The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old February 4, 2009, 11:55 PM   #1
SirYancelot

2nd gun, main use: CCW - Help Please

Howdy! A few months ago, I was in the market for my first gun, so I posted on this terrific forum, got loads of opinions, and shameless product pitching , and ended up picking up what I have come to consider the quintessential "First Semi-Auto Handgun," the G17. Easy maintenance, very dependable, accurate, and not sexy at all .

So, here I am, staring down my CCW class in a couple weeks, and I am in the market for my 1st CC gun. I have roughly $600 to spend. Here's what I've narrowed my choices down to: S&W M&P 45ACP 4", Springfield XD 45 ACP 4", and FNH FNP 40 S&W.

They all feel fine in my mitts. I'd say, IMO, from favorite to least favorite in my hands, it'd be FNH FNP, S&W M&P, Springfield XD.

What I'm looking for is some insight into these guns from people that either use them regularly, or have at least shot them. I appreciate comments from others, but I need someone with hands on experiance with these 3 models. I really appreciate all the kind souls on this forum, and look forward to seeing what you all have to say regarding these 3 guns
Old February 5, 2009, 04:53 PM   #2
mrt949

Have m@p full size and compact in 40 sw .i am a happy camper
Old February 5, 2009, 05:11 PM   #3
oldkim

Just curious about CC choices

Just wondering since you already have a G17 (Full size pistol). The choices you have are pretty much full size to mid size guns and in various calibers.

Have you considered keeping it simple and going for a compact or subcompact Glock and stay in the 9mm ammo?

G19 or G26 both 9mm I would guess are good carry guns.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not a Glock fan but since you started out on this platform and this is your second gun - just makes more sense to keep in the same arena. Meaning, same caliber so you don't have to fuss around buying different ammo and also same make - cleaning and maintainence would be similiar.

Just some food for thought.

Check out my new website: www.shootonthemove.org
Old February 5, 2009, 05:48 PM   #4
tblt44

Reconsider a smaller gun
Old February 5, 2009, 05:54 PM   #5
Technosavant

Well, the three guns you list should all be plenty competent, but since you already have a G17, I would strongly recommend a G26. Like oldkim, I would think you'd be best off staying with the platform you already know- the different grip angles of the other guns could leave you having some difficulties transitioning between the two.
Old February 5, 2009, 06:39 PM   #6
SirYancelot

Actually, after sleeping on it, and reading the thread along the lines of "is 9mm enough stopping power," I did reconsider and made the decision that I'd go with a 9mm. I'm totally comfortable with my 9mm, so I'll just look into a more compact glock or FNH FNP(I've shot that at the range a few times, and absolutely love it). In regards to Springfield XD 4", I've heard that they're basically a Glock copy, no? Thanks for the input
Old February 5, 2009, 07:41 PM   #7
BillCA

Something not mentioned and since I'm not an expert on the Glock models... consider buying the compact version of your G17. If that's the G26, fine. Find out if the smaller gun will accept (and lock into place) the larger G17 magazines. This way, you're able to carry the smaller pistol and still have a back-up magazine of 17 rounds on your belt. Or in a bad situation, you can use the larger mags in the smaller gun.

Personally, for a CCW gun, I'd go with something thinner than a double-stack magazine gun. But that's a personal preference.
Old February 5, 2009, 07:50 PM   #8
Jmcdowel

Check this out

http://springfield-armory.primediaou.../SPstory11.php
Old February 5, 2009, 08:01 PM   #9
SirYancelot

Jmcdowel, thanks for that link...as the author stated: IMPRESSIVE
To those mentioning that I should get another Glock, even though many of you say you're not "glock guys," why? I understand I'm familiar with Glock and love mine, but I was thinking I'd like something that's functional, reliable, AND looks good
Old February 5, 2009, 08:04 PM   #10
golfnutrlv

The Glock 26/17 magazines are interchangeable. I carry a Glock 26 daily, and carry a G17 magazine as a reload. Giving me 10+1 and 17 easily. I also have a full size M&P as well.

If you can try the M&P compact, that is a great choice as well. There about a million options for this question, but I agree with the other helpers, that you should stick with 9mm, and probably go down in frame size.

Also, try this link: Genitron handgun Selector

This might give you a few ideas. Make the search as general or detailed as you want!

