The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 5, 2013, 08:29 AM   #1
led0321

What primers are yall using

For AR 10's?

Sent using Tapatalk
Old February 5, 2013, 08:35 AM   #2
DiscoRacing

CCI
Old February 5, 2013, 08:37 AM   #3
Unclenick
Staff

CCI #34
TulAmmo KVB762

Can't find either available at the moment.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old February 5, 2013, 11:20 AM   #4
led0321

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclenick View Post
CCI #34
TulAmmo KVB762

Can't find either available at the moment.
I know where a lot of #34's are

I cannot run 4895 though with those

Sent using Tapatalk
Old February 5, 2013, 01:07 PM   #5
Unclenick
Staff

Why on earth are you unable to use 4895 with them? Most M1A match shooters using the #34's use either 4895, 4064, RL-15 or Varget with them. Military rifles are what they were designed for. The fact they are magnum primers isn't relevant as long as you work the load up with them.

See this primer article.
Old February 5, 2013, 01:25 PM   #6
led0321

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclenick View Post
Why on earth are you unable to use 4895 with them? Most M1A match shooters using the #34's use either 4895, 4064, RL-15 or Varget with them. Military rifles are what they were designed for. The fact they are magnum primers isn't relevant as long as you work the load up with them.

See this primer article.
The Rep at CCI told me not to, I will read the article though, thanks.

I found 400 winchester large rifle primers at a local store so those should last me a little while.

Sent using Tapatalk
Old February 5, 2013, 04:56 PM   #7
Unclenick
Staff

In general it's a bad idea to use the softer standard primer in a gun with a floating firing pin. That's what the #34's are for. Read the posts by Slamfire in this thread to see why. I have no clue what the fellow at CCI was thinking, but the article is by Alan Jones who worked for CCI and you could probably write him for a second opinion. Very odd. All I can think is he meant you should not substitute a magnum primer into load data for a standard primer, and that's so. You want to knock an extra 5% off the starting charge weight for it, just to be sure. Mostly though, with large rifle primers they wind up making surprisingly little difference; less than you see with small rifle primers.

If you want a military hard primer that is not magnum, then look for the TulAmmo KVB762.
Old February 5, 2013, 05:26 PM   #8
BigTex308

I use CCI on just about everything.

Ike
Old February 5, 2013, 05:35 PM   #9
FloridaGuy

I use only CCI primers.That is because that is the only brand I can find locally.
Old February 5, 2013, 08:59 PM   #10
Cavitation

Whatever the hell I can find!!!
Old February 6, 2013, 01:58 PM   #11
Unclenick
Staff

Led0321,

I called CCI to try to sort out what was going on with the #34 primer and 4895 so commonly used with it in gas guns, and they told me it was not that they knew it was a bad combination, but just that they hadn't ever tested the two together themselves. For liability reasons they're not going recommend or suggest anything they haven't personally tested. But if you pop over to the CMP forums you'll find the two are used together frequently. Especially in .30-06 fired in the Garand.

Nick
Old February 6, 2013, 02:57 PM   #12
Slamfire

Absolutely amazing that CCI does not know that IMR 4895 was the powder that was used in the development of the 7.62 round. Nor must the chuckle heads know that the non corrosive primer used in the 308 round was the FA #34. Which, CCI told me, the CCI #34 meets the requirements of.

It is as Mark Humphreville says in his post” IT DON’T GO BANG:
FIRES, HANGFIRES, MISFIRES AND SHORT ORDER COOKS IN JERSEY by
http://riflemansjournal.blogspot.com...t-go-bang.html

The ignorance in the firearms industry is amazing.

Of course CCI #34 primers work well in gas guns, the port pressure is appropriate for M1a’s and has to be therefore good for AR-10’s.

I recommend starting out with a load of a 168 Match (SMK, Nosler, Hornady, Speer, etc) and 40.5 grains IMR 4895 LC cases CCI #34 primers OAL LT 2.800” I seat mine around 2.790” because I run the same ammunition in a bolt gun and I want clearance when I stripper clip the stuff in the magazine. Go half a grain at a time till you stop at 41.5 grains IMR 4895. Somewhere between those charges will be a load that you can win the National Championships.

I run 41.0 grains out to 300 yards then bump it up to 41.5 grains at 600 yards.
Old February 6, 2013, 05:11 PM   #13
Unclenick
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slamfire
The ignorance in the firearms industry is amazing.
It is rather astonishing when you consider how many sharp minds have been involved in the industry at one time or another. But they aren't always met with enthusiasm.

On another board, Mark gives an example:
Quote:
Larry Moore, who was section chief of small arms at APG to went to FA and was senior munitions engineer there and then to RIA as Chairman of the Configuration Control Board…

…did tell me he was constantly fighting with Lake {City} to produce better (closer dispersion) ammo especially in the MATCH lines and I know the folks at Lake hated him and were tickled no end when he retired with 42 years service and the MATCH lot acceptance from then on was mostly waivered.

He personally oversaw and ordered the selected componant{s for} production on lots 60-1, 60-2, 60-3, 60-4 and 60-5 which were all outstanding M118 runs and I suspect there is not a round left to be had as the MTUs snatched it all up quickly. Larry retired soon thereafter and Lake went back to their same old practices. Thusly, when Federal came up with the much superior FED MATCH their sales went through the roof {to} the MTUs.
Doing anything differently from the way it was always done before meets with a lot of resistance. Probably twice as much resistance if the old way was easier. Probably three times as much resistance if the new way does it better. And that's true even if the better way is easier because it serves to prove they weren't doing as well as they might have done previously. That's taken as an insult and resented above most all else.
"Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity knows no bounds."
Anonymous
The liability issue may be distorting it, but suggesting a primer made specifically for .30 cal gas guns might not be appropriate to use with the single powder most commonly reloaded for use in those guns, is just plain bizarre. Besides, if I recall your own experiments showed in the .30-06 that the velocity produced with 4895 was actually a little lower with the #34 than the Federal 210M produces. That's something Hartmut Broemel comments can happen with some magnum primer formulations. It's not all obvious, I suppose, but one should believe the evidence of ones eyes at some point.

Last edited by Unclenick; February 7, 2013 at 11:21 AM. Reason: typo fix
Old February 6, 2013, 07:31 PM   #14
led0321

Interesting.....

I found some Winchester Large Rifle here local wo I bought 500.

I should order some #34's as well

Sent using Tapatalk