The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old January 5, 2013, 04:22 PM   #1
h518may

ruger lcr or s&w bodyguard

I had the chance today to check out the lcr, one of my potential pocket gun choices. SWEET trigger, light as a feather, really liked it. but s&w has the bodyguard. anyone have experience with one or even both of the guns to give an opinion? ( by the way, i am talking lcr w/ laser, as i want a laser on my pocket gun i will be getting.)
Old January 5, 2013, 04:46 PM   #2
Technosavant

IMO, for the gun itself, it's six of one, a half dozen of the other. I've not messed much with the LCR, but I do have a Bodyguard 38.

I think if the laser is part of the equation, though, then the LCR with Crimson Trace is going to be better. The BG's laser activation button is in a very awkward spot and is not easy to turn on. Half the time my thumb is not on the button, but on the elevation screw. The CT grips on the LCR are far more intuitive.
Old January 5, 2013, 04:51 PM   #3
Carry_24/7

I have an LCR 38Spl. Very lightweight gun, easy to carry. Downside....for me it's a belly/short range gun. It kicks like a mule, and is very difficult to be accurate with.

On +P ammo it's downright unmanageable.

I will keep it though.
Old January 5, 2013, 04:57 PM   #4
jmortimer

I have the LCR .357 and for me, it is sweet. But I'm a revolver guy. It may say .357, but for me it is a .38 and it absorbs recoil beyond what its weight would suggest. I use the Grizzly Cartridge .38 Special 158 grain hard cast WFN
http://www.grizzlycartridge.com/stor...ef=GC38SP%2BP8
Old January 5, 2013, 05:19 PM   #5
jephthai

I run the LCR with the boot grip. The Hogue grips (non-laser) are fantastic for reducing recoil. Nevertheless, if you're used to revolvers and willing to practice, the recoil isn't THAT bad. I'd rather shoot 110gr in the LCR than heavy magnums in a full weight gun.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2
Old January 5, 2013, 09:48 PM   #6
h518may

i am a longtime revolver shooter, and a lover of .357 mag. dont think that is much of a consideration. i have to say where i dont particulary care for the turn on button/switch for the laser on the smith, i DO like the actual placement of the laser much better as it seems to be more in line with the barrel of the gun.
Old January 5, 2013, 11:49 PM   #7
arizona98tj

carry 24/7....maybe some more practice is necessary? I've never been kicked by a mule but have been kicked by a horse. I can tell you that the recoil impulse from the LCR, even with +P ammo, is not even close to what a good horse can deliver.

That being said, here is a target I was shooting while dialing in the Crimson Trace laser. I consider the LCR to be a self defense gun....and I don't see this group size being a problem when the target would typically be center of mass. What kind of accuracy are you experiencing with yours?

Old January 6, 2013, 08:05 AM   #8
Carry_24/7

Arizona; good on ya, you're better than me with it. Sure, first shot, holding steady, planned grip, taking my time....bulls eye at 10 yards. But that's not how I shoot for defensive purposes. I cannot handle and maintain accuracy with my LCR during drills (yes, my range allows rapid fire) as I can with all my other pistols, especially with +P ammo.

But, that's just me.
Old January 6, 2013, 09:21 AM   #9
Viper225

The LCR 357 is a little heavier than the LCR 38. This also helps with recoil some. I agree with the poster above most 357 Magnum ammunition will kick way to hard. The Speer 135 short barrel is only slightly hotter than 38 +P, so it might be tolerable. I think I carried Short Barrel 357 in my LCR 357, but I do not remember ever shooting any in it.
The Crimson Trace Laser Grips are hard to beat for a revolver laser. The grip activation switch works very well.
The laser switch on the bodyguard is unhandy from most reports.

I conceal carry several revolvers in J, K, L, and N Frame. I am totally comfortable carrying several different ones because they all work exactly alike.
The Bodyguard would be OK for a person only carrying a single revolver. The cylinder release would probably be an improvement over the older design, if you were using it exclusively. Also for the Left Hander the cylinder release should be easier to operate. Likewise the different grip angle would not be a problem if you were just carrying the bodyguard.
Good Points: It has a pined on front sight so it would be easy to change for an XS Tritium 24/7 Night Sight.
It is a little lighter than a 442.

Shooting reports differ, some seem to have great triggers while others are rated at way heavy. Same thing I read about the LCR. The one thing all the shooting reports have in common is, The Bodyguard Kicks Hard. This probably has to do with being lighter, as well as the different grip angle.

