The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 30, 2013, 12:28 PM   #1
wagdog

870 Wingmaster Magnum question

I have an older (have not checked the serial number to get a date of manufacture) Remington 870 Wingmaster Magnum. It says Magnum on the receiver. However, the barrel says 2 3/4 or shorter shells only. I bought it off a friend who was in a bind a while back and haven't really shot it too much. I pulled it out the other day to clean it when I noticed that the barrel said 2 3/4 or shorter. Now I realize this may not be the original barrel but I've also read that older Wingmasters said 2 3/4 only. Is that the case for an older Wingmaster Magnum too?
Old April 30, 2013, 02:28 PM   #2
Pahoo

Could it be ??

Can only relate to you, my experience. I had an 1100 Magnum and it came with a 3" plain barrel, that was original. Later, I bought two extra barrels in 2-3/4" that fit and functioned just fine. This might be the case with yours and you will have to run it down. Again, mine also said Magnum and took 3" shells ..

Be Safe !!!
Old April 30, 2013, 03:02 PM   #3
wagdog

Is there a way to verify that the receiver is fine with 3" shells? I don't mind replacing the barrel. I was thinking of making this a duck gun and wanted to be able to shoot 3 inch shells.
Old April 30, 2013, 05:19 PM   #4
Dfariswheel

If the receiver is stamped "Magnum" AND/OR the serial number ends with an "M", you have a 3" Magnum receiver which can shoot any shells 3" or shorter.

If you have a barrel marked 2 3/4" you can shoot ONLY 2 3/4" or shorter shells.
DO NOT attempt to fire a 3" shell in a 2 3/4" barrel.
Old April 30, 2013, 05:25 PM   #5
Virginian

If the receiver says Magnum and the serial number ends in 'M', it is a Magnum and it good for anything 3" or shorter. BUT, as Dfariswheel said, if it has a 2-3/4" barrel on it, you should not shoot anything longer than 2-3/4" shells in it with that barrel. The barrels are completely interchangeable, but the standard receivers were supposed to have a 2-3/4" ejector and ejector spring set up. Other than the ejector and spring, and the rollmarking, the receivers are identical.
Old April 30, 2013, 06:35 PM   #6
jmr40

And I'd bet the barrel did not come on that receiver. You can date the barrel by using this code.

http://remingtonsociety.com/rsa/questions/barrelcodes

If the barrel is original it will match the date from the SN. You'll have to call Remington with the SN to get the date of manufacture for the receiver.
Old April 30, 2013, 08:09 PM   #7
Virginian

A 2-3/4" barrel did not come on a Magnum receiver.
Old April 30, 2013, 09:59 PM   #8
wagdog

Thanks for the info y'all. I will be checking the serial numbers and barrel...when it comes back from the gunsmith. I went to go check out the serial numbers and couldn't find the shotgun. Turns out my wife took it to a gunsmith to get it re-blued (it was down to the white on the mag tube) and have any parts replaced that are worn. I'll update y'all once I get it back. Heck I'll include a few pics to boot.