The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 1, 2006, 01:16 PM   #1
jhgreasemonkey

scope came off and whacked me one!

Darn it. I was shooting friday. Was putting some slugs and also patterning 3" buckshot loads through my Baikal izh94 O/U. I was on the 10th shot, pulled the trigger, and something blasted me in the nose! Heard a "ta-tink" and saw my scope hit the ground! What the hell? Aw son of a- I just had the scope mounted and bore sighted. I even verified it was tight. The gun came fitted with a 3/8 rail. I figured since they made it for a clamp on scope without locking pins it would be okay to use that. There is no holes in the rail for pins. It didnt handle the recoil. Any suggestions? Thanks.
Old May 1, 2006, 04:35 PM   #2
jcadwell

I assume the screws came loose, rather than ripped off. If that is the case, try some loctite on the mounting screws. Red loctite will pretty much ensure it doesn't come off.
Old May 1, 2006, 07:38 PM   #3
cntryboy1289

replace the scope base

If you can replace the base with a weaver rail that has the slots, I would do that to make sure it doesn't happen again. You could always have a slot machined in it for each ring as well.

I have used epoxy on the back of the rings though and had very good success with this as well. Make sure to roughen up the area with 300 grit paper and then degrease it. I use bedding compound, but most any good 12-24 hour gel type epoxy will work for you. Mix it up and use a tongue depressor or plastic knife or whatever you have to place a decent size dallop behind each ring on both sides. Once it has dried, I use my dremel type tool to remove most of the excess. I would advise you to either use a clear epoxy or one that can be dyed black or is black to help hide it though.

Just have it rebore sighted and then dial it back in once you have the change over or repair done on it.
Old May 2, 2006, 10:39 AM   #4
jhgreasemonkey

The scope rail doesnt appear to be removable. So I attatched the scope using a liberal amount of locktite and torqued the heck out of it. Maby I'll use a safety helmet this time I go shooting
Old May 2, 2006, 03:04 PM   #5
cntryboy1289

still may need to use epoxy

Even with the loctited screws, it may still move on you. If it does, simply apply some behind the rings on both sides after scuffing the aluminum and degreasing. I had to do this on several myself.
Old May 2, 2006, 11:23 PM   #6
Bigfatts

I once had this happen with a .30-06 I bought. I was at the range sighting it in and the scope FLEW off on the 4th shot. It took 15 minutes for the people around me to stop laughing at me for diving over the bench to keep the Nikon from hitting the cement. Check the rings. The dummy that sold me the rifle put Weaver rings with square cross bolts on bases with round slots, there would be nothing that would keep those in place. The old square peg round hole thing...
Old May 3, 2006, 01:46 PM   #7
jhgreasemonkey

Good save! I was still trying to figure out what the hell busted my nose open when it hit the ground. the first thing I did was look around to see if anyone saw my fancy shooting technique. Fortunately for me no one saw this although I did get some funny looks later. My wife now calls me by the proud name "Shooter McGavin".