The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old November 27, 2012, 12:22 PM   #1
MikeWhite

Colt comes in today, optics?

Gentleman, I have a question. My LE6920 is getting to the FFL soon, and I was wondering, though I have experience with all the major players (Eotech, Aimpoint, Trijicon) which is the most, well, diverse. I have done a lot of shooting in the Marine Infantry with and ACOG type setup, and hated it at any sort of range, too much Kentucky windage, but haven't really used an Holographic or Dot sight for more than a couple days at a time, and never past maybe 100 yards. I know the durability on all three is outstanding, but was looking for some input from people who have used each for an extended period of time, pros and cons type scenario. Any thoughts are appreciates. I'm an iron sights guy, but figured I would treat myself on this one. Thanks.

Mike
Old November 27, 2012, 12:38 PM   #2
JimDandy

I'd suggest looking into what I ended up with.. I picked up the Vortex Strikefire, and a VMX3 magnifier with swingout mount. Two boxes, two pieces. ~$400-450, and works well. Truth be told, I don't feel the need to swing the magnifier out of the way. I'm not QUITE perfectly happy with it. It's just a TOUCH too long to completely co-witness with a BUIS, so I suppose eventually I'll swap out the MOE fore end for a quad rail, so I can shift both pieces forward an inch or two.
Old November 27, 2012, 12:41 PM   #3
JimDandy

As an extra thought, the Strikefire does come with a screw-in 2X magnifier. With that said the total-stranger RO (as in, I didn't know the guy from Adam, and he wasn't making any money on a sale from me) had the Strikefire with the 2X screw-in but not the magnifier. He loved it enough he said he was going to put it on his Christmas list.
Old November 27, 2012, 12:55 PM   #4
scsov509

It really depends on your goal with the optic as far as far as what is going to be best. A non-magnified reflex optic like an EOTech or Aimpoint is great for shooting up close and acquiring targets quickly, and can still be shot with accuracy out to at least 300 yards on man sized targets. I prefer the Aimpoint style optic over the EOTech for quick shooting, but the EOTech is widely regarded to be one of the most versatile reticles on the market because of its 60 MOA outer circle and more refined center dot. Such a setup allows some versatile use of the reticle that a single dot doesn't allow.

I think an even more versatile setup however is one of the many 1x4 optics available on the market from Leupold, Burris, Vortex, and many others. These optics provide you a wide field of view at the lowest power for quick target acquisition but at the same time provide some zooming power to extend your range with greater accuracy than a non-magnified optic. They're really the best of both worlds and definitely what I prefer for a do-all rifle/optic. Among those style optics, the Vortex Viper PST is one of my favorites right now along with the Leupold VX-R and Burris MTAC. If your looking for more of a budget priced optic, the Millett DMS is also a pretty decent option that is popular among 3-Gun shooters.