The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 17, 2012, 12:08 PM   #1
57shooter

P6 DA not working

I picked up a P6 at a gun show some time ago. I replaced the main spring and magazine springs and the gun shoots great, except it only works in SA mode. With the hammer down and a pull on the trigger, it pulls the trigger back but apparently it does not engage anything internally. However, if you rack the slide and leave it in the cocked position and pull the trigger it fires and ejects perfectly and then loads the next round as it should. Question: What is the most likely culprit as to why the DA action is broken?

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Old January 30, 2012, 12:40 PM   #2
57shooter

This is a SIG P6 (~P225), just in case there is any confusion.

Any ideas on the original post?
Old February 1, 2012, 01:16 AM   #3
10-96

I'll take a poke at this...

OK, pull your slide off. Right above the right grip panel below the slide engagement rail- you should see a half moon piece of metal sticking up. OK, pull off the right grip panel.

Now, there should be a long curved wire- the bottom end fits in a hole in the frame & the dogleg bend in the portion of the wire that curves to the left should be in a notch at the bottom of that piece of metal- NOT THE HOLE. This wire is a spring which holds/forces up the trigger connector (may not be actual name of part). Anyway, if that bar that connects the trigger and the sear/firing mechanism does not get pushed up- you should not have any double action going on. Look around this area and see if the wire/spring (or anything else) is not letting that piece of metal go upwards.

If all that is in good order and being pushed up, then I can only guess there is a chipping or breakage where it connects with the sear/hammer parts.

Also, check the rear slide rail area on the slide. There is a milled out area near that starts about 1/4" from the rear of the slide- it's rounded on the ends and reduces the thickness of the slide in that area by half. There should be no burrs or other obstructions in that area.

If the problem isn't there and easily fixed, then I'm sorry- I don't have any more ideas and can only suggest a trip to a Gunsmith. Good luck.

EDIT: Also look at the inside of the grip panel to make sure there is no burrs or debris that hinders the movement of that wire/spring and connector.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.

Last edited by 10-96; February 1, 2012 at 01:22 AM.
Old February 13, 2012, 06:14 PM   #4
57shooter

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll give it a look.
Old February 27, 2012, 02:08 PM   #5
57shooter

10-96,

Thanks for your help. Sure enough, the "Trigger Bar Spring" was bent upward and rubbing against the inside of the right pistol grip. When the grip is off, the DA works fine. I "adjusted" the spring and now the DA/SA works as it should. I will probably order a new spring for the P225, which should fit the P6 correctly and make it nearly as good as new.

Thanks Again!