Pretty much stock.

Old November 27, 2010, 03:06 PM   #8
sonrider657

Thanks all!

The stripped Carbon-15 Upper assembled exactly like a standard aluminum Upper (only no forward assist or ejection port cover). I used a regular Bushmaster Superlight Barrel (chrome lined 1-in-7" twist) and a standard barrel nut.

The only odd thing about it is that the barrel extension sticks out on the inside of the receiver (ie the inside of the plastic receiver is not flush with the receiver extension). This has not caused any problems, however, and I have never had a failure to feed.
Old March 24, 2013, 04:11 AM   #9
New2ARs

Carbon 15 problems

I just recently purchased the Bushmaster Carbon 15 AR and I must say so far I really like this rifle. I will be testing it out Monday at the range and am looking forward to it.

I know from looking at the threads it appears not to many people like these rifles and was just wondering with the rifles being produced today (carbon 15's) has anyone had any issues with them? From this thread it seems like the last report was back in 2011 or so.

I am adding the ATG quad rails, the MOPAR CTR stock, a Hogue grip and a different scope to it. With these rails it looks like the barrel will have plenty of air circulation around it not that I am going to go to the gravel pit and just blow through the rounds or anything but I think they will help keeping the barrel cool.

Please let me know if there are any recommendations on what to keep a watch out for since I am new to the AR platform.

Thanks and have a great day.
Old March 24, 2013, 06:02 PM   #10
Metal god

Zombie thread

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .

Last edited by Metal god; March 24, 2013 at 07:25 PM.