The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 1, 2013, 09:04 PM   #1
TheBlindMan

Quick Question About 9mm 95 Grain Montana Gold JHP Load Data?

i have been reloading for about a year now. normally i purchase bullets that match up to my powder and richard lee reloading data. but i came across some 95 grain montana gold jhp that i want to use not only in 380 but also 9mm luger. after spending hours searching the net i have only come across one small bit of data that just was not enough for me.

can anyone please help me in getting reload data for 9mm luger using montana gold 95 grain jhp using unique powder or data using this bullet with any powder at all? i am always willing to try new powders if i can find it locally.

thanks to anyone who might be able to help. im looking forward to spending sunday reloading!
Old February 1, 2013, 10:50 PM   #2
golfnutrlv

Welcome to the site!

I looked at my load manuals (Speer and Hornady) Neither lists 95 grain data. Good on you for not trusting one ok source. I always double check my data against something published.

The one experience I had with super light bullets in 9mm was a couple boxes of 100 grain hornady's a friend bought for me at a gunshow, when nothing else was available. They shot ok, but would not cycle the action all the way reliably. If you want a cheaper option than Montana Gold try Precision Delta. (i'm an ex-Montana Gold customer since their prices go up constantly)

http://www.precisiondelta.com/

A lot cheaper than MGB, and honestly, they shoot right next to them in terms of accuracy IMO.
America is at an awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards.
Old February 2, 2013, 09:34 AM   #3
steve4102

Lee does not have his own tested load data. It is copied from other sources, mostly the Free data available from powder manufacturers.

You do not need to use tested data specific to the MG bullets. It is perfectly fine/safe to use tested data of same weight and similar construction from different bullet manufacturers.

Sierra and Lyman have data for both the 380 and the 9mm with 95gr bullets.
Old February 2, 2013, 10:02 AM   #4
KillThe9Ball

Only a FMJ is listed

TheBlindMan,

(** Not recommended load for this bullet - Just what I've read **)

Can't really help you, Lyman's (48th Edition) only list one 95 gr. bullet for the 9mm Luger and it's a FMJ (Sierra FMJ #8105, 95 gr.).

1.005" OAL

Unique Start:4.5 Velocity:1007 Pressure:22,000
Max:5.8 Velocity:1399 Pressure:32,000

------Lyman's (44th manual)-------(1960's)--------

95 gr. FMJ

Unique Start:4.8 Velocity:1000 Pressure:Not Listed
Max:6.2 Velocity:1275 Pressure:Not Listed

Given you have JHP's instead of FMJ's, I would expect your C.O.A.L./seating depth to be the main variable(s) (of course, bullet length and jacket thickness/alloy).

I'm new to reloading so I can't answer your question, all I can do is post the data I have for this cartridge/grain weight. If I were in your shoes, I'd back it off to 4.2 for starters and give it a try in a +p or +p+ rated pistol.

While I'm still learning, I'm curious as to how the data on the FMJ in my Lyman's manuals compares to the data you've found online. I'm still trying to learn how to gauge the differences between my various data sources.

Good Luck
Old February 2, 2013, 10:02 AM   #5
j357

Both the 1st and 2nd editions of Modern Reloading by R Lee have suggested load data for the 95 grain bullets in these calibers using Unique powder. What you will have to research and evaluate is the Overall Length (OAL) needed due to the HP construction of the MG bullet you have. Suggest you review the OAL differences listed between a 95g FMJ and the nearby listed 90g XTP which is a HP. Somewhere in that vicinity is a good number to begin making dummy rounds to verify chambering (and whether the bullet sets back or hits the rifling) and subsequent load development - starting at minimum charge.

Time to get out the sharpies and tools to do some cyphering

Last edited by j357; February 2, 2013 at 11:55 PM.
Old February 2, 2013, 03:25 PM   #6
TheBlindMan

thanks everyone for your time in responding to my post. i have decided to give this a shot. i have taken a lot of data and believe i have enough to start at a nice safe low load. i will load a few up and give i a try. thanks again!
Old February 3, 2013, 02:15 PM   #7
TheBlindMan

i just got back from the range. i loaded 20 of the 95 grain montana gold jhp in once fired brass with cci primers and 5.8 grains of alliant unique powder with a oal of 1.055 . they all fired perfectly. it felt just a tad light but kept all of them in a 4 inch group at 12 yards with my beretta nano. also i just purchased a nice chrono so i will be checking the data next week at the range.