The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 31, 2012, 01:59 PM   #26
Jim Watson

Quote:
I guess when the website said "Ruger only" loads, it means any Ruger,
NO!

A little history. The original Ruger Blackhawk .357 was on a frame very close to a Colt SAA somewhat beefed up. The Blackhawk .44 and then Super Blackhawk were bigger. Elmer Keith tells the tale.

The .45 Blackhawks were on the .44 frame and cylinder size.
It got to be commonly done to overload .45 Colt Blackhawks to the point that the manuals started showing Ruger Only loads.

When the New Model Blackhawks (and Super BH) came out, they just put them all on the .44 frame, which makes for a very stout .357 and still very strong .45s and the Ruger Only loads continued.

When the (first, old, original, just plain...) Vaquero came out, it was also on the .44 frame and the .45s continued to be routinely overloaded with the Ruger Only stuff.

But then the Cowboys and 1950s traditionalists were noticed by Ruger and they brought out the New Vaquero and a series of new make flattop Blackhawks in the old size close to a real Colt. The .45s in those models are NOT recommended for the Ruger Only overloads devised for the heavier and stronger .44 frame guns.

So the Internet Ballistics Experts are now quick to post that you should not put Ruger Only loads in a New Vaquero or the new flattop Blackhawk .45.
They are so passonate about it, you would think that Ruger is making wrought iron black powder 1873s. But the fact is that the New Vaquero will handle any SAAMI spec .45 Colt load and a bit more. Buffalo Bore sells a SAAMI compliant .45 Colt with 255 gr bullet at 1000 fps 5.5". Brian Pearce at Handloader Magazine delights in big loads that a Colt, USFA, or NV will handle. Even Lyman will get you to more than 900 fps at less than 14,000 CUPs.
Old July 31, 2012, 04:13 PM   #27
rclark

Quote:
But the fact is that the New Vaquero will handle any SAAMI spec .45 Colt load and a bit more.
Yep, Brian Pearce calls them Tier 2 loads around 20,000psi. Since my flattop convertibles handle .45ACP you could even say 23,000psi.... Plenty of 'play' room over SAMMI .45 Colt. Green Dot is a good powder and and far as I can tell has no bad pressure characteristics.... Much like Unique or Universal. To me though if you want powder puff play loads, Trail Boss is the powder to use.

Quote:
They are so passonate about it, you would think that Ruger is making wrought iron black powder 1873s.
Well, the thing is (as you know) Ruger Only Loads (Tier 3) is in the 30,000psi range which should NOT be used in the medium frame revolvers (New Vaqueros or flattop BHs).
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.

Last edited by rclark; July 31, 2012 at 04:51 PM.
Old July 31, 2012, 07:59 PM   #28
Jim Watson

Tier 2, tier 3, Ruger only, +P, +P+, it is all balderdash.
There is no industry standard for overloaded .45 Colt. It is whatever the vendor like Buffalo Bore or an author like Pierce thinks the guns will stand.
You are on your own whether they will or not.
Old July 31, 2012, 11:51 PM   #29
DaleA

Thank you Jim Watson for the 'little history' post.

While a lot of folk will say this is 'common knowledge' (and of course I knew about it too...) yours is the shortest, clearest, most understandable and most complete explaination I've seen.
Old August 27, 2012, 09:57 AM   #30
JKilbreth

I fired the loads yesterday and all types worked out.

I liked the 7.0 grains of Green Dot just fine, and had no problems hitting the target each time when shooting with two hands on my Vaqueros, but I found that the 6.25 grains loads were a lot easier to control (obviously) when firing both pistols one-handed.

The light loads came out of a 20" Rossi 92 barrel without a hitch, so I guess my buddy's suggestion was on the money!

Thanks for all the help, guys.