The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 31, 2013, 12:09 PM   #1
Shotput79

Reloading The 243 Winchester.

I ran across a thread for reloading the 243 from back in June and didn't want to drag it up. My question is using the 75gr Sierra HPs what would be a good powder to try out in a Remington 700 with 22' bbl not a bull bbl. I have been looking up loading data most of the morning and now I'm really not sure what powder to use. I don't want to burn the throat of my gun out and would like a cleaner burning powder to get the job done. If there is such a thing. I thought you guy's could stear me along the way. I don't have the cash to put a bull bbl on it right now so I need to take care of the one that's on it. I came up with about six different powders and stopped looking. I'd like to get about 3.000 to 3.400 fps with out burning up the rifle bbl. The factory bbl shoots right at 1 to 1 1/2' groups now at 100 yrds with 100 gr factory loaded bullets now if that gives you any info to go by.
Old January 31, 2013, 12:18 PM   #2
L_Killkenny

2 main powders for .243 - IMR4064 and H4895. If ya can't get it done with one or both of those it just ain't gonna get done.
Old January 31, 2013, 03:41 PM   #3
Sure Shot Mc Gee

It a nice thought that your wanting to keep your rifle in good condition. But it is indeed a tool that over time will wear out if shot allot. All powders can create barrel throat erosion. Just that some grades of powders will do it a little quick. Large charges of slow burning powders. Especially so. I've been reloading 243 for many years for the Son and I and have always used the little 75-80 gr. HPs. Which is our preference for Deer here in Minnesota when it comes to hunting with our 243s. I do prefer using IMR-4831 measured at a rather large charge rate under that 75. So we both accept that my little R- 77 Flat Bolt and the son's 77 Round Bolt accuracies will indeed fall off some day. To where they both become close quarters rifles. Threading the scaled Charge Rate I use would serve no purpose for you I don't believe? Although it is a very accurate and a speedy load up well past 3400 fps. But OP if you feel differently and want to try it. Just PM me for the charge rate and my brass choice. ( Why Brass?: One brand gave me better results in accuracy over all the rest.) No problem what-so-ever if wanting. Good luck with your quest Sir._

S/S
Old January 31, 2013, 05:59 PM   #4
Shotput79

OK Thinks guys. I also said I can't come up with the cash right now to rebarrel the rifle with a bull barrel. This being a Remington model 700 what would be a good bull barrel to look for when it comes to rebarreling a rifle like this. I understand I'll end up having to get a new stock for it. I can handle that part. Neve hurts to look.
Old January 31, 2013, 06:44 PM   #5
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I've had great success for tight groups from my little Sako 19" carbine with 3031. I'm using the same loading now as back in 1971.

70-grain Hornadys for varmints, and 85-grain Sierra HPBTs for deer. 1/2 MOA with the Hornadys; at most 3/4 MOA with the Sierras.

Max at 40.0 and 37.5 grains, respectively, which is what my father had been using from the beginning days of the .243's existence.

While I've not really kept count, I know there have been over a thousand rounds shot, and the last time at the bench I put three behind a dime at 100 yards.
Old January 31, 2013, 09:04 PM   #6
gundog5

Just wanted to say, you should not be worrying about burning your barrel out. I shoot 200-300 rounds a month and in 40 years of shooting I have only shot out one barrel. All my loads are full power loads. Pick a good powder (as indicated by others) work your loads up watching for signs of excessive pressure until you are satisfied with the accuracy/performance. Have fun
Old February 1, 2013, 07:23 AM   #7
Shotput79

Thanks L_Killkenny, Sure Shot Mc Gee, Art Eatman, gundog5. All you fellas have been a big help. I'm going to do just what you guys have said build me up some loads till I'm happy with it and have some fun with it. Good Lord willing I'll save up a little each payday and get the things I need for a rebuild while the prices are still low and put them to the side for a later time. I had a bossman at the place where I worked that took his 243 and built a rifle that was a scream to shoot. He took the 243 case and necked it down to 224 cal and had a smith to build a stainless steel bull barrel made to fit the round and put it on a Remington 700 action he would load for it one weekend and go chuckhog hunting with his buddies at the end of each month. That fella would go all over the country hunting them little gubbers. He's one of the reasons I got hooked up with my first 243. They are net little rifles. I like shooting mine they don't beat you to death to have a little fun with. Welp all you fellas have a good day.
Old February 1, 2013, 10:07 AM   #8
schmellba99

40.5 gr of H414 puts 1/2" to 5/8" 5 shot groups at 100 all day long with my factory Win 70, a 95 gr BST, Winchester brass and Winchester LRP.

Took me a while to develop the load, but once I finally got it dialed in - the rifle just hits on target every single time as long as I do my part in the beginning.
Old February 2, 2013, 04:24 PM   #9
Shotput79

Any you guys ever tryed Hornady 58 gr V-Max Supperformance ammo? WOW those things shoot good out of my 243. Just wanted to try them out to see how they would do I was supprized. Pretty good ammo cost like the dickens but steel good ammo from what I can tell.