The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 12, 2012, 03:32 AM   #1
458winshooter

New cylinder

I bought a Uberti 44-40 recently and I had seen some on GB that had a 44spl cylinder that came with them.I got a very good deal on this gun but no extra cylinder.A local gunsmith is now machining one for me at a cost of $300.My question is was this too much to pay?It is a custom fit to this gun and will allow me to use either 44spl or 44-40 by simply changing out the cylinder.By the way the barrel slugged at .429 so the issue of bullet diameter is mute.Thanks Russ
Old May 12, 2012, 10:05 AM   #2
Hawg

Way too much. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/181...man-44-special
Old May 12, 2012, 11:10 AM   #3
TrailBlazinMan

Whatever new cylinder you choose to get would need to be timed to your gun. If this is included in his price then it looks like you are on par with the internet order.
Old May 12, 2012, 11:46 AM   #4
Hawg

Quote:
Whatever new cylinder you choose to get would need to be timed to your gun.
Not so. This isn't the old days of hand fitting. You can swap cylinders out of just about any revolvers these days as long as they're the same brand and model.
Old May 12, 2012, 10:41 PM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

$300 is very reasonable for making a revolver cylinder in a small shop. But if you have "seen some on GB that had a 44spl cylinder that came with them", wouldn't it have been easier and a lot cheaper to buy one from Uberti's importer or Gun Parts for less than half that?

As for fitting a cylinder, the timing is not usually the problem, headspace and barrel-cylinder gap are. Fitting a SA cylinder is easier than fitting one for a swingout type gun where the crane fitting and ejector have to be taken into account, but even an SA cylinder can be a bit tricky to fit.

Of course, I have no idea what a gunsmith made cylinder would look like; it could be a perfect fit. Or a less than perfect fit.

Jim
Old May 13, 2012, 08:23 PM   #6
458winshooter

44 cylinder

Not as expensive this way the prices on GB would run another $200 or more than doing it this way.
I am not sure that cylinder will fit.This is for a 1875 Reminton Outlaw Replica that is for a Cattleman which is a Colt SAA Replica.

Last edited by 458winshooter; May 13, 2012 at 08:29 PM. Reason: Addition