The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old May 5, 1999, 05:55 PM   #1
Morgan

I'm finally going to try some gungames! I'm pretty excited about it, too, since I'm not racing bikes this year . Friday I'll run through the IDPA qualifier to be ranked for a match on Saturday the 22nd. Colorado Championships are in July, and I want to shoot as many matches as I can before then.

I've another question, however, concerning IPSC. There's an IPSC match this Sunday I'm going to try to make, but I want to make major. I know this will be total speculation, but will standard 180gr 40 S&W bullets really make major? I know the rules - they'd have to be running at least 975 fps - but I don't have a chrono to see what they're really doing out of my gun. The gun, by the way, is a relatively new HK USP40F (4.25" bbl, polygonal rifling). I owe whoever guesses closest to what it really comes to a beer .

Any expert advice for a clueless newbie to competetive shooting?
Old May 5, 1999, 07:46 PM   #2
WESHOOT2

CCI Blazer usually makes Major from most guns. Have fun, GO SLOW, be safe.

ps and dont buy anything new your first year
Old May 6, 1999, 12:47 AM   #3
Cheapo

I don't drink beer, but...

I'll guess Winchester whitebox 180s will go within 5 fps of 988.

And that's a guess. I've never chrono'd 180-gr factory ammo in .40 S&W.

155s will probably NOT make major.
Old May 6, 1999, 09:06 AM   #4
Mike Spight

Morgan: You should be OK with 180s out of your .40. If you can find some at the right price, you may want to use .40 S&W +P (yeah...I know, it's REALLY not +P and I know the tech reason why it's not) and you should get more plenty of a fps edge. CorBons run over 1000 fps with their 180 gr +P load.
The standard velocity 180s should be in the neighborhood of 975 fps...if I win, I'll be in the Springs 4-11 June to move my wife to Ft. Leavenworth...I REALLY like Fat Tire!

Have fun bud!

[This message has been edited by Mike Spight (edited May 06, 1999).]
Old May 6, 1999, 05:17 PM   #5
Morgan

Thanks, guys. It's kind of neat to be a "nervous novice" at something again. It's also nice to be doing something just for fun and education, though I'm sure to get those old competitive fires flaming soon, especially if I do well.

I may not be able to shoot at the IPSC match Sunday, but even if I only observe it should be interesting. And I just got an e-mail confirming my IDPA qualifier tomorrow, so I'll at least be getting my feet wet this weekend!
Old May 10, 1999, 04:01 PM   #6
Morgan

Well, the weekend was a bust. I didn't go shooting at all... The gentleman I spoke with at our local IDPA was under the impression I'd already taken their safety course, which is neccesary before one can shoot with the IDPA, so Friday's classifier didn't happen. My plan to go to the IPSC match on Sunday went by the wayside, too, with Mothers' Day, yardwork, and such mundanities (is that a word?).

So, I'm taking the IDPA safety class this Friday evening, and probably won't shoot till Saturday the 22nd. Good thing anticipation can be fun...
Old May 17, 1999, 04:18 PM   #7
bear

Morgan, if your still gonna try shooting a IPSC match you might want to check if the IDPA saftey course is suficent, most IPSC match's I've went to require/suggest this, usually comes with joining a club to shoot IPSC.
good luck and remember you don't have to buy a fancy race gun the first year, usually comes the second year....grin you might try looking up IPSC or USPSA on the web for more info. good luck.
Old May 18, 1999, 01:31 AM   #8
shortcut

Morgan & Bear,

IDPA does not have an official required safety course before match participation.

You are probably dealing with a local range regulation.
Old May 18, 1999, 11:33 AM   #9
Morgan

Shortcut - I think the instructor said that the IDPA just recently began requiring a formal "Match Conduct and Safety" course.

I took the little course on Friday evening. I didn't really learn anything, but it was fun. Also, I didn't know about the place they had the class - I little place with a FATS simulator, and a killhouse in the back, and the owner said "give me a call, when the HK rep comes to town we'll go shoot some Class III." Oh boy!

I'll do my IDPA qualifier this Saturday (finally).
Old May 24, 1999, 11:25 AM   #10
Morgan

Well, I did my IDPA qualifier on Saturday. Didn't do as well as Rob, but better than I expected. I'm told I did very well for someone with no match experience .

My corrected time was 155.46, so I qualified as Marksman. 152.73 is Sharpshooter in Stock Service Pistol, but I was shooting my USP40 cocked and locked, so I was in Enhanced Service Pistol - 138.18 for Sharpshooter. Perhaps I'll go hammer down next time out, as I don't believe there's any real advantage to the single action first shot at the ranges used.

Boy, that third stage is a bitch! That's what killed me - dropped way too many points, all from rushing myself.

I really enjoyed myself - I'm looking forward to more IDPA, especially the State Championship in July. I'm still going to try some IPSC, and also some steel matches. Then three-gun, maybe some high power... This is likely going to be an addiction!
Old May 26, 1999, 04:15 PM   #11
MarkCO

Morgan, MarkCO here. I taught the safety class along with Tom. If you need to Chrono loads, I'll meet you at my range and we'll make sure.

You did do well in the classifier. For others, we require the safety course but it is approved by the IPSC section co-ordinator as a replacement for the IPSC course.

I am shooting the 3-gun in Raton, NM this weekend but I would be more than happy to have you come along to some mathces. I shoot IPSC, 3-gun and others. Drop me an e-mail if you want and I'll LYK my match schedule.

------------------
Good Shooting, MarkCO