The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 2, 2013, 11:34 AM   #1
jdixon88

reloadin 9mm & 40s&w

Hey guys I got a question. I'm new to reloading and with the shortages Moscow thought i would start to save some money. Me and my dad bought some Winchester 115 gr FMJ and 165gr FMJ 40s&w rounds purely because they were cheap. I had planned on reloading nosler rounds because that's what I had the most information on and that load called for Blue Dot powder which I already had. My question is I'm having trouble finding inform on these 2 rounds using Blue Dot powder. The info I have found doesn't have blue dot on their data. I was wondering if anybody could tell me if I can use blue dot for Winchester rounds and what a good load to start with is.
Thanks
Old February 2, 2013, 11:53 AM   #2
CherokeeT

Try the Alliant powder website, they make Bludot. I have used BD in 9mm, don't load 40. Their 2011 book does show BD loads for 9
Old February 2, 2013, 01:47 PM   #3
jdixon88

I see they have load data for 155gr speer rounds and 180gr speer rounds but nothing for 165gr Winchester. Since I can't really find anything and haven't even reloaded round one yet, I'm thinking just start at the bottom say 5.0gr of BD and work my way up .2 grains at a time till if find a good workable load.
Old February 2, 2013, 05:42 PM   #4
F23Blackwidow2

I got some

I got 36 once fired 9mm Luger brass. Not cleaned or anything cause I dont reload. For $10 its yours. A deal can be made for $6, but I'm trying to save for some more ammo. Its EXPENSIVE now-a-days!
Old February 2, 2013, 06:46 PM   #5
boostedtt91

If you can't find data for a specific load for say Hornady bullets you have and the powder you want to use, look through different loading manuals that have loads for that powder and that weight bullet and go by that. For example i am using Unique for my 9mm and they don't have any loads listed for 115G bullets in Hornady's manual so i go by Sierra's load for a 115G bullet. I would just stay on the lower end of the scale when doing this, don't max out the load
Old February 2, 2013, 07:04 PM   #6
jdixon88

Are all bullets inheritantly created equal? Say a 115gr FMJ 9mm from Winchester be equal to a 115gr sierra round? Am I being overly cautious or is it fine to use load data for the same weight and type of round regardless of brand?