The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 2, 2013, 08:51 AM   #1
ROSW

New to reloading

After a lot of reading I'm ready to load my first rounds. Finally acquired all the components though some were not my first choice.
Pistol: M&P40 FS
Power: IMR SR7625 (HP38/231 preferred but unable to find)
Primer: CCI 500 (small pistol)
Bullet: FMP 180gr RNFP (plated)
Brass: Range - inspected, deprimed, cleaned, tumbled, debuldged, sized & inspected
Use: Target
The Hodgdon Reloading Data Center lists the following load data (closest I could find):
180GR BERB FP COL=1.125" Start=5.2GR Max=5.8GR
I understand the BERB to be Berry's but have not seen it confirmed. I have not found any other load info for the components I have at hand (though I do have some Berry's 180gr FP on order).
Initial loads will be 40SW. If all goes well and I can find the dies, I have an XD9 that also needs feeding.
Sorry for the length of the post. Suggestions, comments, advise will be appreciated.
Old August 2, 2013, 09:12 AM   #2
oldpapps

ROSW, welcome to the nut-house.

The 40 cal S&W is an intense cartridge, so take care.

I don't load 180 grainers or plated or use IMR SR7625 powder (I'm not good for much if anything) but, start with the listed 'STARTING' load from a well known and respected source (books and or manufactures web page data). Compare that data with other sources to see if they all are in line with each other.

Seating depth is a bigger factor with the 40 than say the old 38s, so maintain the same over all cartridge length. Scooting in or out will make big pressure changes.

Start slow. Don't load up a thousand round before you test one.

Test, evaluate and determine if 'that' loading meets your needs. Adjust if it doesn't. As you are using plated bullets and they are not for high speed, all you need is consistent positive function at the lowest level.

Something that is seldom mentioned, keep records of what you load, components wise, and what the results were. That way you have a written basis for changes.

Priorities:
Safety
Function
Accuracy
Energy/velocity

Load with care and enjoy,

OSOK