The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old March 13, 2013, 12:51 AM   #1
deadeyedeadyote

NYS Pistol Permit Application Process

Hey everybody I've been on here for a while now and everyone has been rather helpful; I was wondering who from New York State heard anything about their pistol permit applications since the new law was passed. I did my prints on 8/22/2012 (for Erie County) and I called the Tonawanda PD to see what the status was about a week ago and the cop said "everything's changed after the new law, we don't have any applications here" and seemed like he didn't want to deal with me so I didn't press on...his response wasn't clear and I was just wondering if I should forget about the $200 for all the required courses, photos, processing fees, fingerprints as well as all the trouble I went thru with the NRA class and getting the references, not to mention the two certificates of disposition. The lady who took my prints said it would take 8-18 months, and now its been close to 7. I also had an arrest to disclose with an affidavit from the NYPD, which looks shady on my part, but the circumstances regarding the arrest were even more shady on their part which is why the case went away. I also got treatment in high school from a rehab facility (I was a mischievous one), that is listed under the NYS Mental Hygiene Dept, but I went in under my own free will. I couldn't join the military for the mental health stuff, but I was still allowed to buy a shotgun and rifle without any problems.

Since my situation is detailed above, I was wondering if I should just forget about this whole thing, like as if I never submitted the application, and just be positively surprised if I ever manage to just hear back from Erie County/Tonawanda PD/Albany? From the cop's response on the phone, it sounds like I'd be lucky just to get a verdict let alone be authorized to hold a restricted permit. I was wondering if there were others out there going thru this ordeal, what county you're applying through and how it's working out for you. Any assistance/horror stories would be deeply appreciated; I have no idea where I stand and the future of my permit application seems to be on pause as my application is probably laying with a pile of others somewhere in Albany collecting dust and cobwebs. Thanks and good luck fellow applicants!
Old March 13, 2013, 02:59 PM   #2
Ruthless4christ

last week ina a town hall meeting, the onondaga county sheriff said that applications in onondaga are 14 months behind. got to remember they are also dealing with processing all the opt out applications. sorry man.
Old March 13, 2013, 06:42 PM   #3
SilverBulletZ06

Law states they have 6 months. File suit.
Old March 13, 2013, 06:48 PM   #4
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I recommend that you send a Private Message to Maxb49, who works with Jim Tresmond, who is one of the attorneys heading the legal challenges against the SAFE Act.

The 6-month limit is "without good cause" or some such wording, so you don't really have a leg to stand on there.
Old March 14, 2013, 07:14 AM   #5
rob-c

um i hate to say it, but i have read on other forums that some guys in ny that have had less red ink from their past have NOT gotten their permit.sorry but hay keep your fingers crossed...
Old March 14, 2013, 07:44 AM   #6
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

"NY" is an awfully big place to make such general statements. Some counties hand out permits like a clown with candy, others hardly ever at all (mostly NYC and surrounding). Tonawanda is likely on neither extreme.
Old March 14, 2013, 08:17 AM   #7
deadeyedeadyote

believe it or not, I've heard stories about my friend's co-workers at the accounting firm he works at and I think 2 of them have restricted pistol permits in NYC and they said it took like 3-5 months. the application is like 15 pages long, requires a doctor's note, fingerprints, and with fees it comes to $400+ but yeah it's all about the money in the city. I hear Erie County isn't terrible in terms of issuing permits, just that the process is excruciatingly slow. the city of Buffalo is much harder to get a permit but they're more gun-friendly here in Tonawanda, just 2 blocks north of the border. I know a kid who got his restricted permit like 8 months ago and it took him 8 months to be contacted, but he also is wealthy, works at a law firm, and has friends in the local political system around here so I'm sure that helped him somewhat. He said Buffalo PD were the ones that called him to do the interview (he lives in Tonawanda too) and that it was brief and simple, almost like filling out the paperwork to buy a rifle or shotgun. I'm sure the names of his references helped too.

I also forgot to mention that 3 of my 4 references are military; 2 are active right now, and the other was honorably discharged over a year ago and they are all Army. My 4th reference knew me from high school and can verify that I'm sane but he's kind of irresponsible and I don't know if he ever filled out the packet and submitted it on my behalf. I can drive an hour and a half from here and get a permit like I'm being issued a college ID. It's nuts
Old March 14, 2013, 01:04 PM   #8
deadeyedeadyote

New development

Not two hours after I made my post this morning, I received a call from the Tonawanda PD saying they received my application but they won't move on to investigate me because my references are all in the city of Buffalo. The detective kindly told me to write the chief a letter requesting an exemption, so I did, and hopefully by next week I'll know whether or not I have to find 4 new references. I don't know anybody here and I described my situation clearly, and wrote a very nice letter so hopefully the Chief grants me the exemption. At least my paperwork is in the hands of my local PD and it made it through the long phase in Albany's mental hygiene department!!!
Old March 14, 2013, 09:00 PM   #9
Nick S.

I filed for mine the Nov. when Obama won the 1st election & it took 6 months. I live on Long Island and the office was mobbed with new applications even then. Some times I feel like I'm deep behind enemy lines. But our ranges are always filled with waiting lists to get on the firing line. That goes for rifles, pistols, and shotgun sites.

Tags
application , law , nys , permit , pistol