The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 20, 2006, 08:13 PM   #1
Stump1

Clean powder for a snubbie

I recently started reloading, and the powder that was recommended to me for pistol use was 700-X. I was very vague in my question (I didn't know any better), and didn't tell anyone that I'd be using 158 gr RNL for my 357 snubbie (loading 38spl rounds).

After shooting about a hundred rounds, I've had very good success as far as consistency goes, but overall, I'm not pleased. It seems to leave my gun fairly dirty, and gives a nice puff of smoke.

I'm looking for suggestions on a good clean burning powder to go plink with.

Part 2: I also recently came across some cheap 125 gr JHPs. What powder should I put behind those?
Old March 20, 2006, 08:30 PM   #2
rnovi

Stump,

There are two parts to the smoke issue: powder and bullet lube.

The majority of the smoke that you see is primarily due to the bullet lube used on lead bullets. The lead itself burns and smokes off with light loads. It's a bit cleaner with heavier loads. I've yet to find any lead bullet that doesn't smoke other than the moly-coated bullets.

As to the powder, at least in my guns Clays is the least smokey.

I'd suggest trying a plated bullet with a bit of Clays powder. Bout as clean as you can get.

"Remember, Eagles may soar but Weasels don't get sucked into jet engines!"
Old March 20, 2006, 08:44 PM   #3
Stump1

Oh yeah

I didn't even think about that big wad of wax that was getting stuffed in there. Thanks.
Old March 24, 2006, 10:44 PM   #4
Stump1

Great Advice

I just loaded several rounds using the same powder and jacketed bullets instead of cast. What a difference. My gun was squeeky clean after 25 rounds. Using those cast bullets, my hands would have black stuff all over them after the same half a box.

I think I've got a nice cheap, CLEAN, target round now. Magtech 125 gr. JHP, IMR 700-X, CCI primers, and whatever used cases I happen to have. My math says that it's costing me $6.50/box of 50. I can get Aguila Wadcutters for $7, but I don't like the pain of cleaning the filth out of my gun. I can get Winchester FMJ at walmart at $19/box of 100, but even that seems to burn slightly dirtier than what I've put together here.

I've come up with a similar setup for my .45, and it has been very impressive.

Thanks for the help!
Old March 25, 2006, 08:54 PM   #5
JDG

A+ for the Clays! I load Clays for my 45,9mm,38... cleanest powder I've found
Old March 26, 2006, 02:53 PM   #6
hpg

Have you tried Bullseye powder? hpg