Enjoy!
America is at an awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards.
Old February 5, 2009, 08:08 PM   #11
SirYancelot

Golfnut, awesome link! Thank you Thank you Thank you, that was favorited quickly.
Old February 5, 2009, 09:57 PM   #12
oneounceload

G17 and G26 magazines are NOT interchangeable - a G17 will fit in a G26, but not the other way around

That being said, if I already had a G17, then I would get the G26 - (I have and did exactly that)

The manual of arms is the same, the trigger, safeties, etc. are exactly the same; and if you like the 17, the 26, IMO, becomes a no-brainer
Old February 5, 2009, 10:17 PM   #13
btolliverjr

I agree with oldkim. The 4" guns you are looking at aren't that much different in size than the G17 you already have. Look for the M&P compact models. The 9 and 40 are a little bigger than the 45, but the 45 compact M&P is still smaller than the options you are looking at. I have shot both the M&P and the XD, but never the FNH. I don't like the XD at all. Even with never touching an FNH, I still would rank it above the XD
Old February 5, 2009, 11:00 PM   #14
orionengnr

Quote:
even though many of you say you're not "glock guys," why?
Because double-stacks are fat, and therefore more difficult to conceal. BT, DT. A G-17 9mm is just as fat as a G-19 .40. I don't know how they compare to a .45 Glock or XD, but I guarantee the .45s won't be thinner than the .40s or 9s.

A single-stack is thinner and easier to conceal, no getting around it. If this is not a problem for you, then carry on.
Old February 5, 2009, 11:06 PM   #15
golfnutrlv

If you are looking for thin, try the Kahr PM9 and its other relatives. Keltec makes 2 small polymer 9mm pistols as well.
America is at an awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards.
Old February 5, 2009, 11:20 PM   #16
engineer88

You NEED an airweight Jframe. You will appreciate revolvers for their differences and you already have a fine auto. A Smith and Wesson 642/637/638 (stainless so no fear of rust) can be carried in pocket, in waist, on ankle, etc. Very versatile. Listen to the wise sages here. They are telling you smaller is better because ease of comfort guarantees you will carry every day. We want responsible/rational people to carry. It protects you and us.

Once you learn revolvers (you have autos down already) the next gun you can buy will be either or and you will be fully comfortable with it.

For the record, just my opinion, if you are gonna go full to midsize 45acp, get a glock 30. It is the finest CCW 45 in my opinion. Softer shooting then any other 45 I have ever shot (and I have shot quite a few ), 10+1 in a decently small package, add an aftermarket finger extension (looks better), and you can carry a G21 mag for backup for 24 rounds of 45acp.

In any case try to rent a few of the choices, I promise you, once you shoot the 30, you will want one. I can tell you I carry one and could not be happier. Of course on days I can only carry my little S&W637 I am happy too.
Old February 6, 2009, 07:14 AM   #17
CDH

Each of the OP's considered guns are too big for daily carry "all the time", just like the original G17.
It's time to get more of a smallish pistol.

The G17 should be what you go through the CCW class with, but other pistols to consider for more concealed carry might be:

S&W 642 (an all time favorite of zillions of people)
Ruger LCP (the smallest and lightest you will find in a decent caliber).

Then if you want to work your way up to something in between your G17 and one of those, there is a large field to choose from.
Old February 6, 2009, 07:28 AM   #18
evan1293

Probably a g19 or 26 would make the most sense. As others have mentioned: same magazines, same trigger pull, same holster (depending on what you have). Same manual of arms as well as many of the parts being interchangable. For training, it would probably be your fastest method of progression by using basically the same guns for concealed carry as for range shooting.

If your looking into a .40, then the g23 may be a good option. I know a couple of gun owners that own both a g17 and a 23. The 17 is their range gun (cheaper to shoot, longer sight radius, etc), and the 23 is their carry gun.

For myself, I like the idea of having a system and staying within the same platform is a good, simple system.
Old February 6, 2009, 07:49 AM   #19
Don P

G26 makes the most sense. Easy to hide light enough at 26.1oz loaded.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old February 6, 2009, 08:28 AM   #20
tshadow6

2nd gun

Since you have a terrific 1st gun, I suggest you buy one of it's little brothers. The Glock 19 or the Glock 26. The great thing about GLOCK is you can get small, medium and large. If you buy a smaller GLOCK, you can use the same magazine in all three guns. The G-17 mags fit the 19 and 26. Now, I've been carrying the Glock 19 concealed over 10 years. I think the GLOCK 19 is as close to perfect a 9mm pistol can be.
Old February 6, 2009, 08:41 AM   #21
The Great Mahoo

Another vote for a smaller, thinner gun. It will make your life much easier when you can comfortably conceal it. I prefer single stacks, but I carry .45, not 9mm or .40.

I have the Glock 36 which I carry (as I sit here in fact) and find it to be a great choice. Fairly light, much thinner than ordinary Glocks, and holds 6+1 rounds of 45acp.

Tags
1st ccw , 45 acp , fnh , s&w , springfield