The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old May 6, 2007, 07:41 PM   #1
astra9m

9mm lower?

I am looking to get a 9mm lower sbr that I can put my gemtec tallon upper on. Can I just convert a 223 lower if so what do I need and how do I do it.

Astra A-70
Astra A-100
Sig 245
Glock 31
Glock 17
Glock 27
Cobra C9
Beretta 21
Norinco Sks
Mossberg security
Im addicted
Old May 6, 2007, 09:57 PM   #2
douglasschuckert

.223 to 9mm conversion...

Contact Rock River Arms or better yet, Bushmaster. They both sell actual 9mm lowers, and *should* have a resource or product to convert existing lowers to 9mm and/or .45.

I haven't tried it, but you may be able to find something in Shotgun News. (magazine rack of Wal-Mart). If its in the FireArms community, it'll be advertised in Shotgun News, or Small Arms Review (published by Dan Shea of Stone Mountain - He's one of the big-wigs of the NFA community).
Old May 7, 2007, 06:31 AM   #3
shaggy

Thats "Long Mountain Outfitters" not Stone Mountain.
http://www.longmountain.com/

As for the lower, the best solution I've seen and used is the 9mm mag well blocks by VM-Hytec. Since you're making it a SBR, you should try to keep the ability to convert back to 5.56 so you can use it in either caliber rather than making it a dedicated one caliber lower with a permanent mag well block. Use any standard AR15 lower and place the mag block in when you want to convert to 9mm. Then swap a 9mm for the 5.56 upper and go. The VM blocks hold very securely and make use of standard, unmodified Uzi mags.
Old May 7, 2007, 08:38 AM   #4
VUPDblue

True, and to expound on shaggy's comments, try to find a lower that is marked "MULTI" instead of caliber-specific. Also, you may need to swap hammers if you buy a complete lower. The 5.56 hammers tend to catch on the 9mm bolts, causing them to get stuck in the open position. This problem is easily remedied by installing a notched 9mm hammer. If your Talon upper has a ramped bolt, the hammer won't be an issue.