The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

View Poll Results: actual experience with taurus
Never owned one, but would if the right deal came along 42 11.76%
never owned one and never will 22 6.16%
owed/still own taurus handguns with no issues 198 55.46%
owned/still own taurus hanguns with problems 95 26.61%
Voters: 357. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 3, 2013, 10:19 PM   #1
TennJed

actual experience with Taurus

I am not a Taurus fanboy by any means, but I have owned 2 taurus over the years with zero problems. The taurus bashing by people who have not first hand expeirence kind of gets old. I am curious to see what actual owners have had. So please vote accordingly
Old February 3, 2013, 10:36 PM   #2
mukwah

I don't understand the Taurus bashing either. I have Rugers, Springfields, Barettas, Colts and have a couple of Taurus. Never had any problems with Taurus to speak of. Seems kinda of rude to bash another mans choice of weapons but I guess the anonimaty of the keyboard enpowers some folks.
Old February 3, 2013, 10:39 PM   #3
alex0535

I think that Taurus sells a whole lot of guns and most people are probably very happy with them. For every 100 people happy with their Taurus, there are 1 or 2 that got a bad one and rant about it on the internet.

I own a Taurus Tracker .17 HMR and have not had a single malfunction.
Old February 3, 2013, 10:51 PM   #4
FrankenMauser

Where are the other options?
-"Owned, but dropped that crap like a bad habit"
-"Still own, but only because I can't sell it"
Old February 3, 2013, 10:52 PM   #5
jmortimer

Had a model 85 revolver what a POS. Had a 450 .45 Colt revolver and no problems. Taurus is not for me. I would consider Rossi 92 lever action.
Old February 3, 2013, 10:55 PM   #6
James K
Member In Memoriam

To be fair, FrankenMauser, what has your experience been that you make those comments?

Jim
Old February 3, 2013, 11:00 PM   #7
KMAX

Never had a problem with any of the five Taurii that I have owned. I still have two of them. Wish I hadn't been stupid enough to listen to other people and sell my PT92. It was a great shooter. I have had more problems with Rugers and Smiths than I ever had with a Taurus. Granted, they were low end Rugers and Smiths, but still more costly than Taurus. Maybe I was lucky with mine or just not unlucky.

I'm not old. I'm CLASSIC!
Old February 3, 2013, 11:00 PM   #8
shootniron

I have owned 2 Taurus revolvers with problems...after 2.5 years, one of them is in the safe with a problem now and I am not paying any more money in shipping to have it returned unfixed or one problem fixed while it has developed another while in the shop without it being caught before it is returned...as happened on the last repair trip. They are junk and I will just chalk this up to experience and spend future dollars elsewhere.
Old February 3, 2013, 11:03 PM   #9
The Great Mahoo

I've owned 3.

My first was a 24-7 Pro .45acp. By and large, a good gun. My only complaint, with stout loads, the mag would drop out sometimes. I'm not sure it was the gun, of if my hand would bump the easy-push button. As I became a better pistol shooter, or simply changing the mag spring probably would have fixed it.

I have one of their .357 snub nose. Again, no major problems. I've had some ammo where the primers may drag when the cylinder rotates. Nothing major, just adds to trigger weight. Decent ammo has no trouble.

Lastly, I hav one of the Judges. If you jerk the trigger, it doesn't line up properly. Slow, smooth pull is no problem. I just keep it around to use in single action on pesky critters around the farm.

All in all, I don't hate Taurus, but I probably won't buy any more.
Old February 3, 2013, 11:06 PM   #10
Cheapshooter

Own a Judge Public Defender Poly, and a PT22 Poly. No problems at all with either.
Plan on buying a Tracker 992 when I can find. 4" stainless model.
Also my son has had a completely trouble free PT-145 for several years.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old February 3, 2013, 11:32 PM   #11
bustersmaster

I had a PT-111 (or some such numbers). It was probably the one gun that fit my hand the best, but had a horrible trigger pull. I never really understood it, the pull weight must have been 20 lbs. on the first shot in a magful of ammo.The subsequent shots were not as bad, but still quite a challenge. I tried loading less than a full mag and still had that "20 lb." trigger pull on the first round. I never found another gun that fit my hand that well, but gave up on it due to the trigger pull. I traded it for a CZ.
Old February 3, 2013, 11:54 PM   #12
Venom1956

Quote:
To be fair, FrankenMauser, what has your experience been that you make those comments?
I'm with FrankenMauser, I've posted numerous times about my THREE experiences with three separate Taurus weapons which all have failed spectacularly or had HUGE/dangerous manufacturing mistakes. I've had issues with several used firearms such as SA, S&W, Ruger and so forth but they've always been used. I've NEVER had 3 for 3 fail in new guns from a single manufacture.

If you can afford a Taurus you can afford a Ruger... unless the model didn't have something comparable offered by Ruger I couldn't fathom why you would go with a Taurus.

I will not slight a man who like their taurus but I wouldn't bet my life on his gun either. I will not recommend a taurus to another due to my experience, seems hypocritical.

I also don't understand why people who defend their Taurus guns feel the need to require ownership to justify an opinion?

You don't need to taste a POS to know that it is in fact a POS. That doesn't just apply to Taurus.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug

Last edited by Venom1956; February 4, 2013 at 12:02 AM.
Old February 3, 2013, 11:58 PM   #13
Redhawk5.5+P+

Quote:
owed/still own taurus handguns with no issues
I don't recommend them, but my Taurus 608 4" 8 shot .357 after 3000 full factory .357s it's still like new, I could have bought a new 905 for a song, I wish I bought it, considering it's about the only 9mm snub that can be had.

