The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 2, 2013, 02:49 PM   #1
leadchucker

Scored!

I came across a gun store in Yellowbook that advertised reloading supplies. It was about fifty miles away, but I decided to drive over and check it out anyway. It was right in the middle of a residential neighborhood, in the garage/basement of a house. He had a small sign out front. He had about a hundred guns, and quite a bit of ammo and reloading supplies, all priced very reasonably. Several people were there. He filled out paperwork on two guns while I was there. He was doing a pretty good business.

He didn't have any small pistol primers, but he did have one brick of CCI large pistol primers, and a pound of W231, at pre-Obama prices. Like striking gold.

Anyway, that looks like the kind of business model I would like to try, maybe when I retire. Anyone else know of garage operations like that that work?

Last edited by leadchucker; February 2, 2013 at 03:04 PM.
Old February 2, 2013, 03:30 PM   #2
WWWJD

I wish. There's nothing like that around here (that I know of anyway). Would much rather deal with a small shop atmosphere.

NRA Endowment FTW
Old February 2, 2013, 03:58 PM   #3
math teacher

I have two on my area that can't normally support one. Right now in the current panic they are making money. In the long run it is closer to a hobby than a business.
Old February 3, 2013, 11:57 AM   #4
Ifishsum

I love places like that, wish there were more of them.
Old February 3, 2013, 12:08 PM   #5
BigD_in_FL

I did the same decades ago, but with today's climate, it be a little harder. You would need to be zoned for that in your neighborhood, or the ATF won't allow your FFL app to go through. Security and insurance, fire code,etc.

If that is all cool where you live, and it hasn't been illegal by then, go for it. Start with consignment guns, keeps inventory money available for ammo and supplies
Old February 3, 2013, 03:19 PM   #6
jag2

Sounds great and satisfying but I think the paper work and regulations would be a nightmare. Makes me wonder if he is really up to code or maybe he lives in an unincorporated area. Just don't ask, the less you know the better.
Old February 3, 2013, 06:04 PM   #7
Live45

Back in the early 80's I had a very small shop that I ran out of my home near Pittsburgh Pa. Had to get a variance to the zoning law which took about a month to process. I was forbidden by the municipality from storing any ammo on premises. I now live in central Florida and have no idea what the paperwork is involved here, or now in Pa. Back then the paperwork was very very simple. Log any guns you receive into your bound book and log them out when sold. No waiting period on long guns but handguns required that you send buyers info by certified mail to the county sheriff. If you don't hear back from them within 3 business days the buyer could pickup the gun. No waiting if you were a cop. I worked in a large factory with over 3000 employees of which most were avid hunters so I didn't have to do much advertising once the word got out. However, most of my sales were handguns used for home defense.
Old February 3, 2013, 10:01 PM   #8
Sevens

If that place is in Western NC where I might be motoring through, I'd be very interested in giving him some business myself. Sounds like a fun place.
Old February 3, 2013, 10:18 PM   #9
NWPilgrim

With the regularity of gun ban scares and resultant surge in all out demand for anything in popular calibers it makes me wonder if it would be worthwhile to have a business just for such times. Keep my day job for the intervening years and build up inventory so that when panic periods occur every 3-4 years I could sell a ton of stock in a short period of time. Not with the idea of jacking up prices, but just move a lot of inventory in say 3-4 months.

Right now I am pretty sure I could sell as much ammo or components as I could possibly afford to accumulate over a 3 yr period, or anything else that is in demand. Sort like how most big retailers make all their profits in Decemer but on a multi-year cycle instead of annual one.
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison
Old February 3, 2013, 10:39 PM   #10
Dan Newberry

sounds like you found New Era... right in my back yard, practically...