The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 6, 2011, 08:57 PM   #1
bowhunter78

what shotgun to buy

im looking to buy a sbe2 are they all what they say they are? ill mainly use it for waterfowling so it will get shot alot how bad do they realy kick ? is there anything that would be beter ?
Old March 7, 2011, 05:05 PM   #2
Slugo

I only have experience with an M2, but the SBE has got to be just as good. Incredible shotguns, but then for the price, they better be...
Old March 7, 2011, 05:24 PM   #3
BigJimP

When it comes to Inertia guns / you have to compare them to the "gas operated guns" ....

I like the Benelli Inertia guns ...and for their models, that have synthetic stocks - and if they then come with the Comfort Tech system in them ...I think their recoil is about the same as a "gas operated gun" ...maybe a hair more.

If you buy a Benelli without the Comfort Tech system in it ...synthetic or wood stocks - they'll give you about 25% more recoil than a gas operated gun.

But to be more specific is very hard ...and not a definite % - only an estimate / because its next to impossible to measure just in a casual sense. One other issue on the Benelli's - in general - they're very light guns / which means you are going to get more recoil. The heavier a gun is / the less recoil it will give you / and even adding 1 lb to a gun can reduce recoil by almost 20% ....

Inertia guns shoot cleaner than gas guns - and they're much easier to fully strip and clean as well / the inertia guns are generally lighter ....but today's gas guns are better than ever ... Winchester, Browning silver series, Beretta 391's, etc ...are all good guns. It comes down to what you want / what fits your budget ....and most of all, what gun fits you the best / so it will hit where you look. Some guns have more adjustability / with shims, comb inserts, etc ....and the more adjustability in a shotgun the better / so you can adjust it properly.
Old March 7, 2011, 10:29 PM   #4
minnpatriot

saiga 12 with long barrel, add in a choke and you got a very reliable gun with fast follow ups.........does your state allow duck hunting with semi auto's ? dont forget the limit on how many rounds you can have in the mag.
Old March 8, 2011, 10:34 AM   #5
zippy13

minnpatriot,
With the Saiga, the problem may not be that it's a semi-auto, but that it has a detachable mag. The federal restrictions for ducks are:
No persons shall take migratory game birds:
(a) With a trap, snare, net, rifle, pistol, swivel gun, shotgun larger than 10 gauge, punt gun, battery gun, machine gun, fish hook, poison, drug, explosive, or stupefying substance;
(b) With a shotgun of any description capable of holding more than three shells, unless it is plugged with a one-piece filler, incapable of removal without disassembling the gun, so its total capacity does not exceed three shells.
It seems that the ability to simply change to an unblocked mag doesn't comply with the "incapable of removal without disassembling the gun" requirement. Perhaps you are aware of a specific interpretation that allows the use of detachable mags on migratory birds.
Old March 8, 2011, 10:46 AM   #6
jmortimer

For me the Browning Maxus is the best choice. Faster shooting and less recoil and as reliable, or more reliable, as any semi-auto shotgun.
Old March 8, 2011, 11:03 AM   #7
HUNT24/7

I shoot a SBE II & it is fantastic!!! The recoil doesn't bother me, but everyone is different.
Old March 8, 2011, 05:58 PM   #8
pabuckslayer08

Great gun, no need to worry about gas or it seizing in bad weather and they kick no different than any other gun imo. They should technically but with all Benelli's innovation they are like a .22 on the shoulder with low brass. High brass they give a little punch but just like any other high brass gun
Old March 8, 2011, 08:11 PM   #9
BILLDAVE

Winchester SX3.
BILLDAVE
Old March 8, 2011, 10:05 PM   #10
rottieman33

PHP Code:
 (bWith a shotgun of any description capable of holding more than three shellsunless it is plugged with a one-piece fillerincapable of removal without disassembling the gunso its total capacity does not exceed three shells.
It seems that the ability to simply change to an unblocked mag doesn't comply with the "incapable of removal without disassembling the gun" requirement. Perhaps you are aware of a specific interpretation that allows the use of detachable mags on migratory birds. 
Just talk to fish and game friend of mine. He says there is no law saying you can't use detachable mags. you have to make it so it can't hold more then 3 rounds. But he did tell me if you got caught with another mag that was not modified to only hold 3 rounds then you would be in trouble. Just so you know not trying to pick a fight.
Old March 10, 2011, 09:39 AM   #11
Deerhunter

+1 for the Browning Maxus.

I got mine last summer. I use it for waterfowl hunting and I love it. It is light so carrying it out to the duck blind isn't bad. It really cuts recoil and the action is fast. I got the 28 inch barrel with 3.5 inch chamber in the duck blind camo. I love that gun. Glad I chose it over the others (SBEII, Remington 11-87, Beretta).
Old March 10, 2011, 09:44 AM   #12
dawico

Go for the SBEII, they are awesome. I haven't shot any of the other guns mentioned, but the Benelli is great. If that is what you want, you will not regret it.
Old March 10, 2011, 02:24 PM   #13
zippy13

rottieman33,
Thanks for the heads-up on the detachable mags. I'd still check with the local officials before using a detachable mag in a different jurisdiction.

One of my buddies was a ranger for the National Forrest Service before he was promoted to a desk job. He said that firearms enforcement had a lot to do with attitude. If you'd made an honest mistake, then you might get a warning; but, if you pulled a hard attitude, you were going to suffer. He said the leaner was the easiest bust: He'd ask to see a shooter's ID and the guy would lean his gun against his car while going for his wallet. Then the ranger could cite him for violating the part of the regulations that prohibit having a loaded gun in or about a motor vehicle.

We've all seen those magnetic gun racks that you stick to your fender. Use them only for unloaded guns, else you might get busted for having a leaner.
Old March 10, 2011, 03:43 PM   #14
Jack O'Conner

Mossberg pump action fitted with a Limb Saver pad is a good choice!

Jack