The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old March 24, 2013, 12:15 PM   #151
Winchester_73

First, here they are to compare and contrast, Diamondback and Python.

I know what imfdb says about Tyne Daily in the Enforcer, but it many shots it does look like a Diamondback. There are numerous errors in iamfdb, and keep in mind, it is only the opinion of their editors based on screen shots, its not like they got the proof of their claims for gun identification. For example, in the pic in this thread. Notice the profile of the hammer, it comes straight back, and the spur looks almost parallel to the barrel, as if it hardly has a curve at all - that is a diamondback profile. A Python hammer spur arches up, and is more proud. It is also more diagonal overall, pointing up slightly compared to the bore axis. Also, a diamondback hammer is shorter and more stout at the neck, but a Python hammer has a thin neck and is longer. In that photo, it definitely more closely resembles a Diamondback hammer. Here is another shot making the hammer look short and stout, not longer and thin.

Also, there is the trigger guard. On a diamondback, it tapers down forward from the back or you could say it enlarges slightly as you go from the front to the back, towards the grip. However, a Python trigger guard is almost perfectly symmetrical. In the shot of Tyne Daily top, it looks as though the trigger guard is enlarging although it is obscured by the plant.

And finally, if you look at the cylinder, it looks like it is a large part of the gun, which it is for either model. However, the D frame of the Diamondback is smaller and therefor makes the cylinder appear larger. The cylinder size was actually made for the Colt medium frame E and I, so the Python looks more natural, like each part size is appropriate, and well proportioned.

I think it was a Diamondback BUT they could have used both. Perhaps for shooting sequences the Diamondback or vice versa, with the PYthon being for carry sequences. The Python would have certainly been heavier for her to carry throughout the movie than a diamondback.
Old March 25, 2013, 11:51 PM   #152
Jeff #111

Some good points. I'll bring them up over there since I am one of the moderators on imfdb. But you are incorrect about one thing Winchester 73. Sometimes there is proof. Not always, but sometimes. A couple of the moderators are in the business and have access to many of the guns used by actors in the various movies. Records are kept by the gun rental businesses.

For example you can see the cut down shotgun used by Denzel Washington in "Man On fire", the Beretta 92 used by Mel Gibson in "Lethal Weapon" and also used by Bruce Willis in "Die Hard" and the Colt Official Police used by Robert Stack on the 1950's television series "The Untouchables."

Perhaps a search could be done to see if it can be determined what she used in the movie.

However I do see what you are saying about the revolver. And you might be right about the possibility that there was a continuity error and Tyne Daley used both models. I think they're more careful about that now then they used to be.

Last edited by Jeff #111; March 26, 2013 at 09:17 AM.
Old March 26, 2013, 04:52 AM   #153
trapper300RUM

Best Movie Revolvers

The One & Only Dirty Harry
Old March 26, 2013, 04:59 AM   #154
trapper300RUM

Best Movie Revolvers

Chuck Norris In Lone Wolf McQuade Chuck is using a S&W model 629 Stainless or nickle 44 Magnum Good movie
Old March 26, 2013, 07:41 AM   #155
kcub

There is just a bit more metal at the front of the ejector rod housing on the diamondback I notice.
Old March 26, 2013, 09:25 AM   #156
Jeff #111

Okay I've sent a message to one of the moderators who works in the business. I can't promise anything, but if anyone can determine "exactly" what was used by Daley in "The Enforcer" it would be that guy.
Old March 26, 2013, 02:45 PM   #157
Grizz12

Josey Wales
Old April 9, 2013, 11:06 AM   #158
Jeff #111

Okay I changed it to a Diamondback over on imfdb's "The Enforcer" page.
Old April 9, 2013, 01:30 PM   #159
Wild-Bill

They Call Me Trinity (Terrence Hill)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yd8TpzioY6k

They Call Me Nobody (Henry Fonda/Terrence Hill)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-2hAJy_35w

Last edited by Wild-Bill; April 9, 2013 at 01:38 PM.
Old April 9, 2013, 01:38 PM   #160
justplainpossum

In case this wasn't mentioned...

Harrison Ford as Indiana Jones in Raiders of the Lost Ark. The scene with the Arab swordsman...
Old April 11, 2013, 12:33 AM   #161
Mr.Scott

Sledge Hammer ruled. He slept with it on its own pillow.
I like that he didn't have a silencer. He had a loudener.
And lastly, whenever he was at the end of someone else's gun and was told to drop the gun, he gently put it down. When told to kick it over, "I never kick a friend when they are down".
Old April 13, 2013, 02:47 AM   #162
craZivn

Don't forget that he also showered with it on, talked to it often and kept his skills sharp with a target that hung on the closet door in his apartment!
Ivan
Old April 13, 2013, 04:19 AM   #163
Death from Afar

I totally agree with everyone who said Dirty Harry. I mean...come on!
Old April 13, 2013, 01:34 PM   #164
Leejack

You've got to ask yourself a question?

Dying ain't much of a living boy.
Old April 13, 2013, 04:38 PM   #165
polosatik

Best movie for revolvers?

Le Professionel
Old April 13, 2013, 08:28 PM   #166
AID_Admin

Polosatik, indeed Le Professional shows as much (if not more) of a revolver as Dirty Harry. But unlike you, who I presume have Russian root, the guys in US don't know who Jean-Paul Belmondo is. I am not even sure that movie was ever translated from French to English

UPDATE with a picture:

Last edited by AID_Admin; April 13, 2013 at 08:43 PM.
Old April 14, 2013, 10:30 PM   #167
Wild-Bill

I just watched Clint Eastwood's Unforgiven last night.
This link will give you the guns used in the movie and screen shots of each.
http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Unforgiven