Quote:
The taurus bashing by people who have not first hand expeirence kind of gets old.
Kind of like the Glock bashers. I don't recommend them either, but I love my Glock 20SF with a long slide with a comp screwed on the barrel. It looks scary.

Last edited by Redhawk5.5+P+; February 4, 2013 at 12:04 AM.
Old February 3, 2013, 11:58 PM   #14
OkieCruffler

I just bought my 15th Taurus. Of the 15, 14 have been flawless. I bought a 22LR Tracker that did have to go back becasue the cylinder would not always advance. Had it back in my hands in about a week, fixed free of charge. I see a ton of them at the range that seem to be going strong.
Old February 4, 2013, 01:08 AM   #15
9mm

Quote:
Kind of like the Glock bashers
Glock bashers are far and few between the Taurus bashers. Besides, Glocks are used my LEO's in America and other parts of the world. Can Taurus say that?
Old February 4, 2013, 02:42 AM   #16
bigghoss

Had a Taurus 605 .357 snub-nose. Fit and finish was on par with the price I suppose. The cylider catch got stuck twice and the cylinder wouldn't lock into place. I thought I fixed it myself the first time, I had to drive it out with a punch. Basically just disassembled it and took a tapered knife sharpener and tried to polish the hole. The second time it happened I fixed it and then sold it as quick as I could and bought a ruger SP101. Everything about the ruger is far superior to the Taurus.

Had a friend who bought a Judge. Very quickly it fell out of time and was useless. It got fixed and sold to another friend and I'm unaware of any issues since.

Another time I was in a gun store and someone brought in a judge to be sent back for warranty repair. I didn't hear what was wrong with it but I did hear him say it was the second time going back for the same problem.

Conversely I have another friend who is very happy with his PT145 with no malfunctions that I know of. However I think the gun only has maybe 500 rounds through it in about 5 years or so.
Old February 4, 2013, 03:43 AM   #17
Shadi Khalil

I only owned Taurus revolvers and they all had issues, some minor and some serious. I've since sold all of them and never gone back, that was almost ten years ago. Last year I got a chance to spend a day with a more recent example from Taurus, the famed Judge. It had a terrible trigger, very stiff cylinder latch and a sticky ejection rod, all problems I had with the ones I owned.

While some people have great experiences with Taurus firearms, I've found them to be the pig wearing lip stick of the gun industry. They sure look good sitting in that case, sometimes even better than the more expensive S&W or Ruger sitting right next to it. But in the end, its function over form every time when it comes to guns.

My opinion is purely based on experience; I'm not part of the "never owned a Taurus but I bash them anyways" conspiracy I hear so much about.

Last edited by Shadi Khalil; February 4, 2013 at 03:48 AM. Reason: Poor choice of words
Old February 4, 2013, 04:13 AM   #18
bubbacrabb

I owned a PT1911 for a while. Was a good gun, fed everything, and was very accurate. Only thing I couldnt stand was the ugly TAURUS PT1911 on the slide. I couldnt get over it. Was just so ugly. So I sold it to a friend and he still shoots it. If it would of been a plain slide it would probably been one of my favorite 1911s.
Old February 4, 2013, 04:54 AM   #19
wolfgaurd

i have the 431 44 spl. ive had it for years and never had a prob. it is one of my best revolvers.
Old February 4, 2013, 06:10 AM   #20
bacardisteve

Had a tracker 44mag that locked up after less than 100 rounds. When I got it back from them I sold it.
Old February 4, 2013, 07:13 AM   #21
Kreyzhorse

I had a Taurus M85 that froze up solid after less than 250 rounds. After my wnderful Taurus customer service experience, I sold the gun and decided that the M85 was going to be my first, and last, Taurus.

Clearly, you can get a good Taurus. It is almost an equal chance of getting a bad one. With their sterling customer service, it just isn't worth taking a chance in my opinion.
Old February 4, 2013, 07:45 AM   #22
kozak6

I've never owned one.

I'd consider one of their .22 revolvers or their Beretta 92 copy if I saw a good deal.

Otherwise, I'd rather get something proven from other manufacturers instead.
Old February 4, 2013, 08:00 AM   #23
loose_holster_dan

had two. both sucked.

one was a pt917c (railed version of pt92)
the other was a first gen 24/7 pro c
"A Sig is like a lightsaber - not as clumsy or random as a Glock."
Old February 4, 2013, 08:42 AM   #24
MLeake

I saw too many issues with NiB Tauri at a friend's gun shop, before they quit stocking the brand.

Of three friends who own Tauri, two have been happy, but the other has had feed issues.

This is too bad, as I would otherwise have pounced on a 905.
Old February 4, 2013, 10:14 AM   #25
JNad

I have a Taurus, PT 99. I inherited it from my father, so I didn't spend a dime on it, and have no reason to say I like it.

However, I can't bring myself to get rid of it. It runs like a swiss watch. I have had zero problems with it. It eats every type of ammo I throw at it. It is accurate, and I love that it can be carried cocked and locked OR you can decock it and go with double action first pull.

It is the stainless slide version with an aluminum frame with rosewood stocks, so its even a pretty good looking gun.

I have thought multiple times about selling or trading my Taurus, but I can't do it, b/c there is a very distinct chance I could get something that is no where near as good.