The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 28, 2016, 12:10 PM   #1
Sarge43

Normally a 1911 guy, buuuuuttttt.......

Thanks to another thread on a forum I started missing an HK USP .40 that I had let go a while back and got the itch for another one. I started looking around and ended up falling in lust with an FNH FNX-45 instead. It was at Cabela's for $769. Went to checkout and the friendly guy helping me told me "If you come back next Friday (which will be November 4, 2016) you can get this under the Employee Pricing Sale." We looked it up and that makes it $699 out the door, so I put it on layaway to make sure it didn't get sold out from under me, and will be back to pick it up next Friday. I've heard nothing but good things about the pistol and it's hard to argue with 15 rounds of .45.
Heck, I might pick up a few other pistols while the sale is going, you never know. Until then, any input on the FNH FNX-45 is welcome here, either good, bad or whatever. Can't wait to pick it up and get it to the range!
Sarge
Old October 28, 2016, 12:53 PM   #2
DubC-Hicks

You'll love the gun, I know I do. For being absolutely huge, it fits most people's hands quite well, and shoots like a dream. And you're right, 15 rounds of .45 can't be beat. Only downside is lack of aftermarket parts for FN in general.
Old October 28, 2016, 12:55 PM   #3
BarryLee

Well, coincidently I also love the ole 1911, but found myself browsing ads for the FN .45 earlier today. I currently own an HK USP40 and have been considering an HK .45acp, but thought I’d at least checkout the FN. So, be sure to update you post with a review/range report once you receive the gun.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old October 28, 2016, 01:01 PM   #4
Sarge43

Wilco! So far the plan (weather dependent) is to get there and pick it up between 9 and 10 next friday, then go straight to the range to test it out - so an initial review is coming.
I had the HK .45 in hand this morning also. As I said, I really liked the USP .40 I had previous, but to be honest, i couldn't justify the extra $300 for the HK over the FNH with both in hand. Everything on the FNH is ambi ($30 kit to change it on the HK) and that 15 rounds just kept popping up in my head as well. I have large hands, so just about anything will be comfortable for me and the FNH frame didn't feel too big by any means. Also checked out the M&P while there, but between the HK and FNH the M&P got put back in the case half way through comparing. Surprisingly, another one that caught my eye was the Berretta Storm in .45. While they're having a sale, might go ahead and pick one of those up too.
Anyway, thanks for the replies so far. I look forward to putting some rounds downrange with it!
Sarge
Old October 28, 2016, 01:27 PM   #5
smee78

I can say I love my FNX-45, great shooting pistol. When I let a friend talk me out of my 45 full size Glock I replaced it with the FNX-45, the mags are a pain to load when new, I used my Lula loader and let them sit for a week and after that it was better. This is the gun I use for working weekends at the gun store. When its at home it pulls bed side duty, hard to argue with 15+1 rounds of 45.
Old October 28, 2016, 03:17 PM   #6
DubC-Hicks

If you're wanting another full size .45 to go with it, check out the EAA Sarsilmaz K2 .45. It's a steel double stack that's very similar to the CZ97, except it's 14+1. My local Cabelas had one, not sure if yours would though. It's hard to find one in person. They run $370-450 online though.
Old October 28, 2016, 05:31 PM   #7
AKexpat

If You Are Normally A 1911 Guy...

You have deviated from the 1911 platform immensely!

If you could say why you like this over and above a 1911 SA (single-action, not Springer) semi-auto, that would be nice.

Instead you choose a DA/SA pistol that has very little to do with a 1911, except for the thumb safety, if that, and parade out what you feel is a superior pistol. Heck, my 1911 .45 has less bulk than your pistol, and it is STEEL. Alas, it only has a 7-round mag, although I have extra 7-round mags. If you need to get into a firefight and think you need a larger mag, you are looking for a fight. Mine is just HD/SD.

All of the tacticool crap means nothing to me. Are you going to carry it like that? If so, good luck.

Why don't you just say outright that you don't like the 1911 platform and leave it at that? Or tell us why you prefer your new acquisition versus the 1911?

I'm a 1911 steel .45 guy from way back, and all these new plastic DA/SA or DAO guns don't impress me a bit. To me, they are ugly. YMMV.

https://www.fnamerica.com/products/h...x-45-tactical/

In case of a home invasion, I also have a 1911 steel in .22 LR with CCI Mini-Mag .22 rounds. Not the best SD/HD pistol but it is a backup. Faster than a magazine reload.

Your choice.

Good luck with your new acquisition.

Jim
To be governed – is to be watched, inspected, directed, indoctrinated, numbered, estimated, regulated, commanded, controlled, law-driven, preached at, spied upon, censured, checked, valued, enrolled – by creatures who have neither the right, nor the wisdom, nor the virtue to do so. - Pierre-Joseph Proudhon
Old October 28, 2016, 05:38 PM   #8
Sarge43

Whoa Jim! Slow down buddy! Where did i ever say I was off the 1911 as a platform of choice? I have probably 60 plus pistols around and not all of them are 1911's, but most are. I like to shoot a variety of weapons from derringers through massive heavy caliber weapons systems on tripods. This is not a case of one over the other, but a case of simply more fun for all. When I train people, not all of them choose 1911's for their carry or defense weapon, and I don't force them to use one, I train them on the platform of their choice and make sure that they are comfortable and confident in their skills with the platform when we're done.
Do I think it will be interesting to compare the FNH to a 1911? Sure! I will in the upcoming review so all can compare the two. It's not an either or thing, it's a BOTH thing.
Sarge
Old October 28, 2016, 06:29 PM   #9
larryh1108

I agree, Sarge.
Did some posts get deleted that included everything Jim accused you of?

