The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 19, 2008, 02:28 PM   #1
vranasaurus

45 ACP Crimp

Would it be a good idea to get a factory crimp die?

Is it necessary?

Are there any benefits?
Old November 19, 2008, 02:47 PM   #2
D. Manley

They're OK, but any taper crimp die should work just as well. I used them for a while on Lee equipment with no issues loading jacketed and plated rounds but others using lead have found they *can* resize the loaded bullets creating problems. The FCD has a carbide "post-sizing" insert as well as the crimp function and therefore, some people use them to correct other issues in reloading. While this frequently works, IMHO, this is merely masking the original problem.
Old November 19, 2008, 03:55 PM   #3
cgaengineer

You dont really need it...just a small taper crimp is fine. From what I understand the crimp dies are hard on your cases.
Old November 19, 2008, 04:23 PM   #4
vranasaurus

From my understanding the lee bullet seating die has a taper crimp built in. So this should be sufficient?

I would assume the same goes for 9mm so instead of buying a 4 die set I'll stick with the 3 die set.
Old November 19, 2008, 04:45 PM   #5
F. Guffey

vranasaurus, A set of ACP dies come with two crimp dies, either the taper or roll crimp die and the sizer die.

Size a case or 10, bell and seat a bullet without powder or primer, use the sizer die to crimp the bullet with the sizer, do not 'full length crimp ', then measure, and cycle through your pistol, you could get carried away and put enough cases together to load your clip and cycle them through the pistol, if the cases fly through your pistol like they do my 45 ACP, you have another option when it comes to crimping for ACP type rounds.

F. Guffey
Old November 19, 2008, 04:57 PM   #6
vranasaurus

I have a 3 die set. Sizer, flare, and bullet seater. I have no crimp die.

I can't put a complete round in the sizer die unless I take the decapper out. Which is difficult with a progressive press.
Old November 19, 2008, 05:22 PM   #7
vranasaurus

I read on Lees website that their seater die does in fact have a taper crimp built in.

I measured some of the rounds I made recently and they are .471 at the top of the case which is the same as the speer factory ammo I have.

So whatever I am doing the seater die is taking all of the flare out the cases. I am not going to worry about the crimp.
Old November 19, 2008, 05:35 PM   #8
LHB1

I have not used Lee dies but RCBS, Hornady, Redding, etc. dies typically have taper crimp built into the .45 ACP seater die. My RCBS three die set works fine on .45 ACP with no need for a separate crimper die. Some people prefer to seat and crimp in separate dies/steps but I have not found it necessary.
Old November 20, 2008, 09:25 AM   #9
WESHOOT2

1) It can be a good idea.

2) It is not necessary.

3) I have personally found significant benefit, and most highly recommend seating only with the supplied die (positioning it to remove any potential crimping effect) and finishing with a prpoerly adjusted LEE Carbide Factory Crimp die.
Old November 21, 2008, 11:58 AM   #10
MADISON

.45 ACP Crimping

Back in the 70's, when I began reloading, I needed a Taper Crimp die for my 45 ACP. The shop sales person brought me an RCBS sizing die, without the decapping stim. I adjusted it on the press and it WORKED PERFECT!
Old November 21, 2008, 12:35 PM   #11
CortJestir

Well, here's a perspective from someone brand new to reloading. I've found that, if anything, the factory crimp die adds more peace of mind to a new reloader.

I have the 3-die set from Lee and their FCD for .45ACP. I know you can taper crimp and seat with the bullet seater die, but I was never able to get it right - adjust bullet depth and crimp was out of whack and vice versa. Yes, I've read all the recommendations on how to adjust this die, but I had the FCD on hand anyway when I bought all my gear, so I use it on my single stage press. Sure it adds another step to the process, but as a green reloader it takes me forever and a day to load even a test batch anyway! So what will an extra step matter? And when I do upgrade to a 4-die Turret, I figure the extra step won't matter speedwise, plus I get finer and better control of the crimp and factory sizing to boot.

To sum it up though, no, you don't need the crimp die. It's helpful to have but not a necessity, in my view.