The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old December 19, 2011, 07:27 AM   #326
baddarryl

I learned to hold my gun with 2 hands while on the move to avoid swinging it which could get one called for a 180 violation in IDPA.
Old December 19, 2011, 04:46 PM   #327
RickB

I can't watch TV and drink beer for two weeks and then expect to shoot well the first time I get a gun back in my hands.
Old January 7, 2012, 09:23 PM   #328
XDmKen

push the magazine all the way in on a reload.
Old January 8, 2012, 07:59 PM   #329
Glenn E. Meyer

When you shoot a run of 10 shots at a target (broken into strings), why is it that when 9 holes are counted, your shooting buddies of many years, don't believe you put one through the same hole. It isn't that hard at 20 yards with a handgun, now is it?

Old January 8, 2012, 08:07 PM   #330
3kgt2nv

dont drop the slide before the mag is all the way into the gun
Old January 8, 2012, 08:13 PM   #331
oldmanFCSA

Match Director VS Match Competitor

I've learned you can't do both at same time.
The concentration required to accurately shoot is not there, when worried about safety of others and properly directing the Match.

Oh Well - the good of the One or the good of the Many - however SPOCK said it.
Old January 9, 2012, 12:20 PM   #332
Jesse Tischauser

Here is two.

Always ground your shotgun in safe even if you think you shot it dry because it can jam and you can get DQ'd.

Always do a complete walk through no matter how easy the stage.
Old January 21, 2012, 02:31 AM   #333
Jeff22

short sight radius

We finally have CCW in Wisconsin.

Since the law changed in November, lots of guys at our local club have some to matches using concealment holsters and smaller guns. Their intent is to practice with what they carry with, and I think that's an excellent idea.

They are finding that smaller guns have shorter sight radius, and if the grip is short, the gun feels different in the hand. They're finding they have to downshift a few gears to get good hits on target, in comparison with the speed they could achieve with competition holsters and specialized competition guns.

I've always competed (mostly) with whatever my duty gun was at the time.
Old January 22, 2012, 11:19 AM   #334
Glenn E. Meyer

Be careful with your own reloads. I don't reload but in the past two weeks, I saw home brew:

1. Blow up a Glock
2. Squib a 1911
3. Seize up a SW 625 with some primer problem.

Also, remember the order to shoot things (duh - that's me). A procedural.
Old February 6, 2012, 01:10 AM   #335
Jeff22

IDPA classifier

I shot an IDPA classifier match last Saturday night.

I used my Colt Combat Commander in .45 in Custom Defensive Pistol Division (same gun I occasionally use in the single stack division in USPSA/IPSC)

Shot the best score I've ever had in CDP -- still high in "Marksman" class with that gun.

I usually do well on Stages I & II and have difficulty on Stage III. Like most people.

Last night everything went pretty well except that I had two clean misses on Stage II, which is very unusual for me.

One of them occurred for certain on the string where you engage the targets while moving forward. And the other? Maybe on the string where you engage the targets strong hand only? Or possibly while retreating? I have no idea.

I shoot strong hand only and weak hand only all the time. I get a limited opportunity to engage multiple targets while advancing and while retreating. (That's one of the reasons I shoot in matches -- to do things I can't do in "normal" practice at the range because safety rules preclude certain things)

I shot well on Stage III this time, although I did dip a few shots low. I made an effort to concentrate on trigger control and properly resetting the sear from shot to shot at distance and it worked. I also made an effort NOT to crowd cover, when shooting from the high barricade and around the sides of the barrel, and that helped too.
Old March 4, 2012, 01:10 PM   #336
Glenn E. Meyer

Do not shoot at your toes! Saw that twice with carbines this weekend.

Trigger / finger - think there is some rule about that, somewhere.
Old July 15, 2012, 11:41 PM   #337
10-96

For the moment, I'm wearing a air cast/walking boot and still opted to shoot a local highpower rifle match yesterday. Pain, and delays in getting prepped and into positions makes it easy to overlook things.

What I learned was... making sight adjustments are truly meaningless when your spotting scope is looking at another shooters target.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old July 16, 2012, 04:32 PM   #338
LSnSC

I SUCK at weak hand loading a pump shotgun.