I guess liking something other than a 1911 in .45ACP is akin to blasphemy?

I love the 1911 platform but there is plenty of room out there for other guns that launch the .45ACP round.

What set Jim off?
Old October 28, 2016, 06:46 PM   #10
Sarge43

There weren't any other posts, so I don't know what got that train in motion.
Sarge
Old October 28, 2016, 07:47 PM   #11
JDBerg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge43:
....I started missing an HK USP .40 that I had let go a while back and got the itch for another one....
I missed my own USP40 until I got my HK45
Old October 28, 2016, 08:11 PM   #12
Pinky Carruthers

I have an FNP-45. It doesn't like WWB but, other than that it is a great pistol.
Congrats on the new .45.
SOM
Old October 29, 2016, 09:46 AM   #13
Nathan

Good to hear Sarge. That's how CZ drug me in too!
Old October 29, 2016, 11:36 AM   #14
BarryLee

Quote:
I like to shoot a variety of weapons from derringers through massive heavy caliber weapons systems on tripods. This is not a case of one over the other, but a case of simply more fun for all.
Yes, I agree while I don’t have sixty guns I have my fair share. Also, while I do have more 1911s than any other model I also enjoy mixing things up. Whether it’s a black powder revolver, GLOCK 10mm, .380 pocket pistols, SIG or some other handgun they can all be fun and interesting. As I mentioned earlier I have a USP40 not because I like the .40S&W better or see something wrong with other calibers. No, I just wanted one and have really enjoyed shooting the gun.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old October 29, 2016, 02:29 PM   #15
Mr. Hill

I like the FN guns, they look pretty high quality to me. Congrats, and please provide a detailed range report!
Old October 29, 2016, 08:12 PM   #16
Sarge43

I will Mr. Hill. Pick it up this coming friday, then straight to the range, then home for a "table top" review. It will be posted here as soon as it's done which will probably be friday night.
Old October 30, 2016, 08:10 PM   #17
kenny53

Looking forward to your range report. Got to love guns in different flavors
Old October 30, 2016, 08:29 PM   #18
stephen426

I have quite a few guns, but few have triggers as nice as my Les Baer Thunder Ranch Special. The Sig P210 comes close as does the HK P7M8, but no factory crunch ticker has ever come close to a nice 1911 trigger.

I might get grief for this, but high capacity is a bit over rated unless you are a police officer. Self defense shoots typically last just a few rounds. I sure hope you don't get into a home defense situation where you need more than 7 or 8 rounds. Besides, there are always spare mags.
Old October 31, 2016, 03:29 PM   #19
Sarge43

I have quite a few 1911's from lower end through Les Baer and DW up to total custom, and I agree, the triggers on them are amazing. I do however subscribe to the thought that it's hard to turn down extra ammo and the age old "I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it". I've had occasion to be very thankful for double the standard combat load a couple of times. My daily carry is a 1911 with extra ma(s) depending on dress. I don't know if a PERFECT platform exists, so I keep looking and trying different things out. Anyway, it's fun AND practical, so I enjoy it.
Sarge
Old November 15, 2016, 01:14 PM   #20
the45er

Don't know about the FN FNS 45, but let me tell you.....

Early this year Palmetto State Armory was blowing out an inventory of FN FNS 40 S&W's. At $379 shipped to my FFL, I couldn't pass it up. At the time the same gun was selling at a local shop for $579.

This gun came with night sights and three mags. Loaded it up and started shooting. It is as accurate as any of my pistols and has never jammed, even with my reloads.

What really killed me was that about 2 months after I bought this one, PSA ran a weekend special where they were selling the stainless slide model with night sights for $329! Man, I should have bought several of them!
Old November 15, 2016, 02:46 PM   #21
Tactical Jackalope

I'm not a fan of the FNX 45. But it is a great gun. It would be amazing to have 15+1 at one shot of .45ACP for home defense while suppressed. With a nice Surefire X300U up front as well. Mhmm...

I'm also one of the guys who loves 1911s. They're my soul / love guns. But for defense, my go-to .45ACP is the HK USP series. I have the full size and the compact HK USP 45s. My main 1911 at the moment is a Springfield Armory TRP. Love that thing and at the range I'm extremely accurate under slow and rapid fire. Subtracting stress from the equation.

For defense, a Glock 19, P229, HK USPs, and I would consider the FNX 45 if I liked it enough. Maybe I don't dislike it, I just prefer the HKs, Glock (21 & 41, and SIGs (P227 & P220) more.

So, I look forward to your review!
Old November 15, 2016, 05:22 PM   #22
Sarge43

Constantine,
Part I of the review is already up. Here's a link to the review on this site:
https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=581266
Part II will hopefully be done shortly.
Thanks!
Sarge
Old November 17, 2016, 02:58 AM   #23
DHart

TO me the FN-45 is much like the Glock 21. If the size of the gun feels "right" to you, then it's a damn great choice to make. Hi-cap forty-fives are soft shooting and get the job done nicely.

For some, though, the sheer size of these pistols will keep them from being carry guns. My favorite carry .45auto is the M&P45 Compact with 8-round and 10-round magazines. While the capacity is lower than the FN-45 and the G21, the M&P45C carries and shoots magnificently, packs that .45auto punch, and has reasonably good capacity.

Sarge... with your ample arsenal, you should consider including an M&P45C! It's not too small, nor too big. Just right for Goldilocks. Launches the great .45 auto caliber very comfortably. And I find that I can shoot it as well as most, and better than some 1911s.

Last edited by DHart; November 17, 2016 at 11:15 AM.