The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 18, 2012, 10:39 AM   #1
McBuck

870 Not Behaving Properly

OK..not a noob by any stretch. I have been shooting for 40 years, and have owned multiple 870's since 86'...Wingmasters, Police Specials, Exp Mags, etc....anyway...I have an older 870 Express that just does not want to play nice. The gun loads, shoots and cycles just fine...that is, right up until I try to expedite the loading process to a "dove field speed." It seems like I have to slow down pushing loads into the mag tube. The gun is clean and has no burrs that would impede loading...it seems almost as if he mag tube is too large, and the face of shells get caught on the mag wall. I don't have an answer.....Anyone here have a clue?
Old December 18, 2012, 08:02 PM   #2
Dfariswheel

If I understand, you're having a problem inserting shells into the magazine tube quickly?

First step is to fully disassemble the magazine tube assembly.

Clean the inside of the tube with a large diameter tube brush or a large rag with a shotgun cleaning rod.
Inspect the tube for dents, rust, caked on fouling, plastic shell residue, or old lubricant.
Inspect the rear of the tube where it enters the receiver for damage.

Inspect the shell releases in the receiver for damage. "Usually" if the gun is functioning the releases are good.

Inspect the magazine spring for kinks, bends, broken ends, rust, spring set, or other problems. If in doubt, replace the spring, they're cheap.

Inspect/replace the magazine follower.
Some of the thin plastic factory followers expand over time and can cause problems.
Good replacements are another factory follower, of a Wilson/Scattergun Tech bright green follower.
Old December 18, 2012, 08:21 PM   #3
drail

Yup. The first thing I would do is clean and inspect the inside of the mag tube, replace the mag spring with a new one (extra power if you plan to keep it loaded) and buy a decent follower. The Remington follower is junk. You would be amazed how much crud can get into the mag tube and they rarely if ever get cleaned.