The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old March 6, 2011, 05:34 PM   #1
catzor

When/Why do the groundhogs come out?

For starters, I'm in NC, just north of Winston Salem. My friend wants me to come over to his place one night next week while I'm home for spring break and see if we can thin out the groundhog population. Seems early to me, but I've read online that they come out of hibernation in march-april to mate. What are you all's experiences with seeing the first woodchucks of the year? Do they need unseasonably warm weather to be out early or is it just a biological clock sort of thing where they come out at the same time(for a given area) no matter what? I figure it'll be a blast(literally) whether there are any woodchucks in the crosshairs or not. I'm just curious.
Old March 6, 2011, 07:05 PM   #2
GirlswithGuns

We live in Ohio and my grandfather already has the traps out. Your correct about the hibernation time. Generally they are in full abundance in early April, but I have seen a few already. It just depends on the area you guys are in and the climate. It has been unseasonably warm here so I do believe they are poking their heads out a little early.