Make sure your earplugs are in well when shooting a compensated 308.
Old July 23, 2012, 09:47 AM   #339
Glenn E. Meyer

Hydrate!! Seen two guys come close to crashing here in TX lately.
Old July 23, 2012, 03:01 PM   #340
Don P

Quote:
When you shoot a run of 10 shots at a target (broken into strings), why is it that when 9 holes are counted, your shooting buddies of many years, don't believe you put one through the same hole. It isn't that hard at 20 yards with a handgun, now is it?
I have the very same issues and they continue to call "MIKES" on the rounds passing through the same holes. Every once in a while i catch a glimpse of Superman's cape passing in front of a target just as my bullet gets there

I'll also swear that they use lead resistant pant just before I shoot steel targets. Man they like to toy with me trying to make me think I shoot worse than I do
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old July 23, 2012, 03:10 PM   #341
Husqvarna

frail old dudes gets extra strength, ability, vision and agility with a gun in their hands, never underestimate them

oh and i probably should get that comb raising thingy
Old August 5, 2012, 06:32 PM   #342
80viking

Be more mentally prepared.

I did not hear the command to fire but my opponent did, so for some reason I decided to play catch up, which did not work out. All I had to do was ask for a re-shoot before firing my first shot.
Old August 5, 2012, 11:12 PM   #343
SG29736

I haven't shot a lot of USPSA, mostly IDPA, ICORE and SASS. I shot my first bigger match, Golden Bullet in Richmond,Ca., and when I look at the detailed score, I realize that I have to speed up and accept a few more C's. I shot very accurately, but I can see that it's difficult to make up 4 or 5 seconds on a stage by getting more points on the stage. I was about 97% of the available points,with no no shoots, procedurals or extra shots or hits. Just have to find the right balance to score my best in USPSA matches. Mark
Old August 6, 2012, 04:49 PM   #344
langenc

Bench rest--

consistancy!! and watch the wind. When you get a good wind condition-shoot fast.
Old August 26, 2012, 07:19 PM   #345
Glenn E. Meyer

Not me but if you take newbies to a match, please:

1. Give the correct magazines for the gun you lent them. Nothing like seeing some beginner with a gun that won't fire as it has the wrong mag.

2. Get the newbie a decent holster. Not some weird horror that has a mag pouch in front to the gun part, so that when the beginner has to reload, they have to reach across body - what a mess.
Old October 3, 2012, 10:13 PM   #346
Chaz88

Even though you broke 49 out of 50 in doubles trap practice yesterday you can still soot a 22 in competition today.

No spelun and grammar is not my specialty. So please don't hurt my sensitive little feelings by teasing me about it.
Old October 19, 2012, 10:27 PM   #347
jgano59

Don't short pull my wheelgun trigger and expect the stage to go as planned, at least as far as round count is concerned. Pulling trigger 3 extra times for that last round to go raised a few eyebrows and used extra time. Oh well.
Old November 13, 2012, 09:43 AM   #348
Spats McGee
Staff

My first 3-Gun match

I just shot my 1st 3-Gun match on Saturday. Specifically, I shot at the "Choate Multigun Melee" at the Mountain Valley Sportsman's Ass'n outside of Hot Springs, Arkansas. I'm sure I could name a dozen things that I learned, but I'll just hit the top few, seeing as how this thread is "Name one thing that you learned at your last match.

1) A $600 Mini-14 with cheap, substandard magazines is capable of a malfunction.

2) So is a $2,000 AR using quality mags.

3) High-capacity mags count. Reloading takes longer than I thought, even in a semi-auto.

4) It's good to achieve all of your goals, especially when they are: (a) don't shoot anyone; (b) don't get shot; (c) arrive home with vision and hearing intact.
Old November 13, 2012, 11:35 AM   #349
RickB

I learned that just because I used only five rounds on the first string, don't count on needing only five for the second; replace that half-empty 10-round mag after each string!
Old November 13, 2012, 11:20 PM   #350
davery25

I seem to relearn this at every single match i go to.

I shoot in Military Rifle Club down here in Australia in which we have to shoot at targets at 100m, 200m and 300m usually (special matches go to 500m) with iron sights and we're given 3 minutes to fire 15 rounds at the 100m target during which i blaze through the 15 rounds in under a minute.

I score decently, but im sure id do better to take my time about it.