The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 27, 2012, 08:26 PM   #1
Tucker 1371

Federal 165gr Trophy Bonded .308

Picked up a box at Bass Pro cause the boolets looked purdy ...

Anyone used it? Last year I ran Hornady Superformance 165gr SST, I killed a big GA 11 point but he ran about 40 yds before he dropped. I am gonna be using it this weekend and I'm just curious if it's all looks or if it actually performs well too.

Gonna zero with it some time between now and friday.
OEF 2011 Sangin, Afg. Molon Labe
Old November 28, 2012, 12:54 AM   #2
big al hunter

He only went 40 yards! Thats pretty good ammo in my book. The trophy bonded bullets give good penetration. Excellent for big deer and elk. I like the performance I got from Hornady sst. Most quality ammo will have nearly identical terminal capability. Use what shoots most accurately in your gun. Bullet placement counts for more than bullet construction. The worst I have helped with was when my buddy shot a deer that was walking. The bullet hit the back leg, breaking the bone. We tracked that deer 400 yards before recovering it.
Old December 6, 2012, 07:22 PM   #3
whitearrow

hello GSUeagle. i also use the 165 grain trophy bonded tip in my .308 win. my son killed a 120 lb spike that was about 45 yds away and quartering away from us this past saturday. that buck went down so fast that my 8 yo son saw him go down in the scope. it was his first deer so we did the drt deer dance for awhile and hugged and high-fived for about 10 min. but don't hesistate to use this ammo as it went slam thru that lil buck and kept on going. there wasn't a big exit wound at all though. that would be my only bad mark for these bullets. they shot accurate and performed well. what else can you ask for?
good luck,
whitearrow
Old December 6, 2012, 10:54 PM   #4
langenc

Ill stick w/Remington Corelokts...1/2 the price and do 99% (or more) of the same job, if I do mine.
Old December 8, 2012, 12:53 AM   #5
fatwhiteboy

Rifle ammo is a funny deal. I reload to get the required accuracy for my .22-250, .308, .300 WinMag and .338. My model 70 in .270 Shoots Remington Corelokts the best. Ya never know...
Old December 10, 2012, 08:39 PM   #6
GeauxTide

Interesting method of choosing ammunition. As stated, the TBBC are very expensive, designed for penetration and weight retention. Unless you get well past 200# deer and hogs, a 150 Interlock or Corelokt will fill the bill nicely in the 308.