The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 2, 2013, 06:56 PM   #1
TROOPER2

Reloading 223 with 1/7 twist

Just got a new m4 colt 223 16 in barrel with 1/7 twist.i have alot of hornardy 55 v-max bullets.does anyone have a good recipe so i dont waste a lot loading supplies.
Old February 2, 2013, 06:59 PM   #2
UtopiaTexasG19

Well, I guess the first question is what powder do you have available? Every powder mfg. has a web site with their powders with different loads. Do you own any re-loading manuals?
Old February 2, 2013, 07:11 PM   #3
boostedtt91

ive been using IMR 3031 right now for my 223 loads. Id grab alittle bit heavier bullet if your shooting for accuracey though.
Old February 3, 2013, 11:37 AM   #4
mohr308

I use H335 in my 16" AR, it shoots very clean and accurate. I also use a 65gr SGK, I don't really plink with it. I agree with boosted, if you want accuracy you want a heavier bullet! If you can find them, I would take a guess and say the 69gr or 77gr SMK would do well for you. Good luck and have fun! Oh yeah, what primers do you plan on using?
Old February 3, 2013, 12:35 PM   #5
Unclenick
Staff

CAUTION: The following post includes loading data beyond currently published maximums for this cartridge. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. Neither the writer, The Firing Line, nor the staff of TFL assume any liability for any damage or injury resulting from use of this information.

Trooper2,

Welcome to the forum.

Nobody's recipe will be exactly suited to your rifle but the one you find best in it. Too much depends on your individual chamber dimensions.

As suggested, that 55 grain V-max bullet is a bit short for the 7" twist, and you'll probably get best accuracy from something like the 77 grain Sierra MatchKing. But for the 55 grain V-max bullets you have, seated to 2.250" COL (Hornady's recommendation for this bullet) and given the various reloading supply shortages, I would combine the TulAmmo KVB556M primer or the Federal GMM205MAR (not the same as the GMM205M without the AR suffix) with IMR4198 for a load. A book recommendation would be to start at about 18 grains of powder and work up toward about 20 grains, looking for a best accuracy point.

Different sources have different starting loads and maximum loads. My own last best load in that bullet weight was 20.7 grains, which exceeds some published maximums by a little bit, and can run slightly over SAAMI MAP (Maximum Average Pressure) in a tight match chamber. But keep in mind that while SAAMI puts a 55,000 psi pressure limit on this cartridge, NATO and the CIP put a higher 62,336 psi (430 MPa) limit on both the .223 Rem and 5.56 NATO rounds, so from a safety standpoint you have some headroom in your gun. Just work up in steps no greater than 2%, while watching for pressure signs. I don't think you'll see any unless you get soft brass like Federal and some recent production Winchester. If you are looking for an accuracy load, makes the steps smaller at 0.2 to 0.3 grains per step. I'd be surprised if something between 19 and 21 grains didn't do well.

The nice features of IMR 4198 are that, like a lot of accuracy powders, it doesn't cause as large a change in velocity per grain in the top operating pressure range as some others do. It is bulky and fills the case in the 90% range at the upper loads, which is good, even though these are two to six grain lighter charges than a number of other powders require to achieve the same pressure with a 55 grain bullet. The lighter charges are economical (more loads per pound). The only limitation is you will not maximize velocity with it within reasonable pressures. But it should still put them out plenty fast enough to stay supersonic to 500 yards and maybe even to 600, and nothing you hit with it to 300 yards is going to notice the difference. This is one of the powders Eugene Stoner worked with and liked in the AR for light bullets.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle