The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 8, 2011, 04:10 PM   #1
daddywpb

New dove gun...

I picked this up at our local Gander Mountain store a couple weeks ago. It's a 1940 vintage L.C. Smith. 12 gauge, featherweight field grade with 28" barrels choked, as far as I can tel, IC/M. It's in amazingly good condition, and all original. Case colors are bright, metal almost 100%, wood has original finish, checkering still nice and clean, bores bright and shiny. Traded in by an older gentleman and his wife, and handed down to them from the family. I'm probably the third owner. Made by Hunter Arms, Fulton, N.Y. It doesn't look like it's seen much field use. It doesn't have the bumps and bruises that a hunting shot gun gets over the years, but we're going dove hunting in a couple weeks. She's a grand old girl!

[IMG][/IMG]

By daddywpb at 2011-08-30

Old September 8, 2011, 05:01 PM   #2
AllenJ

Very nice looking shotgun. Do you mind telling the amount paid? For some reason all the sudden I'm thinking of getting a 20 gauge SxS and am starting to price them.
Old September 8, 2011, 06:38 PM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Covet,covet....

Very nice shotgun. Elsies are special.
Old September 8, 2011, 06:50 PM   #4
oneounceload

Quote:
For some reason all the sudden I'm thinking of getting a 20 gauge SxS and am starting to price them.
You might want to check out GunsInternational.com - NOT an auction site; guns are priced for what they are worth and sold by reputable companies - you can browse by maker or gauge or gun type or anything else
Old September 8, 2011, 09:46 PM   #5
daddywpb

She was $1200, and from what I've seen lately on the auction and broker sites, I got a good price for one in this condition. I have seen them sell for more in much worse shape, especially the case colors on the sideplates. I've been looking for an L.C. Smith in excellent condition for 30+ years. I've come close to buying a bunch of them over the years, but this one was a no brainer. As soon as I handled it, it was sold. The Featherweight frames are much lighter.

Last edited by daddywpb; September 9, 2011 at 05:52 PM.
Old September 9, 2011, 05:49 PM   #6
daddywpb

AllenJ,

If you're looking for a modestly priced SxS, take a look at the Stoeger Uplander. I have four Stoegers, 12 gauge 26" Uplander, 20 gauge 26" Uplander, 12 gauge 30" Longfowler and a 12 gauge Coach Gun (fun!). They are rock solid, nice handling doubles and a great value if you're looking for a SxS to hunt with. Once you hunt with one, you won't look back!
Old September 9, 2011, 06:59 PM   #7
Lee Lapin

Gorgeous.

Glad Elsie found a good home!

lpl

Attitude and skill will get you through times of no gear, better than gear will get you through times of no attitude and no skill.