The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 29, 2001, 08:25 PM   #1
buzz11648

win. m1200 field barrel cut down

Hello all,

I recently purchased an old win. m1200 12g. 2.75 ch. field shotgun. I was considering cutting down the barrel myself to 20". It currently measures 29.5". If i did cut down the barrel would there be a risk of the barrel cracking or exploding? I'm not familiar with the legality of this and want to keep it legal. Also, i cannot find any production info. on this model other than intro. in 1964. Any experiences with 8 shot mag ext. would also be helpful. Want to make a home defense gun and 100.00 didn't seem bad for a base gun.

Thanks all and happy blasting!
Old December 29, 2001, 10:00 PM   #2
maxwayne

A great gun, I have had mine since 63. The feds say the barrel has to be 18 inches, so cut it a little long to be safe. There should be no safety problems with a shorter barrel. Use a file to smooth out the rough edges after you cut it.
Old December 30, 2001, 07:35 AM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

I've cut down several bbls, and oft regretted same, but you've little to lose here.IME the 1200 needs to be kept clean, and grunge will turn it inoperative in short order. Clean, it's a good, reliable shotgun.

Measure from the breech face to the muzzle, the new length HAS to be over 18" or you're in deep trouble with the Feds.

Also, while more shells isn't a bad idea, an absolutely stock short shotgun is a defensive tool of amazing capability.Start off with light loads and work up...
Old January 1, 2002, 02:49 PM   #4
buzz11648

model 1200 barrel

Thanks guys, i like the pattern of the stock 30" full choke barrel so i think i"ll leave it alone.
Old January 2, 2002, 02:50 PM   #5
plateshooter

You may find that the gun shoots high with the cut off barrel if you put the bead directly into the new end. My smith solders or tigs a block on the barrel and threads a hole for the bead into that. You can then adjust your point of impact by filing down the block and reinstalling the bead until your pattern is centered or where you want it to be. If you cut off the barrel, take the shortened gun and site down the barrel. Then without moving, have someone hold the piece you cut off on the end and you will see what I mean.