The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 6, 2012, 12:02 PM   #1
810wmb

Shot Some Magnum Primers In A Non Magum Load

i know it's been debated back and forth, but went ahead and tried it out.

i talked to a 30 years reloader who initially got me into reloading. he told me with the lighter loads i was shooting i shouldn't have any problems.

i shot about 100 rounds of 38 special out of my s&w 642

148 Grain DEWC over 3.0 grains of hp-38

the only thing different i noticed was a lot of ash/flaking falling out of the brass.
Old February 6, 2012, 12:39 PM   #2
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

If you had chrono'd the rounds you may have noticed a larger variation in velocity too but for all practical purposes it doesn't really hurt anything, it just isn't as efficient. To me a magnum primer is only for igniting powder that a standard primer may have difficulty igniting completely, ie ball powder or cold temperatures. I could be wrong, often am but that is what comes off the top of my old dinosaur head.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old February 6, 2012, 12:50 PM   #3
rclark

It all comes down to the powder as Old Grump has alluded to.... Has NOTHING to do with the cartridge or load. Ie, you DON'T just use a magnum primer because you are loading Magnum loads. It all comes down to the powder you are using. For example, IMR-4227 and H-110/Win 296 require Magnum primers. Unique, W-231, Green Dot do not. Does it hurt? Depends on the powder. For Unique, I've tested WLP, CCI-300, and CCI-350. Slightly different velocities but no biggie... it is primer insensitive. 2400 on the other hand, you get a 100+ fps difference between magnum and regular primer. Using Trail Boss loads, it depends, with one bullet type, my Extreme Spread get cut in half with a magnum primer. Another load, it works better with regular primer -- go figure. A chronograph is 'invaluable' here.

I haven't ran a back to back test with w-231 yet (at least I don't recall it), so can't say anything about it... yet.
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.

Last edited by rclark; February 6, 2012 at 01:05 PM.
Old February 6, 2012, 01:38 PM   #4
810wmb

For Unique, I've tested WLP, CCI-300, and CCI-350. Slightly different velocities but no biggie... it is primer insensitive.

this is the information i have been looking for!

i have about 4? lbs of unique i can use when shooting up the rest of these - they are cci's

thanks