The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 1, 2013, 05:00 PM   #1
overhead

9mm Sticking in Wolf barrel

Hi, I am hoping some more experienced reloaders can help me with an issue. For the first time last week I reloaded 9mm. I have reloaded 40's and 223's for a while but I would still consider myself a novice. This was my first attempt with the 9. I never really considered reloading 9 as they were pretty cheap and available, but, now not so much. A friend started reloading and found he did not like it, he had the dies, some new brass and bullets that I bought from him fairly cheap.

I am not sure how much this matters, but, I used 6.1 grains of Herco, the bullets are Sierra 125 grain FMJ's and the cases are new Winchester. My first mistake was loading 50 without testing a couple out first, but I learned my lesson. I do not have a chamber gauge or a go/no to gauge for 9mm so I just used the barrel off my Browning Hi-power. All the rounds went in fine. I was going to take my Glock 22 with a Wolf 9mm conversion barrel to shoot some in the mountains this weekend so I decided to check to make sure the cartridges were going to chamber.

The first round chambered, but heck if I could get it to eject. So here we have my second mistake, instead of removing the barrel and verifying the cartridge would fit, I instead just stuck a couple in the mag and cycled the slide. I knew the Wolf chambers were tight, but I did not expect this. Anyway, after several rather nervous minutes I was able to use a small screw driver to pry the ejector off the rim and was able to get the slide back and cartridge out. I checked the width of the case and it was well within spec. I then checked the length and discovered it was 1.163, the others I loaded were as well. My manual lists the min. OAL for the 125 grain FMJ to be 1.150. My guess is the cartridge is too long, even though I see a max for 9mm being listed as 1.169. Does that sound like the problem?

To address this problem should I just adjust the bullet seating die and adjust the depth of the bullets as loaded now, or, should I remove the bullet and start all over? Any help or advice would be appreciated.
Old February 1, 2013, 05:09 PM   #2
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

It won't hurt anything to seat the bullets a little deeper, assuming you're at a starting load and stay within published OAL limits.

Not all bullets can be seated to the max OAL listed. It all depends on the nose shape.

By "Wolf" I assume you mean Lone Wolf? If so, they are known for having some tight chambers and sometimes the barrels even need to be sent back to be opened up a bit.

If bumping the rounds a bit shorter doesn't help, that may be your next move.
Old February 1, 2013, 05:37 PM   #3
overhead

Thanks. Yes, sorry, I meant Lone Wolf. The manual I am using "Modern Reloading" list the starting load for Herco when using a FMJ bullet to be 6.1 which is what I loaded so I should be good there. The OAL min is listed at 1.150 I will seat them a little closer to the OAL and see what happens. I tried a couple of different factory loads I had around the house and they seem to chamber fine in the barrel, so I assume it is just my mistake. It appears I am having one of those slow brain days, so I probably should wait until I get back next week seat the bullets a little deeper.

Last edited by overhead; February 1, 2013 at 05:43 PM.
Old February 1, 2013, 07:19 PM   #4
chris in va

Couple of things.

It's my understanding the Wolf barrels are pretty tight. Consider using a Lee factory crimp die, or adjust your seating die for a bit more taper crimp. Also 1.163 is awfully darn long, definitely try 1.15.

Also switch powders. Herco isn't known for 9mm use and I can't even find any load data for it. Switch to Universal, Bullseye or 231.
Old February 1, 2013, 07:31 PM   #5
overhead

Thanks, Chris. I agree it is too long, I am not sure what I was thinking. If I could get powder I would, I have to use Herco because that is what I have on hand. I have had a little trouble finding other powders locally, I am sort of stuck with Herco until I can find something else. Herco 9mm loads are included in the "modern reloading" handbook, at least they are in the version I have.

That being said I may run up to the gun show in Richmond VA tomorrow to see if I can find any.

Last edited by overhead; February 1, 2013 at 07:37 PM.
Old February 1, 2013, 11:01 PM   #6
rlc323

You may want to check your case length as well and trim as needed. Max length 0.754", and minimum 0.744".

9mm headspaces on the case mouth, so like was mentioned before, the taper crimp would be critical with a tight barrel.
Old February 1, 2013, 11:41 PM   #7
Memnok

I have a Lone Wolf 40 to 9mm conversion barrel, and I've also experienced difficulty with reloading 9mm that works well in it. Mine seemed to pierce primers all the time. The exact same primers seated in a 40 case worked just fine. And the 9mm loads worked fine in other barrels. I think the Lone Wolf conversion barrels leave something to be desired.
That government is best which governs least, because its people discipline themselves. - Thomas Jefferson
Old February 2, 2013, 02:38 PM   #8
overhead

I ran by the gun show in Richmond, VA this morning and was able to find some small pistol primers, so I am stocked up for a while. Unfortunately, I could not find any powder. One guy had some HP38, but it was in an 8 pound container and I have no need (and no want) to spend that much on powder at the moment. Looks like I will be sticking with the Herco for a while

I checked the case length, it is good. I am about to go in to try to seat the bullets a little deeper to see if it helps.

Memnok, i read the thread that was linked in your post, did you solve the problem or was it consistent with the Lone Wolf barrel? When I drop in some factory loaded 115 grain FMJ cartridges they drop much deeper then my reloads. Unfortunately, I don't believe I will be able to actually shoot the pistol until I get back up to the mountains next weekend. I could go to an indoor range, but those places scare me.
Old February 2, 2013, 04:13 PM   #9
overhead

OK, I made up a dummy round using this 125 grain bullet and the same case. In order to chamber correctly in this barrel I had to take the OAL down to 1.120. But, a factory 124 grain cartridge that measures at 1.147 chambers just fine. It appears the barrel just does not like this particular 125 grain bullet unless it is seated pretty deeply. Using w231 or HP38 I can go down to 1.095, but with Herco I can only go to 1.150. So, I suppose I will have to use these in my Browning Hi-power, it's chamber seems to like them just fine.

Thanks for the help. I suppose when things die down a little I can pick up some 115 grain bullets to try in this Lone Wolf barrel and maybe a different powder.