The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old October 2, 2000, 09:32 AM   #1
Noban

Holy hell! When you touch off one of those 750 grain rockets, the earth moves. We were shooting at the range, prone on a cement slab under a sheet metal roof. The muzzle hung out over the gravel. The muzzle blast kicked up a cloud of dust at least 10 feet to each side, and literally moved me back on the pad. After just bore sighting and two minor adjustments for elevation, we were able to hold 1" groups at 100 yards. I know, standard expectations for a nice "lower" caliber rifle. But when you start thinking that a poor cheek weld will get you a scope in the eye and no matter what, your teeth are going to rattle, I was jazzed just to hit the black.

You gotta try a .50, at least once in your life. BTW, we were shooting surplus ball ammo.

Noban

[This message has been edited by Noban (edited October 02, 2000).]
Old October 2, 2000, 09:44 AM   #2
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Back in the earlier daze of TFL, we had a thread on favorite full-auto. My choice was the old Korean-era halftrack, with a "bucket" in the back with four .50s mounted on it. Just firing two at a time (it's good to always have a couple of guns with full belts, at all times) in the "fire a burst of six" mode is a real hoot. All four at once, and in sustained fire, is downright orgasmic.

Any way you slice it, the Big Fifty is an attention getter--at both ends!

Art
Old October 2, 2000, 11:37 AM   #3
chmeyers

I recently acquired one of the 82A1s and can't wait to fire it. What ammo were you using? I bought 100 younds of surplus ball and 100 rounds of tracer. Let me look at the calendar this weekend....
Old October 2, 2000, 03:53 PM   #4
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

Wait till weekend?
I'ld be calling my Boss: "Look, Man - Sumthin came up... I'll see ya Monday!"