The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 24, 2007, 01:49 AM   #1
Sriracha

Most economical HD 12 gauge pump shotgun with a wood stock?

Hi everyone,
I'm looking to get a defensive 12 gauge pump shotgun with 18.5" barrel and 6 to 8 round capacity, such as the Maverick 88, Mossberg 500 or Remington 870. Any of those basic models will do. However, for purely aesthetic reasons, I want one with a wood stock and forend. What is the least expensive way to achieve this (assuming I can't find a used one in local shops and shows)?

Should I try to get exactly what I want, new from the factory? Should I get a plastic stock Maverick 88 and buy the wood parts? Or, should I get the cheapest wood-stocked 870 at Walmart and replace the barrel and add a mag extension? Or is it so easy to find a used specimen that this is all a moot question?

Thanks for your advice,
Sr.
Old December 24, 2007, 04:49 AM   #2
dewidmt

I myself would just buy an 870 Express and put the 18.5" slug barrel on it. That's what I did with mine, but I prefer the synthetic stock. You really don't need the mag extension for home defense use.....
Old December 24, 2007, 08:29 AM   #3
fisherman66

The wood on the 870 Express is Beech. It just barely qualifies as wood in my book. Sometimes walnut stocks from the Wingmasters hit ebay. I've considered buying one, but as rough as I handle my shotgun it really doesn't make sense. I'm sure you could find an 870 Express used.
Old December 24, 2007, 07:23 PM   #4
ncdmz

Wood Stock

I'm converting my 870 Magnum to a Knoxx folding stock & Hogue fore-end. Do you want the the wooden fore-end and stock when I'm through?
Old December 24, 2007, 09:28 PM   #5
38splfan

Used.

You should be able to find a good used pump that meets your needs very easily, although you may get standard capacity and have to add the mag extension later.
I like to use mine as an example. I picked up a decent-but-not-pretty Ithaca 37 for $100 at a pawn shop. Mr. Dremel made the barrel 20", TruGlo sold a fiber optic bead that I installed with minimal hassle (had to tap a new hole for it, not a big deal). Already had a nice wood stock.

Total outlay still less than $150.

Easy to pick up used shotties, especially the Mossberg 500/Maverick 88, for not a lot of dough.

IF you pick up one you like but it has the synthetic stock, check here for wood replacements for not too much $$.
www.gunpartscorp.com