Caution: If you get a bodyguard wet get the batteries out of the laser and get it dried out ASAP. The wet batteries will kill the laser from the reports I have read.

Bob
Old January 6, 2013, 09:57 AM   #10
Genepix

I own both, as well as a 642. They are all snappy and require practice in order to shoot them well. I do not like the laser switch on the Bodyguard- would prefer Crimson Trace grips on any of them. However, considering the purpose of any of these pocket pistols, I don't think a laser would be that helpful anyway.
Old January 6, 2013, 10:18 AM   #11
Leejack

Snubbys are snubbys!

With allot of practice you can be awesome with one, and they are fun at the range.

I think of them as a short range, save your life type deterrent. I don't see the need for +P and wouldn't choose a .357 (in a snub), but that's just me.

14oz, 15oz, 19oz, 21oz, it's all good!
Old January 6, 2013, 11:37 PM   #12
MQP

Friends,

I have several 2" S&W's and the Ruger LCR.
I use .38 Special BuffaloBore standard pressure hard lead wad cutters, even in the .357 revolvers.
https://www.buffalobore.com/index.ph...t_detail&p=111

I carried the S&W Model 640 as my CCL weapon before the LCR.
Now, I only carry the LCR.
I find it lighter, as accurate as the 640, but with a superior action.

As an aside, the LCR has the Crimson Trace grip.
Two big farm dogs attacked me while photographing.
When the laser hit their eyes, they fell over their feet trying to stop.
A real good reason for having the grips!

MQP

Last edited by MQP; January 6, 2013 at 11:48 PM. Reason: Crimson Trace information
Old January 7, 2013, 02:21 AM   #13
YankeeIronSights

I owned a S&W Bodyguard 38 and sold it because the fixed sights were not properly aligned to shoot point of aim. I would consistently end up with groupings 4" to 5" left from bulls eye. The laser could be set to make the gun shoot ok but I prefer to rely on iron sights instead of the laser. I later learned through other blogs that some Bodyguards had barrel assembly defects. That explained everything. I would imagine that S&W has corrected the problem by now...

I bought a LCR 357 and love it. No need to look back, although I think the Bodyguard had interesting features.

Rent both firearms at the range. Then, make an informed purchase.
Old January 7, 2013, 04:20 PM   #14
h518may

Thank you everyone for your input. I hope to have my new pocket gun by end o feb. will post again when I bring home my new " friend "! Thanks again!!
Old January 7, 2013, 04:32 PM   #15
Technosavant

Quote:
I later learned through other blogs that some Bodyguards had barrel assembly defects. That explained everything. I would imagine that S&W has corrected the problem by now...
My first one was like this. S&W replaced the entire gun. The replacement has been 100% in every respect. I don't know what problems caused them to make some bad ones, but they did take care of things.
Old January 7, 2013, 04:38 PM   #16
RUT

>>Downside....for me it's a belly/short range gun. It kicks like a mule, and is very difficult to be accurate with.<<

Welcome to the world of snubbies!
Old January 7, 2013, 10:20 PM   #17
bedbugbilly

When I was looking for a lightweight snubby for CCW, I checked out both the LCR and the Bodyguard. In my opinion, it was six of one and half dozen of another. I liked both of them but the LCR felt better in my hand. I opted to go with the 357 LCR so I'd have the option of either 38 Spl or 357. I love it - light and easy to carry - I carry OTB. Mine shoots well at SD distances - trigger is smooth and I really enjoy it. That said, if the Smith Bodyguard had felt good in my hand - I would have gone with that one had I liked it better than the LCR. Personally, I think either one is a good choice - depends on what feels best when you hold it.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old January 7, 2013, 10:25 PM   #18
afone1

Smith & Wesson 642. Best snub nose .38 out there.
Old January 10, 2013, 06:54 PM   #19
INMY01TA

I like both but the LCR gets my vote.
Old January 20, 2013, 03:44 PM   #20
DocHopper

Had the bodyguard and traded it, very painful to shoot. Didnt like it at all. I was flinching so bad I couldnt hit anything outside of 10 feet.
Old January 20, 2013, 05:44 PM   #21
RamItOne

Bold wins

LCR .357 vs S&W BG .38spl

LCP vs S&W BG .380

I'd go with the LCR, not a overall ruger fan (carry the BG 380 for edc) but was very impressed with the trigger feel on such a reasonably priced revolver.

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...rtant/DJyvnHz0