The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old February 4, 2013, 04:00 PM   #1
F23Blackwidow2

Looking for a good quality gun

Hello everyone,
I'm looking for a sub-MOA gun in 30-06 or .308. I got a $1000 dollar budget, but anything less is definitely appreciated. (I still have to buy a scope, right?)
I want a gun limited by my skill, not the other way around. Synthetic, wood, laminate; stainless, carbon steel; I don't care. I'm still in school, saving up for my first non .22. I don't care if I have to save up for years. I just want a gun that will last till its my time to walk through the pearly gates.

Crazy Accurate
30-06 or .308
>$1000
Will last for an eternity

Help is greatly appreciated,
Ken B.
Old February 4, 2013, 04:53 PM   #2
cw308

In 308 Cal. Remington 700 Tactical, 700 LTR, 700P (Police) or Savage 12 VLP DBM. Can't go wrong.
Old February 4, 2013, 05:03 PM   #3
hooligan1

Before I reply to your question, I'm interested to know why you wrote "sadly" by where you live?
Old February 4, 2013, 06:17 PM   #4
Picher

There aren't many guns that will be with you for you whole life. You'll decide you want something else in a few years (or less).

Find something you want to shoot or hunt with that fits you well, is light enough or heavy enough to meet your needs and is accurate enough for your goals.

I've not owned more than one heavy-barreled centerfire, which was too heavy to carry around, yet get great groups out of my sporter-weight barrels.

I'm very pleased with both my Tikka rifles, one a .223 Rem and the other, a .243 Win. You could do much worse for a rifle to enjoy for both accuracy and ease of use offhand and field shooting.

Other rifles that would meet your needs include Remington 700s in various forms that would meet your needs. I enjoy two of them, one a Stainless .270 Win.

Savage rifles are enjoyed for their accuracy and ability to more easily replace barrels. I used to own one when in school, but found that I liked Remington 700s better.

Ruger Americans are also pretty good rifles for the money. Many people like the Ruger Mod 77 MKII.

The only rifles to stay away from are the cheapest offerings from several firms. You have enough money to get something pretty nice.

You'll get many recommendations here, but without knowing just how the rifles would be used mostly, it's impossible to give a really good answer. My first centerfire was a .30-06, which was intended for deer, but ended up shooting more varmints than deer.
Old February 4, 2013, 06:19 PM   #5
gundog5

Both the 308 and 06 are capable of moa performance. I own or have owened ruger 77, browning a-bolt, remengton 700 bdl/adl. All shoot very well. I have friends who sware by savage. I would start by price matching (walmart has great prices) but I seldom by there as most mom and pop shops will get real close to there price. Pick the gun that feels the best to YOU and get the very best scope and rings you can. If you do not reload, try several different brands of ammo with the same weight of bullet to find the brand your rifle likes best. Happy shooting.
Old February 4, 2013, 06:32 PM   #6
jmr40

You want to hunt with it or punch paper. For a hunting rifle I'd buy one of the new production Winchester 70's.
Old February 4, 2013, 06:43 PM   #7
sc928porsche

Look into the Weatherby Vangurad II. Should be what you are looking for.
Old February 4, 2013, 07:45 PM   #8
phil mcwilliam

Another vote for the new Winchester model 70, topped with a 3-9X40 Leupold in either 308 or 30-06.
Old February 5, 2013, 04:06 PM   #9
F23Blackwidow2

Thanks everyone. I'm looking into the Model 70's, cause I always like them, but wasn't sure about the opinion on them.

Hooligan1, Did you hear about the new NY AWB?? That alone would make me leave, except for the fact that I have about 100 relatives within 50 square miles of my house.

Also, has anyone ever heard of snipercentral.com? I looked them up, and they sell a howa 1500 .308 with a tactical stock, bedded; a Harris bipod, and a Brownnells scope. Looks like a good deal, cause I know howa makes some pretty accurate, well built guns. Any experience??
Old February 5, 2013, 04:24 PM   #10
dylanf55

have you look at a sako a7 yet?? that is the gun im going to buy. it come with a 5 shot moa guarentee at 100 yards and im willing to bet probley the smoothest action that you have ever felt. right now you can get one at cabels for 599 blued or stainles for 650-670 some where in there( counldnt remember the exact price for the stainless) and they are very nice guns with a very good reputation.
Old February 5, 2013, 05:57 PM   #11
hooligan1

Well then we're happy your staying.
If I had a 1000.00 rifle budget Id hunt for a Savage 10, or 11, or 116, "Long range Hunter",
but only if its accuracy 1st looks second. About a month ago I was looking at Armslist In St. Louis Mo. and found a "Like New" Remington 700 Police, in the .308, and from several reviews these are really accurate, the seller wanted $900.00, FTF.
So If you hunt hard theres no reason you can't find the suitable rifle your looking for under that grand.
The Vanguard series VS2 are very accurate and come in under a grand, as do the Howa 1500's
My first pick would be something in a Savage, because they are most accurate.
Old February 5, 2013, 07:31 PM   #12
Hairbag

Ruger scout?
Old February 7, 2013, 10:09 PM   #13
Joe Chicago

Another vote here for the Weatherby Vanguard S2. I have one in .308 and it is very accurate with ammo it likes. The build quality is very high and the action is very smooth. It feels far more substantial and better finished than some other inexpensive rifles such as the Ruger American, Marlin X7, etc. It is a tad heavy (around 7.5 lbs) and it has a two stage trigger, which is not to everyone's liking. If you are partial to two stage triggers, the one on the S2 takes up around 1/8 inch then breaks clean at a touch under three pounds. Forget the factory MSRP; you can pick one up around $450.

As others have noted, you should also look at the Savage 11/111, Tikka T3 and FN produced 'Winchester' Model 70s.

I would avoid Remington 700s produced since Freedom Group bought them. Some people have had great luck with new 700s, but many are lemons and have to go back to the factory. Look for a good condition used one - with your budget you could buy a new barrel.

There are many rifles that will fit the bill for you and leave you plenty of money for optics and upgrades. Handle a few - or better yet shoot them if you can - and see which one fits you best.

Last edited by Joe Chicago; February 7, 2013 at 10:17 PM.