The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old June 15, 2011, 09:10 PM   #1
headlesscashew

looking for accuracy in a 5.56/.223

A few days ago I posted about getting an upper for my ar, I've found a couple options but they are about $600. I want a "tactical" looking rifle that is a tack driver, I know to do this properly I'm gonna have to get a different trigger also, another $200. Just wondering if anyone has an opinion on a bolt gun in this price range that has a tactical look and feel and will fill this want for a tack driving hole punch.
Old June 16, 2011, 09:17 AM   #2
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

A not-very-good trigger makes tight groups more difficult, but it does not keep one from shooting tight groups. It merely takes more concentration and control.

I have a CMMG flat-top upper with a 20" lightweight barrel on a Colt lower with a reasonably decent trigger. Sub-MOA with a 4X scope. The complete upper was around $600. (Shrug) Tactical isn't of any importance to me, since it ain't looks what kills coyotes and jackrabbits.
Old June 16, 2011, 09:29 AM   #3
Loader9

For the $800.00 you can buy most any brand bolt rifle that will be a near tack driver in 223. The cartridge is probably the easiest out there to get to shoot in a hole. Find one you like and get after it. I bought a cheap Remington synthetic varminter new that I didn't pay over $300.00 from Cabelas and it shoots near one hole groups at 100 yds with factory trigger. The 223 cartridge is just a good one to load for and fall into accuracy.
Old June 16, 2011, 10:45 AM   #4
wnycollector

If you want a tactical bolt in .223, pick up a Howa 1500 heavy barrel varminter from cdnn for ~$400 and then put a B&C medalist tactial stock on it for ~$200.

If you atill want a tack driving tactial type AR, check of the RRA ATH uppers. Mine shoots 3/4" groups @100yards with Black Hills 68gr MHP's
Old June 16, 2011, 09:46 PM   #5
Marquezj16

If you want a tactical .223 bolt gun, then I suggest a Weatherby Vanguard Sub MOA if you can find one. A cheaper alternative is a Rem 700 SPS Tactical. Both guns are capable of sub moa groups.
Old June 16, 2011, 10:27 PM   #6
Jim243

For that type of accuracy you want a bull barrel on your gun, it won't be a lightweight though. And you can stay in your price range.

Jim

Old July 1, 2011, 10:49 AM   #7
GunCrzy

need a little help

Just bought a Bushmaster M4A3 and I am looking to put an optic on it. I am a relatively new shooter and only shoot for sport at this point. (Though I put in a lot of range time with my pistols to work on getting to a competitive level.) I enjoy quick target location but also do alot of desert shooting so it would be nice to have some accuracy at a distance too. I don't want to break the bank and do not know where to begin or what any of the specs mean?? Thanks for any help or suggestions.
Old July 1, 2011, 11:04 AM   #8
wnycollector

Quote:
I enjoy quick target location but also do alot of desert shooting so it would be nice to have some accuracy at a distance too. I don't want to break the bank
I have a Nitrex by Weaver 1.5-5x32 scope on one of my four AR's. With it dialed down to 1.5 I can shoot with both eyes open and then set it for 5x to make 300 yard shots. Natchez has them on closeout for $130. Here is the link http://www.natchezss.com/Category.cf...Plex%20Reticle

You will also need a mount for the scope. Since you are on a budget Primary Arms makes a decent one piece mount for $25. Here is the link http://primaryarms.com/product.sc;js...categoryId=220
Old July 1, 2011, 12:10 PM   #9
Water-Man

------------------------
Old July 1, 2011, 12:47 PM   #10
precision_shooter

Quote:
Just bought a Bushmaster M4A3 and I am looking to put an optic on it. I am a relatively new shooter and only shoot for sport at this point. (Though I put in a lot of range time with my pistols to work on getting to a competitive level.) I enjoy quick target location but also do alot of desert shooting so it would be nice to have some accuracy at a distance too. I don't want to break the bank and do not know where to begin or what any of the specs mean?? Thanks for any help or suggestions.
I would suggest a red dot with a swing mounted magnifier. Will give you fast and easy target acquisition up close, and some magnification for longer shots when you need it. Take a look at the Vortex red-dots and magnifiers. Great bang for your buck!
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776
Old July 4, 2011, 03:10 PM   #11
Dana C

I went in a little different direction. I have an AR with a 18" Douglas SS Premium Match barrel and a Timmny trigger. I went with big glass and put a 6-20x40 Weaver Grand Slam on it. If I do my part it will do a clover leaf at 100 yards and MOA at 200 with fairly cheap ammo. Just because it is an AR, doesn't mean you can't mount a full size scope on it. If you are shooting vamints, including ground squirrles at fairly long distances, full size glass is helpful. I have to admit that if your sight is sort of poor like mine, it REALLY helps...LOL

Tags
accuracy , ar-15 , bolt action , tactical